Gransnet forums

Chat

Urgent - Scam re Whatsapp

(43 Posts)
tessagee Thu 19-Mar-20 09:00:15

I was passed this information by an IT person who advised that a video comes out today purporting to come from Whatsapp called Martinelli. DO NOT OPEN IT as it hacks your phone and nothing will fix it.

Also if you get a message to update the Whatsapp to Whatsapp Gold DO NOT CLICK.

As a long time lurker on GN this is my first thread and I wish it weren't for such a miserable subject but as many of us have family using Whatsapp I felt it was important to put the news out there. Please do pass this info to them and anyone else that you know who uses Whatsapp.

Kind regards to all.

blueflinders Thu 19-Mar-20 19:03:40

Also, this was tessagee’s first post. I hope she doesn’t make it her last!

Ginny42 Thu 19-Mar-20 19:17:56

Tessagee thank you for trying to warn about a possible virus. Sadly the covid-19 isn't the only virus to fear. My DD had her mobile compromised yesterday and had to have her phone wiped clean. She lost photos and many important notes. It's most unpleasant when it happens for real, so glad this was a hoax.

blondenana Thu 19-Mar-20 19:38:49

My daughter keeps getting messages supposedly from her brother, but they are definitely not,he doesn;t even have her no
The messages really just say he has been trying to ring her, but he hasn't

JonesKpj000 Thu 19-Mar-20 19:44:08

Be kind please. We aren’t all IT savvy and the poster was trying to help. If you can’t say anything nice then say nothing at all.

endlessstrife Thu 19-Mar-20 20:34:19

Just for info, I spoke to my daughter tonight who is a software engineer and has never heard of “ hoaxslayer “ and “ snopes”. I don’t feel so inadequate now!

MerylStreep Thu 19-Mar-20 20:51:24

endlessstrife
I'm surprised that your daughter is un-aware of snopes. It's been going for a long time. Over 30 years.

Coolgran65 Thu 19-Mar-20 21:21:39

Yes. Be nice.
I fully agree with blueflinders

Silverlady333 Thu 19-Mar-20 22:19:43

Check this out! www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/whatsapp-martinelli-virus-2018-video-message-explained-what-to-do-a8711926.html

Silverlady333 Thu 19-Mar-20 22:23:37

This is from Snopes April 2018 www.snopes.com/fact-check/whatsapp-martinelli-phone-virus-warning/

endlessstrife Fri 20-Mar-20 10:47:51

This is all very interesting, and a distraction at the moment. The snopes video is saying the Martinelli thing is a hoax, so the OP was right. Everyone I’ve talked to, some in IT, have never heard of these hoax hackers. What scams were around 30 years ago? Certainly not internet ones. I shall do some research, and enjoy thinking about something else for a change?. Stay well everyone ?

Elegran Fri 20-Mar-20 11:28:33

Anything that sounds either alarming or too good to be true, I check through the Snopes and Hoaxslayer sites. I have done for years, and I assure everyone that they are NOT hoaxes themselves. They have very sensible articles and advice.
www.snopes.com/ has a search box where you can enter a bit about anything suspicious and see what their research has come up with. Here is the coronavirus page - www.snopes.com/?s=coronavirus

www.hoax-slayer.net/ is also genuine.
quackwatch.org/ Quackwatch investigates health scams and bogus treatments. Some of the stories will make your hair curl!

tessagee Fri 20-Mar-20 17:11:24

I did not know that this was a hoax and if it has caused worry I can only apologise. As I said above, this was my first thread, it'll also be my last.

Alexa Fri 20-Mar-20 17:20:51

Don't worry Tessagee. I thank you for your caring. And better safe than sorry.

Elegran Fri 20-Mar-20 17:24:31

Don't make it your last thread, tessagee. It would be a shame to do that just because you saw something you thought you should tell everyone about. Start one tomorrow on something entirely different.

grannyscott Sat 21-Mar-20 14:06:17

This is a HOAX

Greeneyedgirl Sat 21-Mar-20 14:38:03

A friend also passed this on to me. It's an old hoax - a chain letter I think. The clue for me was in the warning that it was -about to happen. You don't get advance warnings of viruses usually.
I check out everything before forwarding.

sevenkidsnotv Sat 21-Mar-20 14:45:17

This is fake news,
a hoax,
not true.