Gransnet forums

Chat

How old were you when you took your driving test? And what does being able to drive mean to you?

(68 Posts)
BlueRuby Mon 18-May-20 13:55:50

Driving! What does being able to drive mean to you now? When did you pass your test? I was 19 when passed my driving test in the 1970s. The first attempt was a disaster. Everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong! I was paralysed by anxiety, and driving my boyfriend's car. My three point turn was a thirty point turn, my left turn ran across the pavement, my right turn cut across the other lane and I barely missed a pedestrian, and when we got back to the test centre, I nearly ran the tester over by reversing as he was passing behind the car. That might have been revenge!! Six weeks later, when I took the second test, I was in my own car (a blue 1966 Hillman Minx costing £65), and it was perfection, and I passed with flying colours. I've always felt that driving a ton of lethal weapon was a priviledge, and I am a confident driver. I've driven extensively, all over the country, all sorts of vehicles, and driven abroad, too. Driving always made me feel independent. As I get older, and realise that my ability to drive may deteriorate, it feels even more of a priviledge and necessity, and something I will miss terribly. What does driving mean to you?

Fennel Mon 14-Sep-20 11:40:38

Blinko - mine's a similar story re pregnancy. The tester told me he once had a woman on test who went into labour during the test - never again!
He did let me pass though.
I'm 84 now and had to stop driving last year after a near miss accident. Husband still drives.

Hamp75 Mon 14-Sep-20 10:40:48

I have been driving for 50 years this year. Without doubt it is the best thing I ever did, giving me a freedom I would never have otherwise had. There is nothing I love more than driving by myself along country roads. My daughters all think I am a better driver than their dad although he insists on driving whenever we go out unless he has had a drink.

henetha Wed 05-Aug-20 10:15:06

After cycling everywhere for 37 years I finally took driving lessons in 1974 and immediately loved it. I was massively upset when I failed my first test, but passed easily on my second and have been in love with driving ever since.
In another life I would like to be a rally driver.

lizzypopbottle Wed 05-Aug-20 10:09:14

I was 23 and just married. We were living in St Helens, knew no-one and I wanted something to do after work. I passed second time (all the best people do ?) and we bought a little moggie minor from a work colleague of my husband. Only then did he learn to drive. He was determined never to admit there was anything he couldn't already do, so he wouldn't lose face by taking lessons from a driving school instructor!

It was great having the car because, until then, we'd had to rely on lifts to get to and from work in Liverpool. If I couldn't drive, I'd have to move house. I live ten miles from the nearest sizeable town.

rafichagran Sat 01-Aug-20 19:36:15

I have enjoyed reading this thread. I have noticed alot of us were heavily pregnant when we passed. Do you think we were calmer?

Guineagirl Sat 01-Aug-20 19:23:09

I passed mine first time at 18 and bought an old mini.

I always wanted a mini and bought one a few years ago I treasure owning it always reminds me of being young.

sodapop Sat 01-Aug-20 17:07:53

I was 23 when I took my test, failed the first time then passed on the second attempt. My ex was a car enthusiast and let me take his old Daimler out for my first solo trip. I was too scared to turn right so took a tortuous route home with mainly left turns.
I don't mind driving but I am hopeless at navigating.

Freeandeasy Sat 01-Aug-20 13:26:29

PS - forgot to add that when my partner had a look at the car he couldn’t see any sign of damage but when the solicitor from the insurance company emailed me photos of the damage -suddenly there WAS considerable damage (there wasn’t a scratch on my car). My partner (who has 50 years in the motor trade and has taught it for nearly 40) said there was absolutely no way my car could have caused that amount of damage when just setting off at a junction (and no damage to my car). The damage was done AFTER the incident (I refuse to call it an accident). They were obviously after the compensation money. The insurance company said it wasn’t worth going to court and just paid up (said it happens a lot). No wonder insurance is so high!

Freeandeasy Sat 01-Aug-20 12:17:45

I passed my test first time in 1976 (age 21). I wasn’t interested in learning but my father insisted and every week the money for lessons appeared on the dining table so I couldn’t refuse. My instructor lived across the road and was a very nervous man (no dual control) and that didn’t help as he made me nervous too. On occasions, part of my lesson was to drive the previous person home (a boy about 18). Apparently (according to my instructor) he was a “natural” and apparently I wasn’t. I remember my instructor’s car had a little sticker on the back window. When I did a 3 point turn I had to line the car up with the sticker - that was the only way I could do it! I passed first time and the boy I drove home didn’t (we took our test on the same day). My instructor was gobsmacked!

I think learning to drive was a lot easier back then (no written test/motorway driving). Back then learner drivers weren’t allowed on the motorway (I think - correct me if I’m wrong).

