Gransnet forums

Chat

Wonderful Nightingale hospitals but why no Seacole?

(60 Posts)
peaches50 Sat 04-Apr-20 17:54:30

Rightly so our fantastic NHS putting their lives at risk for us battling Corona virus, are becoming more valued every hour that passes as the threat reaches its peak. Mary Seacole was the daughter of a Scottish father officer in the British Army, and Jamaican mother. Nursing soldiers at the front line while battle raged in the Crimean War, in her time she was the equal to Florence Nightingale. With 1 in 5 of the NHS workers (1.2m) of BAME origin. they should be recognised. If you feel strongly as me sign my petition and send it to your MP and as many as you can. chng.it/T4BSLDZz. And God Bless every key worker.

Nightsky2 Sat 04-Apr-20 19:47:18

No Thank you, Nightingale will do nicely.

My house was called Nightingale when it was first built and some silly person went and changed it.

Chewbacca Sat 04-Apr-20 19:47:59

Why aren't our posts allowed to swear? Over on Mumsnet, they swear like sailors, constantly. But here, one single swear word is instantly deleted. Why? Are we all expected to be little old ladies, smelling of lavender and wearing crochet shawls? hmm

Ilovecheese Sat 04-Apr-20 19:50:27

I agree Chewbacca A bit of swearing doesn't bother me, it can be very expressive.

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 19:54:02

Someone must have reported me!

We are supposed to be laydees on Gransnet.
That is very amusing as my DD never swear and express great shock if I do (rarely).
Mum!!! shock

paddyanne Sat 04-Apr-20 19:59:19

The Louisa Jordan at the SECC is named after a nurse who grew up a couple of miles away from the exhibition centre.Louisa ,who I hadn't heard of is apparently honoured yearly in Serbia for her work during WW1 .
The name of this which I'm fairly sure will be called the SECC by folk in the area has been slated by our unionist friends online as they believe all temporary hospitals should be Nightingale .I cant get worked up about it either way ,I hope with all my heart its never needed .However I cant for the life of me see why local hospitals shouldn't be named after local heroes .

Kandinsky Sat 04-Apr-20 20:02:04

I bet only about 15% of the entire UK have heard of Mary Seacole.

GagaJo Sat 04-Apr-20 20:03:24

Yes! I agree. It would be the work of 10 minutes to give each one a different name.

How about the names of the four doctors who died treating CV? All immigrants.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 04-Apr-20 20:07:05

Monica ditto your post

MawB Sat 04-Apr-20 20:08:46

Surely it was just a FFS ?
GNHQ are going to have to have their pearls restrung after all this clutching grin

Jane10 Sat 04-Apr-20 20:08:55

I'd rather it honoured Dr Elsie Inglis who, after being turned away by the medical establishment, set to and raised the funding for a whole mobile hospital and recruited for and ran the whole thing. Her mobile hospital operated in appalling conditions in winter and is honoured in Serbia to this day. She survived to the end of the war but was very ill on her return and died soon after.
This new hospital in Glasgow might as well be called the Glasgow Nightingale instead of a local nurse who only served for a short time. Not a competition of course but hard to understand the exclusion of a Scottish medic who did so much more.

paddyanne Sat 04-Apr-20 20:11:46

Isn't there already an Elsie Inglis in Edinburgh ? Maybe its just a nice thing to do for Louisa's descendants ,as she seems to have been forgotten here for a long time

MawB Sat 04-Apr-20 20:16:51

Let’s have a whole thread on who we should name temporary hospitals after?

After all, it’s not as if the government have anything else to do at the moment?
By on the other hand, housebound Grans with time on their hands might find it an entertaining alternative to inveighing against the younger generation, against neighbours who insist on going out or people who insist on going to shops despite being over 70.

52bright Sat 04-Apr-20 20:25:05

I am happy with Nightingale. There is a time and a place for being active politically, racially, gender wise, class wise ext ext ...but this is not it. x

FarNorth Sat 04-Apr-20 20:50:42

Why shouldn't grans who are shut away in their houses have a thread about this, MawB?
We are not all bothering our MPs with it.

MawB Sat 04-Apr-20 20:53:19

My suggestion entirely FarNorth - for those who wish to get steamed up about the relative merits ????

(However trivial - but let’s not bother MPs with petitions)

GrannyLaine Sat 04-Apr-20 21:09:30

I understood that 'Nightingale' was a generic name given to all the planned 'field' hospitals? Straightforward and recognised by most. NOT the time, I think, to be twittering about honouring all and sundry.

Eglantine21 Sat 04-Apr-20 21:48:58

The Nightingale Nurse Award was launched by Guys in 2017 for outstanding practice.

Could that have anything to do with it?

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 21:58:40

I can't get worked up about it either way well, me neither really, paddyanne but I did get cross about an irrelevant bit of campaigning when we are in the middle of a national, indeed a world, crisis.

Jomarie Sat 04-Apr-20 22:05:35

Choosing an historic name " a blast from the past" would appeal to some whereas an outer space/planet name ie. venus,mars, jupiter, saturn etc. etc. might have been more optimistic?? Just a thought [smile} And not so fraught with significance ? Or am I being over simplistic?

Jomarie Sat 04-Apr-20 22:06:31

smile

merlotgran Sat 04-Apr-20 22:12:53

I understood that 'Nightingale' was a generic name given to all the planned 'field' hospitals?

Remember M*A*S*H and Hot Lips Houlihan?

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 22:21:38

Hot Lips Hospital doesn't quite have the same ring though

Chewbacca Sat 04-Apr-20 22:36:29

Oh I don't know Callistemon, it has a certain ring to it.

Namsnanny Sat 04-Apr-20 23:49:03

grinChewbacca

BradfordLass73 Sun 05-Apr-20 05:39:55

Yes, yes YES! peaches50
That's exactly what I thought when I heard about the new hospitals.

Wouldn't it be great if they were called The Nightingale-Secole Hospitals?

I've read and written about the history of both women and Nightingale had many advantages and many prominent male contacts and supporters, but STILL had to fight to get supplies for the wounded and respect for her nurses.

Mary had no contacts, came up against racism, as she still does today an yet was as determined to help as Nightingale.

She spent all her own money to buy medical and other supplies for the troops she was nursing and when they heard, after the war, that she was destitute as a result, they took up a collection for her.

It is sad (not to mention disgusting) that she has been attacked even in death by what some sources call 'The Nightingale Faction'.

There is no good reason why both women should not be equally honoured. This is no place for bigotry and racism.