Gransnet forums

Chat

How old were you when you took your driving test? And what does being able to drive mean to you?

(68 Posts)
BlueRuby Mon 18-May-20 13:55:50

Driving! What does being able to drive mean to you now? When did you pass your test? I was 19 when passed my driving test in the 1970s. The first attempt was a disaster. Everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong! I was paralysed by anxiety, and driving my boyfriend's car. My three point turn was a thirty point turn, my left turn ran across the pavement, my right turn cut across the other lane and I barely missed a pedestrian, and when we got back to the test centre, I nearly ran the tester over by reversing as he was passing behind the car. That might have been revenge!! Six weeks later, when I took the second test, I was in my own car (a blue 1966 Hillman Minx costing £65), and it was perfection, and I passed with flying colours. I've always felt that driving a ton of lethal weapon was a priviledge, and I am a confident driver. I've driven extensively, all over the country, all sorts of vehicles, and driven abroad, too. Driving always made me feel independent. As I get older, and realise that my ability to drive may deteriorate, it feels even more of a priviledge and necessity, and something I will miss terribly. What does driving mean to you?

Doodledog Mon 18-May-20 16:03:18

I took tests at 17, 22, 32 (and pregnant), and about 50, and failed them all.

I would love to be able to drive, particularly now that public transport is so risky (and, presumably difficult to access). I have owned two cars over the years, and had lessons in them, but to no avail. One was automatic, but whilst it was a lot easier, I still didn't pass a test. It is one of my very few regrets that I didn't just keep re-taking tests until I eventually passed one.

Marmight Mon 18-May-20 16:19:32

I was 17. Passed first time! I’m amazed (with hindsight) that my Dad let me take his car out for a spin, on my own, on the same day shock. I love driving and would be totally lost without wheels. I was fortunate to inherit my Grandfathers old Austin A30, then my Mum’s Austin 1100 when she upgraded. The first car I bought was a Triumph Spitfire which I sadly had to relinquish when DD1 arrived : couldn't get the carrycot on the back shelf. No such thing as seat belts then ... The same DD passed her test at just 17. She. couldn't wait to drive either.

gillybob Mon 18-May-20 16:29:40

I was 29 and the first person in my entire family to drive. Once I got my little banger Fiesta (later stolen) I was very popular.

gillybob Mon 18-May-20 16:30:48

Does anyone watch that program about the driving test where Alan Carr does the commentary ? Its really quite funny.

Gymstagran Mon 18-May-20 16:42:30

I was 21 and passed first time. I have found it a useful skill to have over the years but I have never enjoyed it. I was happy using buses, trains, metro and taxis. Frequently using an app to get to new places. However, now having a car would make life easier. It will be something to consider when life returns.

NannyJan53 Mon 18-May-20 16:43:46

Passed my test first time, aged 20 18th December 1973. I even remember the cost of each lesson was £1.98. I used to give the instructor £2.00 and he gave me 2p change. smile

Petrol then was 38p a gallon! The first time I drove on my own after the test was to my friends house in Tipton (we lived in Wolverhampton) I remember I kept looking at the empty passenger seat and it felt very odd.

My first car was a little mini van and it cost me £60.

As most have said, driving meant independence, and I used to love it. Not so keen now as the traffic is so heavy and lots of impatient drivers on the road. So now I tend to use bus and train if I can, but now that is off the agenda for a while, so back to the car!

Babs758 Mon 18-May-20 17:13:08

Passed first time at 17 years of age and have loved driving ever since. Cars went from old unreliable mini mayfair convertible, renault 5 which I sold privately to a BMW driver! yaris (1 litre engine so no oomph) and a Mazda MX5 2L which I have now had for 14 years… love it to bits.. I always slightly resent having hubby in the car as I note the difference in the weight/balance ratio ;-)

TwiceAsNice Mon 18-May-20 17:15:21

Passed at 24 after several attempts due to nerves. Had a gap and tried with another instructor and passed first time with him. I’m a pretty confident driver but have a terrible sense of direction so familiar driving is fine, even long distance but I do get a bit anxious driving completely new routes and use google maps on my phone. Love the freedom it gives me.