After I passed I didn’t drive again until I got married at 23 (my dad wouldn’t let me drive his car!). It was a Datsun (sp?) Sunny with a roof that opened up. I loved that car and had to give it back when I got divorced 4 years later (I took a cash settlement instead). I then couldn’t afford a car until I was in my early 30s. It was an old Fiesta (which I loved because it was bought by ME and not my ex-husband).

I’ve since had various cars over the years (all small cars) and when I retired nearly 3 years ago I bought another Fiesta (pre-registered but not brand new) to last me a few years.

Now at 64, I seem to have lost a bit of confidence. I don’t know why, as the only time I had an accident was when I skidded on black ice and hit a garden wall in my early 20s and another time (about 7 years ago) when I bumped another car at a junction. That’s another story though. I was convinced that the car had set off and they suddenly stopped dead. Suddenly, other people known to the drive appeared out of nowhere, taking photographs and talking in a language I didn’t understand. Unsurprisingly, I received a ‘phone later that evening asking if I wanted to settle out of court. Of course I refused, saying I would go through my insurance and unsurprisingly again, I later received a solicitor’s letter saying they were taking me to court. They were claiming all sorts of things - whiplash/trauma and had a private medical certificate. My partner (who was a head of Dept. in Motor Vehicle Electronics and Body Repair at our local college) went round to the house and saw the car outside. He couldn’t see a mark on the car (my car was undamaged too) so it was obviously a scam to make money.

Sorry - this is slightly off-track - just pointing out that these scams happen. Remember a TV documentary which featured the same car colliding with other cars at a roundabout (I think it was Panorama). It was spotted on several occasions by office workers from their office window.

PS - it didn’t go to court in the end as my insurance company paid up (I had legal protection). A shame really, as I would have loved my day in court to prove what a set of scumbags they were. They were awarded around 12k in compensation for trauma!!! (Sorry that was long!)

annodomini Fri 31-Jul-20 14:49:09

I was 19 and passed the test on October 18th 1960. I can remember that because it was my aunt's birthday. It was also my third attempt which I'm not proud of but I was arrogant enough to book tests when I was nothing like ready. My Dad took me in hand in the summer holidays and after that I was more than ready. I've driven over many 'interesting' roads in East Africa and covered a good bit of this island too. When we had a family caravan I did my share of towing. I've given up on long distances as I once very nearly dropped off on the M6. Now staggering towards 80, I am not prepared to give up driving. I hope my car will hold out too. ?

Lexisgranny Fri 31-Jul-20 12:50:03

60 years this June since I took my driving test, I had the afternoon off school. I was 17, and so confident I applied for my test as soon as I got my provisional Licence. I thought I had failed my test when a boy on a bike belted out of a side road in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and the Examiner hit the windscreen (no seat belts then). He sighed and said in a resigned voice “After that, I think we can dispense with the emergency stop”. My father was so convinced I would fail that he said he would pay for all my petrol for a year if I passed. I didn’t have any official driving lessons, just someone who had a licence sitting with me. I thank my lucky stars I didn’t have to do a theory examination, not to mention parallel parking, if I remember correctly there was only one motorway in those days. I can’t say I have ever really enjoyed driving, but living in a country town it was just a means of getting from a to b. I have driven through most of Europe, but didn’t enjoy it because I was missing so much by having to concentrate on the road, again it was just a means to get from a to b. My parents and grandparents on both sides drove all their lives without passing a test because there were no tests when they started to drive and all were excellent drivers.

millymouge Fri 31-Jul-20 12:27:24

Took and passed my test at 35. So glad I did I was a nervous driver and never thought I would. Have just decided to donate my little manual car to middle granddaughter who is learning to drive and treat myself to an automatic. We have a quite big automatic already so am used to driving one and find it so easy.

Purplepixie Tue 19-May-20 00:22:34

I passed my driving test when I was 27 years old. It just wasn’t something that was important to me at the time but now I am glad that I did. When I passed I was married with a 5 year old and a 3 year old and I got a job. The freedom that it brought was fantastic and I no longer relied on my husband. Then I got my own car and life was great.

B9exchange Tue 19-May-20 00:16:40

I was 17 and still at school. When it came to the test the examiner called my name and we went out to the car. Just as we approached it I felt my suspender belt snap, and my stockings begin to descend, so got in and sat down as quickly as I could. I coped with the first manoeuvres, but my nerves just got worse, each time I used the clutch to change gear my stockings would descend an inch further. I was so tense that I got an agonising cramp in my foot and asked the examiner if we could stop for a moment. He was very sympathetic and suggested I should get out of the car and try and work it off. I realised disaster would happen if I stood up, and insisted that I was okay to carry on. I completed the test still crippled with pain, and waited for the inevitable failure slip. There was a pause, and the examiner said “Well Miss ***, I am sure it comes as no surprise to you to learn that you have passed!”

