Gransnet forums

Chat

"Inevitability box"

(46 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Fri 13-Mar-20 12:36:30

Both my DH and I have lost our final surviving parents in the last few years and had to deal with all the paper work, which included finding all the necessary documents. As a result we have decided to put together a box with everything in it our children will need when the day inevitably arrives. Hence the name of the box. In it we will put our wills, house deeds, birth and marriage certificates, insurance details (though that will be a disappointment as we had to cash them in a few years ago when we were broke!), bank account details, passports etc. Has anyone else done anything similar? What have you put in your box? Have we forgotten anything?

EllanVannin Fri 13-Mar-20 12:41:57

That's a good idea as I have an empty shoe-box. It would save going through myriads of papers I have in the desk and generally scattered around in drawers and a jewellery box.

Nonogran Fri 13-Mar-20 13:10:56

I have a ring binder with polypockets which my daughter knows where I keep it. I've also paid for my funeral in advance and the funeral director gave me a useful booklet to fill in with relevant or pertinent details too. It's given me peace of mind to know my daughter only has to go to the ring binder for all she'll need to know.

storynanny Fri 13-Mar-20 13:21:56

I’m going to photograph my decent jewels and name the recipients for my step daughter to distribute

merlotgran Fri 13-Mar-20 13:26:18

We've already done it by putting all necessary documents in a box folder together with a small book of passwords/codes/pin numbers etc., for various websites.

There is money in a savings account for our funerals.

whywhywhy Fri 13-Mar-20 13:29:13

I have done that already and it does give you peace of mind. It was really hard having to go through my mam’s stuff and sort out all the paperwork when she died that I decided then and there that it wouldn’t do for me. Everything is in one place where my children can get their hands on them, when the time comes.

GrannyLaine Fri 13-Mar-20 13:36:50

Its also on my 'to do' list Lizbethann55.
Don't forget passwords to online accounts and if you are on social media, make sure someone is nominated to close those accounts / use them to contact friends.

merlotgran Fri 13-Mar-20 13:44:56

As our box is situated on a bookcase in our bedroom amongst photo albums etc., I've sent DD a photo of the exact location.

It's a flowery patterned box rather than an official looking one so is not too obvious and I wouldn't want her to wade through loads of 'stuff' before finding it.

jacq10 Fri 13-Mar-20 13:54:00

I would suggest that a metal box be used rather than a shoe box. We purchased one a few years ago in Lidl's as I worried about a house fire destroying everything (I am a known worrier). I check the contents every six months or so to see if anything needs updating.

wildswan16 Fri 13-Mar-20 14:33:42

It's a helpful idea to add a list of any friends or others who you would like informed of your death. Family members might not know them all or how to contact them, and they may wish to attend a funeral etc.

Missfoodlove Fri 13-Mar-20 14:41:20

If you haven’t already done it a LPA is the most important thing you can do.

seacliff Fri 13-Mar-20 15:59:06

My dear Dad did this (thanks Dad x) . He was always very organised and meticulous. He had an old metal tin (he hoped it would be fire proof) and every time any of us children came round, he would point out where it was hidden. It was very useful.

Also he had a funeral plan, and he mentioned some music that he loved, which was a great help.

Saxifrage Fri 13-Mar-20 16:43:19

Age UK have a book that you can fill in with all the vital info which is quite a neat way to do it. You can send for it or just download and print it out.

www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/care/housing-options/home-safety/lifebook/

BradfordLass73 Sat 14-Mar-20 02:14:39

All my important pagers are in a convertina file and always have been. Regularly updated when necessary.

Coolgran65 Sat 14-Mar-20 04:10:51

Our dc know that everything is in a box under the bed. Funerals prepaid. Wills and Powers of Attorney done. Grave plot bought only 5 minutes from home. A folder for each bank account and investment.

bikergran Sat 14-Mar-20 07:39:18

I once sent off for the life book but when sent back I couldn't open the file.Not sure if its available to download yourself direct(not found it if it is _ hmm

Harris27 Sat 14-Mar-20 07:57:00

I’ve e done. A blue ring binder file and put sticky labels on each section. I’m telling myself I’m just getting more organised but really it’s the same as you.

Hetty58 Sat 14-Mar-20 08:12:37

I have a box file with one section for all things related to the house, another for my records.

I don't think my prepaid cremation plan will be much use in a pandemic situation, though. The government have emergency powers to deal with things.

It's not just hospitals that will be overwhelmed. There's little spare capacity for cremations!

Susan56 Sat 14-Mar-20 08:14:24

This is also on my to do list.My dad had done this,hadn’t told us but it was the first thing I came across in his study.He had also put a little note and poem for me in the file.
I have his metal box so time to get organised.
Thank you for the reminder Lizbethann.

Hetty58 Sat 14-Mar-20 08:14:43

'The best laid plans of mice and men':

www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-emergency-laws-police-get-powers-to-detain-victims-b65fp7fvm

marpau Sat 14-Mar-20 09:20:36

Age UK do a wonderful booklet my life book in which you can list all bank accounts service providers passwords and even who to invite to funeral as well as order of service and music you would like

Daisymae Sat 14-Mar-20 09:25:09

It's been on the back of my mind. Thanks for the nudge, will get a copy of the Age UK booklet too.

Scottiebear Sat 14-Mar-20 09:56:13

We have a little fireproof box in which we keep our will and other important documents. Had my good jewellery valued and that document is in there. Also a little notebook with a list of our bank accs and pensions. Just to make things a little simpler for our son should the need arise.

sophieschoice Sat 14-Mar-20 10:21:28

Brilliant idea no matter how old you are. Just had the unbearable task of doing it after my son passed (early 40s). He was a man who put things off till tomorrow bless him. It's been heartbreaking sorting thru his things bank,landlord,credit card,mobile, etc. And it continues, with some, void of compassion. It would help those whose ?

elleks Sat 14-Mar-20 10:24:02

Details of your GP surgery and any hospital information, if you have regular appointments? (3 years after we bought our house we got a hospital appointment for the previous owner's deceased father)