Gransnet forums

Chat

Extra special Pubs in my life

(74 Posts)
Dec46 Fri 07-Feb-20 13:00:27

I've just read that the Philharmonic Pub in Liverpool has been granted Grade 1 Listing and I'm very happy about this.It played a big part in my student days as it was just round the corner from the College I attended and friends on my Course met there every Friday afternoon. When I was older I used to take any visitors from out of the area to see how amazing it is.

My other favourite is completely different for the Phil ,it is the Square and Compass,Worth Matravers ,Dorset and that has been given Grade 2 Status. It is one of a small number of Pubs in the Uk to not have a Bar.It is in a beautiful setting and so relaxing to visit with such a lovely happy feel to it.It's also a place I take visitors to visit now I live near it.

Any Pubs that are special to you ,listed or not?

ninathenana Fri 07-Feb-20 13:27:13

Myddleton Arms affectionatly known as the Mydd. in Islington, London.

Where DH and I spent many happy hours including late "lock ins" before we were married. Great people both regulars and staff.
We still go there when visiting relatives.

Labaik Fri 07-Feb-20 14:06:33

The Cobweb; Boscastle. So many memories; so many characters. The piano player that we all thought was a witch; the broomstick dancing at New Year [or was it Christmas?]….

optimist Sat 08-Feb-20 09:43:27

Hate pubs. Hate drinking.

HurdyGurdy Sat 08-Feb-20 10:08:58

Oh optimist. Are you trying to be a thread killer?

This is a lovely topic and I'm looking forward to reading about nice pubs and the reasons they are special to people.

I don't really drink, but I do like finding pubs with nice atmospheres and "stories", to spend time in, to enjoy a soft drink. Or a meal/bar snack.

Jane10 Sat 08-Feb-20 10:13:49

Here's a pub I like the look of!

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 08-Feb-20 10:16:20

So many pubs around us have been sold for housing, our local is now more of a restaurant ,but they still play Aunt Sally regularly.
I remember a pub a few miles from us that had 2 resident dogs, the smaller one would take your 10 p and go to the bar and ‘buy ‘ itself a Milky Way , (obviously before the days when chocolate was poisonous for dogs!) the large dog was an Irish Wolfhound and took up most of the bar, this pub sadly also gone to housing.

gillybob Sat 08-Feb-20 10:17:25

www.seahouses.co.uk/theoldeship/start.html

My DH had a static caravan in Seahouses (Northumberland) many years ago but sadly had to give it up at the time of the financial crash. We lost our house at the same time which funnily enough didn’t bother me half as much . It was my happy place, my place away from the pressures of work and life in general.

This pub (The Olde Ship) was where you would find DH and I most Friday nights . Wonderful atmosphere and even more wonderful people . All the stories from the old “Sea Dogs” And some amazing characters.
I haven’t been back since we lost the caravan . Too sad.

Rebecca5 Sat 08-Feb-20 10:28:16

Dec46 You are very lucky to live near the Square and Compass which is my favourite pub and I was very pleased to hear that it had been given listed status. I live in Hampshire and my husband and I go there when we can as we love walking along that coast. It's the place I'd most like to be on a beautiful sunny day, sitting outside looking out over the sea and eating a pasty (although, horror of horrors, I can no longer eat them as I have to avoid gluten).

We have recently been to a pub called the Compass, at Winsor near the New Forest which was wonderful for me as they do 100% gluten free food and are very welcoming to dogs (we have a small schnoodle). Will definitely be going back there.

Purplepoppies Sat 08-Feb-20 10:52:08

Sadly all my happy memory pubs are now flats or bizarrely in one case a soft play centre ??‍♀️.
There are a few pubs I like in the city I live in now but I rarely go out these days. I'm not unsociable, the problem is few of my friends in the new city share my taste in music & vice versa.
My favourite pub from my younger years boasted a resident tattoo artist. Not many of those that I know of ?

Beechnut Sat 08-Feb-20 10:55:51

Another fan here of the Square and Compass. Many a happy time spent there.