Just drove again at the end of last week after car being parked for 8 weeks and it started first time bless it!

threexnanny Mon 18-May-20 17:22:31

Passed my test second time aged 21. Never a very keen driver I learnt because it gave me independence and it still does which I value very highly.
DH recently suggested that we only need one car now but I refused as he wants an automatic and I don't.
I hope I am able to drive for many years to come even if I don't go far.

BlueBelle Mon 18-May-20 17:29:18

I ve never driven never owned a car and never took a test I seem to have managed life ok
Mum and dad never had a car nor any of my grandparents although one granddad could drive
Am I the lonely only ?

vampirequeen Mon 18-May-20 17:40:41

I was 45. Took 7 attempts to pass my test. Not because I couldn't drive but because I couldn't control my test nerves. I finally passed by speaking constantly to the examiner. Telling him all my thought processes to explain why I was doing something like not travelling at 30mph because the pot holes in the road made it too dangerous. I don't know if the thought processes helped him understand me or simply calmed my nerves although he did say at the end that I should have failed for not doing 30mph down another road but my reasoning that a) each side street of this road was a play street with a much slower speed limit and children might be more likely to run out simply because this was the only faster street and b) I wasn't causing an obstruction or holding up traffic because there was nothing behind me. He said technically it was a fail but it made so much sense that he wasn't going to hold it against me.

Letting me learn to drive was my ex's big mistake. He saw me as a on demand taxi mainly to and from the pub but actually it became my means of escape. I could disappear in my car for hours on end. Every Sunday I left the house before 7am, stopped at the local Tesco local to buy a newspaper and snacks then drive to the coast for the day. I'd walk, sit and read my paper and generally chill. It also meant that I could start to plan my escape as I no longer needed to live close to work. My car became my safe place and I loved her.

MerylStreep Mon 18-May-20 17:44:01

Early 30s. My first test was a complete disaster. It shouldn't have been as I knew I was a good driver but I just went to pieces.
At the time I had read about snooker players taking beta blockers to calm their nerves.
I went to my doctor, explained my test ? and asked him for beta blockers. He put me on them for a week to see how I felt.
On the day of my test I felt like any other day. Passed.

kittylester Mon 18-May-20 17:46:10

I passed my test aged 23, pregnant with ds2 and living in a village with little in the way of a bus service.

My first car was a Citroen Diane which had to be started in 2nd gear.

We then moved and only needed one car so we sold mine and I drove dh's Volvo. That spoiled me and I now hate small cars.

I love driving, am good at it and am confident driving anywhere. It is my freedom and I go for a drive to clear my head - or at least I did.

MiniMoon Mon 18-May-20 17:54:13

I was 23. We had no family car until then. I was determined to learn after my Dad purchased the car.
I learnt to drive in a mini. My instructor said that if you can drive a mini, you can drive anything.
I have always enjoyed driving, DD says I'm a better driver than DH.
I am now rather nervous about driving at night. I have cataracts developing, and headlights coming towards me are dazzling more than they used to.

Saxifrage Mon 18-May-20 18:02:23

I passed my test first time aged 17 and in school uniform. My father was a car enthusiast and so had a series of exotic old cars which I drove while I was still living at home including a Lagonda and an Alvis. So I like big cars and we have had a succession of big cars. DH never that keen on driving, I always loved it so gradually did more and more. I would hate to have to stop driving, I hope I am a good safe driver.

annodomini Mon 18-May-20 18:45:24

60 years ago and I was 19. I took three attempts though with hindsight I really should not have taken the first two. This was in St Andrews (one set of traffic lights, one roundabout!) and in the summer holidays my dad took me in hand and I had to drive his much bigger car, with no power steering, covering different environments. When I got back to StA, I passed with ease - the same examiner! Then, my two younger sisters passed first time and I have never been allowed to forget that.

Luckygirl Mon 18-May-20 18:56:19

I did not learn till I was nearly 30 and had lessons with two DDs strapped in car seats in the back. There simply had been no opportunity to learn before then as we had no car!

