Gransnet forums

Chat

Footballers to ask the taxpayer to pay 80% of their wages

(55 Posts)
Dottynan Thu 02-Apr-20 07:38:16

Opinions please

Chewbacca Thu 02-Apr-20 09:16:52

I live less than 2 miles from Millionaires Row in Cheshire, where all of the houses cost in excess of £2,000,000 and 95% of those are owned by a world famous football club's players. All of them are huge with indoor swimming pools, leisure suites and state of the art security systems. They have wealth that the majority of us could never imagine. If just 1% of that wealth was given to support their club's ancillary staff, the taxpayer's money wouldn't be needed. It's a different world out there.

Sar53 Thu 02-Apr-20 09:22:53

Most of the Premier league clubs are continuing to pay 100% of the wages of all their backroom staff.
It's only a few who are not or who haven't disclosed what they will be doing.
Tottenham should be ashamed of their stance.

kittylester Thu 02-Apr-20 09:27:39

This could all come to a head if the season isnt finished by the deadline in the football league's contracts with Sky, BT etc. Mid July, I think.

grandMattie Thu 02-Apr-20 09:31:19

poor darlings.. They can't manage on last week's pay? such a shame!!!

Callistemon Thu 02-Apr-20 09:43:40

TwiceAsNice has it spot on

Of course, some players for lower league clubs don't get paid these obscene salaries.
But the multi millionaire players and managers could out their hands in their pockets and help them out too.

Toadinthehole Thu 02-Apr-20 09:58:28

This incensed me too when I heard it on the news last night. Perhaps this crisis will topple the super rich off their perches, and pay the people who really deserve it, properly, so as already mentioned, nurses, police, paramedics, teachers, in fact, anyone who does a responsible and life saving job. I do understand football for example, gives many people pleasure, but £70,000 a week!?! NO, and definitely not now. They should have enough to live on. It wouldn’t be so bad if some of them actually scored a goal now and again!

trisher Thu 02-Apr-20 10:06:48

They should put all footballers on a basic wage and continue to pay the other staff them selves. It is unacceptable that they should ask for government help. They won't be doing the job they are paid for anyway and others in the entertainment industry are losing all their earnings because gigs are cancelled.

Sussexborn Thu 02-Apr-20 10:29:48

The Wolves players are very active in our community. I don’t have much interest but GSs attend various events and have met quite a few players. I am aware that they tend to yo-yo up and down quite a bit. The jubilation in the town (city) was palpable.

TerriBull Thu 02-Apr-20 10:34:12

Surely they've put some by for a rainy day, massively over paid anyway. Bobby Moore et al didn't get that much when they delivered England's brief moment of glory shock but what others have said they can off with that one!

Purplepixie Thu 02-Apr-20 10:35:31

Is this an April Fools joke???

Pikachu Thu 02-Apr-20 11:07:43

I’m happy for them to get the £2,500 a month maximum like many others. But I also think that they, and other fit unemployed, ought to be volunteering to pick fruit and vegetables which will otherwise rot in the ground, on trees or canes.

gillybob Thu 02-Apr-20 11:51:10

I was just saying to DH that I would love to help pick fruit if there was a farm anywhere near here, there isn’t .

His response was “don’t you think you’ve got enough to do?” hmm would much rather pick fruit than grovel to HMRC and queue outside Asda .

Can’t see these golden boys doing it though. grin

paddyanne Thu 02-Apr-20 12:20:35

I just heard that a young friend has been paid off,not furloughed as they call it now.He has been told they will be re empolying people when this is over.However that makes him ineligable for any money from the chancellors "package" .Can we have a shout out for the inhumane treatment of their staff by ROLLS ROYCE ...Having worked with this company on a regular basis over the years my impression was that they treated people well ,or was that just image projection.They have certainly chucked a lot of young families under a bus this week !

SirChenjin Thu 02-Apr-20 12:34:01

That’s shocking paddyanne - why wasn’t he furloughed, I wonder? Was he a direct employee or a contractor/subcontractor?

Smileless2012 Thu 02-Apr-20 12:35:42

Can we give the footballers a response of just 2 words?

timetogo2016 Thu 02-Apr-20 12:37:24

22 bags of wind kicking a bag of wind around.
And spot on Hettie58.

GagaJo Thu 02-Apr-20 12:38:03

Smileless2012, best response ever.

timetogo2016 Thu 02-Apr-20 12:40:39

Yes Smileless2012 and it`s F OFF.

quizqueen Thu 02-Apr-20 12:44:57

Maybe each footballer could 'adopt' a back room worker at their club and pay their wages in full to relieve the strain on the taxpayer if they are getting their wags paid in full.

SirChenjin Thu 02-Apr-20 12:50:26

Excellent idea quiz

M0nica Thu 02-Apr-20 20:05:59

If this shameful behaviour by Premier Leaugue footballers, club owners and agents wipes the veil from the average football fans eyes so that they see what overpaid overprivileged people these young men are. It will be no bad thing.

Callistemon Thu 02-Apr-20 22:59:41

gillybob can you imagine?

'These carrots were picked and packed with love especially for you by [insert name of a top player] who soiled his hands on your behalf"

EllanVannin Thu 02-Apr-20 23:20:23

Yes, and I know where I'd shove the carrots as well Callistemon

Callistemon Fri 03-Apr-20 11:38:25

grin

gillybob Fri 03-Apr-20 12:58:10

Brilliant Calli my DGS would be well impressed grin