Katyj Sat 08-Feb-20 11:09:10

gillybob we visited the olde ship last year, for lunch we had the smoked fish chowder, gorgeous,we were there for a short break and tried to eat there the next day ,but was fully booked. Happy memories.

GreenGran78 Sat 08-Feb-20 11:58:26

The Scotch Piper, in Lydiate, Merseyside, dates from 1320. Really Olde Worlde, with low ceilings and lots of atmosphere, it’s grade 2 listed.
I don’t drink, but enjoy going there for a meal if we are in the area.

Madmaggie Sat 08-Feb-20 12:00:26

gillybob & Katyj. We had a wonderful week in Seahouses 2 years ago, the first time we've been there. we rented a tiny stone cottage a short stroll to The Olde Ship and remains one of the best pubs we've experienced, the food is great, the staff & locals friendly. We were low season so managed to eat there twice in evening and once for lunch in the garden at the back with a great view out towards the sea. We were near a beautifully kept static caravan park which was a short walk along the shore path that went to the golf club, we'd sit there looking at the rocks & the sea and I felt sheer bliss. I feel for you losing your caravan BUT you never know what the future holds & hope fortune smiles on you again.

Shortlegs Sat 08-Feb-20 12:23:18

Optimist: I bet you're a real laugh at parties!

Notagranny44 Sat 08-Feb-20 12:23:32

whatpub.com/pubs/ABC/9543/olde-bull-inn-llanbedr-y-cennin
I love the Olde Bull, Llanbedr y Cennin, near Conway, which has recently reopened after being almost lost as a pub. It's a lovely old building with a great atmosphere and is in a wonderful spot in the Conway Valley, North Wales. We attend the quiz there every Thursday night - great fun!

Teetime Sat 08-Feb-20 12:44:09

The Three Horseshoes - Wensley - best sausages in a Yorkshire pud ever opposite the church where James and Helen got married in All Creatures etc etc.....

The Lunedale Arms Kirby Lonsdale- beautiful gastro pub great food and service

Little Manor Grappenhall- I meet up with my daughter here.

Street Head Inn Wensleydale - best sticky toffee pudding.

Dec46 Sat 08-Feb-20 13:25:12

Optimist , I don't usually drink alcohol when I go to a pub and some pubs are in amazing buildings,like The Philarmonic in Liverpool,worth visiting to see the incredible interior.
Square and Compass is an amazing place to sit outside and take in the amazing scenery as other posters have said. It seems to be a happy place for all who visit.
Ive been to Olde Ship in Sea Houses too and it is special gillybob.
Thankfully some of these amazing Pubs have been listed and will be saved for future generations to enjoy

dorcas1950 Sat 08-Feb-20 13:39:53

Jane10 ha ha! Love it.

timetogo2016 Sat 08-Feb-20 13:44:48

Any pub for me and DH.

lemongrove Sat 08-Feb-20 13:47:02

Jane10 I loved it too.....and would happily visit that pub ( many times I suspect) ?
Teetime ...eeeeh, lots of nice pubs listed there ( makes a note of them in diary.)
I remember a pub in Nottingham we used to go to a lot, The Trip To Jerusalem, known to locals as The Trip. Very atmospheric and always crowded.

Urmstongran Sat 08-Feb-20 13:51:53

The Dun Cow is a great pub Jane10!

gillybob Sat 08-Feb-20 13:56:56

So pleased you enjoyed The Olde Ship Katyj, Madmaggie and Dec46 smile

I love Seahouses it holds such special memories for DH and I . Feel a bit sad thinking about it now though x

Urmstongran Sat 08-Feb-20 14:01:28

I also love The Plockton Hotel on Harbour Street. The view from the front door is Loch Carron, Magical.

Rhubarb & ginger Edinburgh gin if you’re buying - ta!

Dec46 Sat 08-Feb-20 14:04:41

gillybob I was brought up in the North East and we used to go on coach outings to Sea Houses so happy childhood memories there for me. I revisited as an adult which is when I discovered The Olde Ship.
I would love to visit Dun Cow Jane10 sounds such fun.