Gransnet forums

Chat

Footballers to ask the taxpayer to pay 80% of their wages

(55 Posts)
Dottynan Thu 02-Apr-20 07:38:16

Opinions please

Callistemon Fri 03-Apr-20 22:54:09

But EllanVannin has shoved them all where the sun don't shine!

blush oops, is that rude?

Callistemon Fri 03-Apr-20 22:54:33

Don't tell your DGS!!!

Jabberwok Wed 08-Apr-20 10:32:09

Well, I think this is one issue that we can all agree! As if they aren't grossly over paid in normal times, but to expect the government to pick up the bill for laid off staff, while collecting vast sums for doing nothing is a complete disgrace. People are putting their lives on the line for peanuts by comparison! These prima Donnas and their handlers should be absolutely ashamed of themselves!

CherryCezzy Wed 08-Apr-20 11:44:19

Yes footballers are overpaid and yes many are prima donnas but it not the footballers who are deciding to take money from the government (taxpayers) it is the clubs. It is the owners, the chairmen and the shareholders doing this. It is disgraceful. Not all the so called big clubs are doing it and I was glad to see that Liverpool, who were going to do it, backed down. Frankly they shouldn't have even considered it in the first place. The club I support came out with a statement virtually immediately that they are not going to do it and they haven't. The European footballing body "imposed" a 30% cut in wages for all players in the top tier of every European club (including the premier league). Not nearly enough but something. The players playing for the club I support have decided to reduce their own wages by 80% and are donating it to various charities and the frontline.
quizqueen your suggestion -Thursday 2nd April 12:44:57 has been taken up by some clubs.
I am by no means defending actions taken by clubs but it's not the players (by and large) making the decisions. There have been some players who have moaned and a few who resent the cut in their pay. Those players are a disgrace, they shame themselves, they shame their clubs, they shame their fans and they insult us all.