Gransnet forums

Chat

Practical Advice Please

(15 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 17-Mar-20 09:16:28

Can’t change bed linen , changing double duvet cover with only use of finger and thumb on each hand impossible. Same with fitted sheets.

Can’t wash my hair, yes dry shampoo but my scalp ?

shysal Tue 17-Mar-20 09:28:08

Try the rolling trick for changing duvet cover. It works well for me as I have restricted movement in hands and shoulders.
I hope you find solutions to your problems, Annie.
rolling duvet trick

Callistemon Tue 17-Mar-20 09:47:38

Have you got any flat sheets, Annie, or can you order some? You can use a flat sheet under the duvet then you don't need to change the duvet cover itself so often, you use it just like an old fashioned eiderdown.

Don't trip over any trailing bits though.

I did know someone who never washed her hair, after the initial greasy, itchy scalp phase she said it was fine. You'd never realise, it didn't smell either!

JuliaM Tue 17-Mar-20 09:52:26

Anniebach, do you have a shower that you can stand under to wash your hair? have shampoo ready on a small sponge, a kitchen type sponge works well, Wet it, use sponge to lather up, then rinse under the shower again.

The sponge can be preloaded with neat shampoo before you even step into the shower, and is much easier than trying to hold onto a fairly awkward shampoo bottle and apply to your hair at the same time. Use a plastic bag, the type with handles to keep it in at the ready, and hang this to your shower caddy or soapdish.

Anniebach Tue 17-Mar-20 10:16:48

Suppose a single duvet would keep slipping off the bed ?

EllanVannin Tue 17-Mar-20 10:27:29

You could do with some double-sided Velcro Annie, to help leave bedclothes attached and it's also easy to detach when you have limited movement. It should be available via ebay or a medical supply outlet online.

Alexa Tue 17-Mar-20 11:26:03

I use nothing but a very light weight single duvet for ease of changing the cover.

If I could not change the cover at all I'd use my lightweight duvet with no cover. These small thin duvets are easy to wash, and dry quickly in the airing . Instead of having a thick duvet you could have two thin ones.

Anniebach Tue 17-Mar-20 12:01:57

Alexa. You have a single duvet on a double bed ?

CherryCezzy Tue 17-Mar-20 14:10:02

Anniebach I empathise with the hand issues, I have limited use of my R hand ( severe burn injuries) and unresponsive tendonitis in Left hand. Washing your hair with a sponge is good advice, it works for me. My aunt (sadly no longer with us) managed to get hold of a couple of duvet covers with a fully open end which had Velcro fasteners, she used a 'roll technique' to put one one the ducet. She managed to get them online from a disability aid supplier but I don't know the name of the supplier.

Anniebach Tue 17-Mar-20 17:00:59

Thank you all x

Alexa Tue 17-Mar-20 17:48:46

Anniebach, when I had a double bed, yes I had a single duvet. My German Shepherd slept on half of the bed and did not need a duvet.

SueDonim Tue 17-Mar-20 17:52:55

What about something like this, Annie? Never change a duvet again! www.marksandspencer.com/coverless-floral-10-5-tog-duvet-and-pillowcase/p/hbp60262844?color=MULTI

Tweedle24 Tue 17-Mar-20 18:01:37

Anniebach My husband and I had two single duvets in the summer so we could have the tog rating each of us preferred,
We got the idea from hotels we stayed in on the continent.

Anniebach Wed 18-Mar-20 08:32:47

Thank you all

I will try several suggestions, the thought of not washing bed
linen kept me awake, thoughts of sleeping bags, buying a camp
bed can be crossed off my list !

wildswan16 Wed 18-Mar-20 14:43:20

I saw this in the daily mail today. Are zips easier for you annie? Maybe something to think about next time you are buying new covers.

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8123267/Duvet-cover-makes-changing-sheets-easier-before.html