I had an hour off from work to take my test, and when I got back to the office I had a call from my late OH to say "Don't worry love, no-one passes first time." I took a deep breath and told him that I HAD passed. In the ensuing conversation it became clear that he had failed first time, although previously I remember him telling me he had passed....hmmm!

Driving is essential to me as I live in a rural area.

LadyGracie Mon 18-May-20 18:59:55

I passed first time in Malaysia at 17, I stupidly didn’t get an international driving licence so had to take it again in Northallerton at 22.

I’ve always loved driving. I’m a terrible passenger.

Ealdemodor Mon 18-May-20 19:08:49

I could never hack driving.
I have no sense of direction, could never steer straight, and cannot judge distance! Apart from that.........
Anyway, I use the buses, not always that good, but I’m used to it. Being a non driver has held me back in life, I know, and I could never live anywhere too far from a bus stop.
My husband is a lorry driver, and it would be nice if I could drive when we go out, to give him a break. Still, nobody’s perfect.

Mrst1405 Mon 18-May-20 19:13:48

I passed my car test 2nd time at 17 and off I went. It was freedom and I still love driving apart from the M25 in our left hand drive car. I passed my bike test when I was 32 and well pregnant. A lot of my friends 'let' their partners dive then loose their confidence.

rafichagran Mon 18-May-20 19:35:49

I was 24 and heavily pregnant when I passed.
I need it to get to work, and to collect my Grandson from school one night a week, pre covid.

SueDonim Mon 18-May-20 19:52:26

I passed first time when I was twenty two. I hadn’t expected to pass because I got off to a bad start. Leaving the test centre, some traffic lights changed to amber and I dithered about what to do until slamming on the brakes and coming to a sudden halt. blush

I was astounded when I was given the pass certificate - my instructor asked me what in earth I’d been thinking at the traffic lights and then told me that I’d only passed because the test route began at the far side of the lights! I guess I must have thought that things couldn’t get any worse unless I actually hit something and just relaxed for the rest of the route.

I love driving and can’t imagine how my life would be without it. We now live over three miles from the nearest bus stop so I’d be marooned if I didn’t drive.

rosecarmel Mon 18-May-20 20:17:39

I lived close to tons of public transportation so didn't drive until I was about 30-

FlexibleFriend Mon 18-May-20 20:35:05

I passed first time age 33 just 3 weeks after second son was born. Had 2 two hour driving lessons for a couple of months while pregnant and took my test 3 weeks after giving birth despite everyone saying baby brain would kick in it never did. I loved driving and took the kids on days out just about anywhere. I also taught both sons to drive as I believe it's an essential life skill. Driving has always meant freedom pure and simple. Shame I can no longer drive as I've lost the use of my legs and right arm luckily my sons have become my chauffeurs.

JuliaM Mon 18-May-20 21:19:36

I took my first.driving test in 1974 aged 17, it was the Driving School car and it broke down on my test, so null and void. My parents refused to fund any more lessons and I was just a student at the time, so gave up for a while until I could afford a few more lessons, then passed it first time in my husbands car, aged 21 and heavily Pregnant! The examiner looked more nervous than I did!
I bought my first new car when I was 24, a basic Mini Metro, and drove all over the Uk in it, sometimes with a small camping trailer on the back. Started working full time as a Nurse in 1984, so treated myself to a larger more powerful car, and borrowed my Mum's Caravan regularly, towing many miles and visiting some quite remote places. This was to be the start of a lifetime of Caravan ownership, and along with my Second Husband, we have owned a total of 9 caravans over 34years, and still own one today, although he does all the towing these days, and we dont go away half as much as we used to do when we used to go on the Club Rallies.
I was always the more confident driver of the two of us, always eager to explore a mountain pass, or drive and navigate an unfamiliar road, where as he would panick, pull over, and hand the car over to me! I used to love to do off road Rally driving in a 4x4 too, and got my 'Mudpluggers' badge for towing Caravans off really Muddy slippery Rally fields after a very wet weekend!