Gransnet forums

Chat

Chaos when its all over?

(135 Posts)
ExD Tue 31-Mar-20 09:53:06

Its becoming hard to imagine, but one day all this will be over. And then, I for one and I imagine thousands of others, will want to visit distant family we've not seen for months.
Imagine the chaos on the roads when we all hit the motorways and travel up, down and sideways across the country - at the same time.
If I'm spared I'm determined to resist the temptation to do this, and I hope my family will understand.

Hetty58 Fri 03-Apr-20 03:16:16

It's not necessary to eat meat or 'meat substitute kinds of veggies' (whatever they are) either. I'm still alive and fighting fit yet haven't eaten it for over fifty years!

BradfordLass73 Fri 03-Apr-20 04:09:08

I remember reading in The Financial Times: "The rise of supercentres such as Westfield ushers in a dismal climate for High Street retailers in the UK and elsewhere."

Westfield, which owns shopping malls across the world has a stranglehold monoply but must now be looking at their own balance sheets with the same fear as those small shopkeepers faced whom it put out of business.

dorcas1950 Fri 03-Apr-20 09:41:04

MOnica: the voice of reason.

notanan2 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:00:46

It's not necessary to eat meat or 'meat substitute kinds of veggies' (whatever they are) either. I'm still alive and fighting fit yet haven't eaten it for over fifty years!

You eat no protein?
The UK does not grow a lot of high protein plants.
You need to HEAVILY process and concentrate peas for example to get much protein out of them

M0nica Fri 03-Apr-20 16:19:30

Hunger is not the alternative to industrial farming. Read this: www.iddri.org/en/publications-and-events/study/agroecological-europe-2050-multifunctional-agriculture-healthy-eating

Hetty58 Fri 03-Apr-20 17:03:48

notanan2, I eat plenty of protein, it's B12 and zinc that I have to watch as thhey can be problematic. I've had four healthy kids and a very strong, fit life on this diet, too.

On a typical day I'll scoff a lot of oats, chickpeas, broccoli, nooch (nutritional yeast), some sweetcorn and peas, perhaps some lentils. They all have protein. I combine pulses with grains (beans on toast, rice and peas etc.) to make complete forms. It's not a problem.

notanan2 Fri 03-Apr-20 17:16:53

Most pulses etc bought in the UK are imported.

Davidhs Fri 03-Apr-20 21:39:33

“An agro-ecological project based on abandoning pesticides and synthetic fertilisers and redeploying extensive grasslands and landscape “

A quote from the first paragraph

Anyone who believes this is away with the Fairies, really, they are saying reducing food production would give us all a healthier diet and because we are all eating less, there would be more room for biodiversity.

M0nica Sat 04-Apr-20 11:00:38

David read further.