Gransnet forums

Chat

Extra special Pubs in my life

(75 Posts)
Dec46 Fri 07-Feb-20 13:00:27

I've just read that the Philharmonic Pub in Liverpool has been granted Grade 1 Listing and I'm very happy about this.It played a big part in my student days as it was just round the corner from the College I attended and friends on my Course met there every Friday afternoon. When I was older I used to take any visitors from out of the area to see how amazing it is.

My other favourite is completely different for the Phil ,it is the Square and Compass,Worth Matravers ,Dorset and that has been given Grade 2 Status. It is one of a small number of Pubs in the Uk to not have a Bar.It is in a beautiful setting and so relaxing to visit with such a lovely happy feel to it.It's also a place I take visitors to visit now I live near it.

Any Pubs that are special to you ,listed or not?

rosecarmel Thu 13-Feb-20 22:34:44

Two on the eastcoast- Both had good food! And another that was attached to a bowling alley and had live music-

gillybob Thu 13-Feb-20 22:32:10

Aaah the beautiful bridges GagaJo smile

gillybob Thu 13-Feb-20 22:30:06

Reading all these stories about The Olde Ship (Seahouses) is making me feel really sad (in a happy kind of way) .

The pub always attracts some really great characters including quite a few writers who just sit there hoping to pick up a good story and my goodness there are a lot of stories to be had .

What I wouldn’t give to go back in time..... but I don’t think I could visit again. Just too sad as we ended up almost giving our caravan away we were so desperate for the money . sad

GagaJo Thu 13-Feb-20 22:02:20

The Free Trade, Newcastle. Purely for the view. (Not my photograph, but it is always a stunning view from the main window).

Loulelady Thu 13-Feb-20 21:39:06

I’m a fan of the Old White Hart in Hull, closely followed by the Black Boy.

Floradora9 Thu 13-Feb-20 21:29:53

It would not bother me if every pub in the land closed down . We never go anywhere near one .

Saxifrage Wed 12-Feb-20 23:02:45

Nortsac - I lived on Stapleton Hall road for first few years of my marriage. I think I saw my first punk band in Stapleton Hall Tavern. Since then it’s had a lot of different names.

When I worked near Charing Cross the Ship and Shovel was our haunt at lunch times. It was under the arches off Villiers Street. They served submarine rolls full of Bacon and Mushroom - delicious. The other super pub was the Salisbury in St Martins Lane. We had a regular ladies night in the back room when about 10 of us met. It has hardly changed at all.

Scribbles Wed 12-Feb-20 22:34:44

The Mason's Arms at Gargrave, N York's; the Wheatsheaf at Onneley, Cheshire and the Black Cock at Broughton in Furness - all lovely, cosy real ale pubs serving wonderful food and offering comfortable accommodation. OH and I have enjoyed many happy times at all of them.

Evie64 Wed 12-Feb-20 19:09:54

I love George's Meeting House here in Exeter. It was built in 1760 (the year of the coronation of George III) as a Presbyterian chapel. It was sold in 1987 and first became an antiques centre before being sold to JD Wetherspoon, who re-opened it as a pub in 2005, preserving many of the original features. It's so beautiful inside and out with the original stained glass windows and pulpit. Bonus is cheap beer! grin

Nortsat46 Sun 09-Feb-20 19:23:19

The Stapleton on Stapleton Hall Road in north London. It was probably a bit of a dive, but we used to go there every Monday night, when we were in our early 20’s.
A great jazz/blues band called Big Chief, played every Monday. We used to drink pints of lager, eat bags of cheese and onion crisps and dance all night to the fantastic music.
We loved it. ???

I recall my sister had friends visiting and she and her partner took them to the Stapleton one night. They came back saying they had had a dreadful evening, the audience had been really rowdy, jumping around and spitting (!) and the band had been awful, they were called the Sex Pistols ...

Norah Sun 09-Feb-20 17:49:55

Cockley Cley, lovely old Pub.

Nico97 Sun 09-Feb-20 17:36:59

The Bull in Mobberley, Cheshire. Absolutely wonderful, warm and welcoming !

HettyMaud Sun 09-Feb-20 16:44:03

The London Inn, Molland, on Exmoor. It's fabulous.

grumppa Sun 09-Feb-20 16:40:59

Not to forget Ye Olde Watling in the City.

If Prufrock had measured out his life in pubs rather than coffee spoons, he might have been a happier man.

grumppa Sun 09-Feb-20 16:19:16

And of course the White Horse, Neatishead.

grumppa Sun 09-Feb-20 16:13:00

The Bookbinders Arms, Oxford (long gone, alas!).

The Travellers' Friend (the Spivs) Woodford Green, back in the Sixties.

The Plough, Lippitts Hill, Epping Forest, where I proposed to DW (now a private house with a new Plough round the corner).

The King's Head, E4 (within civilized walking distance for the last umpteen years).

trollop8101 Sun 09-Feb-20 15:47:55

Hull has some fantastic old pubs with a lot of history. Minerva is one of my favourites

sarahellenwhitney Sun 09-Feb-20 15:11:49

Dec46
Loved the Axe and Compass in Worth Matravers where we 'called in ' while touring south west in the seventies.
While there purchased a raffle ticket for a local charity but not know if we had won anything wanting to go further on during our tour. Sitting in the sun and several' scrumpys' later our plans not as intended we decided to go into the pub for a pasty and found we had won a box of After Eights in the raffle. Happy days and although I was to move to the south west twenty years later have never wanted to revisit places that hold so many memories.

Mully Sun 09-Feb-20 12:57:32

submarium! Text thinks it knows best

Mully Sun 09-Feb-20 12:51:51

The Olde White Hart in Hull's Old Town. Scene of the plotting chamber denial of entry to the King in the Civil War. Hull is well worth a visit with its maritime heritage, amazing Old Town, Marina, submarine The Deep, museums and Hull Truck Theatre.

NotSpaghetti Sun 09-Feb-20 01:19:46

And here's an article about it:
www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/i-always-think-of-de-barra-s-as-a-pocket-of-resistance-1.3218462%3fmode=amp

NotSpaghetti Sun 09-Feb-20 01:15:09

De Barra, Clonakilty.

Alexa Sun 09-Feb-20 00:03:31

When I was a child I felt pubs were so unmentionable I was too embarrassed to even look at the ones I had to pass in the town centre, and averted my gaze . I was sure pubs were inhabited by terrible frightening drunk men.

Hetty58 Sat 08-Feb-20 23:43:31

I'm not really a pub person - unless it involves a meal. I was surprised, though, when a man friend/potential partner seemed to navigate by pubs on any trip out.

Whether going by car, train or taxi, he'd know exactly where all the pubs were (and their names) for what seemed like all of London.

It should have rung alarm bells at the time - and yes, he liked a drink or ten!

EllenT Sat 08-Feb-20 23:28:40

Another vote for the Olde Ship from a happy Northumberland retiree. Difficult to get in on summer evenings though.