I sat in the car, stunned, waiting for my instructor to return, and he signalled for me to slide over into the passenger seat and got into the car with a somewhat apologetic look on his face. He felt he had to ask how it went ‘Well?’ ‘I passed’ I said. His face just lit up, it became obvious, and indeed he confessed, that I was the first of his pupils ever to pass, he was so excited. ‘Let’s go and celebrate’ he said,’ where would you like to go? I could drive you to school so you can tell all your friends?’ ‘No, I just want to go home’ I said, to his disappointment. But I had no option, when he pulled up outside my house I was desperately clutching my suspender belt through my clothes, trying to get into the house before my stockings were completely round my ankles!

Dancinggran Mon 18-May-20 23:37:11

Took my test for first time aged 27 and 8 months pregnant...I failed, examiners face was a picture when he called my name and I stood up. My husband was made redundant shortly after and we didn't then have the funds for me to try again after our daughter was born. When 2nd daughter was almost 2, I decided to try again ( by this time I was on my own with the girls) I took my test the day after my divorce final came through and passed, I was almost 32 and have never looked back, there have been times when I haven't had a car but I enjoy driving and the independence it gives me. I rely on my car for work, love taking my DGC for days out and visiting family and friends - would definitely miss my car.

merlotgran Mon 18-May-20 23:12:39

When my 17th birthday was coming up my father said he'd pay for a course of driving lessons. I was disappointed because I really wanted some new clothes.

The best present I ever had.

ginny Mon 18-May-20 22:57:05

Passed my test first time , two months before my 18th birthday. Taught my my Dad and and 6 lessons with BSM.
So glad I learned them and have driven ever since. However, I don’t enjoy driving but love the independence and choices it gives me. Changed to automatic about 20 years ago and wouldn’t go back to manual. Not a bit interested in cars , as long as they are reliable and not too big.

JuliaM Mon 18-May-20 21:19:36

I took my first.driving test in 1974 aged 17, it was the Driving School car and it broke down on my test, so null and void. My parents refused to fund any more lessons and I was just a student at the time, so gave up for a while until I could afford a few more lessons, then passed it first time in my husbands car, aged 21 and heavily Pregnant! The examiner looked more nervous than I did!
I bought my first new car when I was 24, a basic Mini Metro, and drove all over the Uk in it, sometimes with a small camping trailer on the back. Started working full time as a Nurse in 1984, so treated myself to a larger more powerful car, and borrowed my Mum's Caravan regularly, towing many miles and visiting some quite remote places. This was to be the start of a lifetime of Caravan ownership, and along with my Second Husband, we have owned a total of 9 caravans over 34years, and still own one today, although he does all the towing these days, and we dont go away half as much as we used to do when we used to go on the Club Rallies.
I was always the more confident driver of the two of us, always eager to explore a mountain pass, or drive and navigate an unfamiliar road, where as he would panick, pull over, and hand the car over to me! I used to love to do off road Rally driving in a 4x4 too, and got my 'Mudpluggers' badge for towing Caravans off really Muddy slippery Rally fields after a very wet weekend!

FlexibleFriend Mon 18-May-20 20:35:05

I passed first time age 33 just 3 weeks after second son was born. Had 2 two hour driving lessons for a couple of months while pregnant and took my test 3 weeks after giving birth despite everyone saying baby brain would kick in it never did. I loved driving and took the kids on days out just about anywhere. I also taught both sons to drive as I believe it's an essential life skill. Driving has always meant freedom pure and simple. Shame I can no longer drive as I've lost the use of my legs and right arm luckily my sons have become my chauffeurs.

rosecarmel Mon 18-May-20 20:17:39

I lived close to tons of public transportation so didn't drive until I was about 30-

SueDonim Mon 18-May-20 19:52:26

I passed first time when I was twenty two. I hadn’t expected to pass because I got off to a bad start. Leaving the test centre, some traffic lights changed to amber and I dithered about what to do until slamming on the brakes and coming to a sudden halt. blush

I was astounded when I was given the pass certificate - my instructor asked me what in earth I’d been thinking at the traffic lights and then told me that I’d only passed because the test route began at the far side of the lights! I guess I must have thought that things couldn’t get any worse unless I actually hit something and just relaxed for the rest of the route.

I love driving and can’t imagine how my life would be without it. We now live over three miles from the nearest bus stop so I’d be marooned if I didn’t drive.

rafichagran Mon 18-May-20 19:35:49

I was 24 and heavily pregnant when I passed.
I need it to get to work, and to collect my Grandson from school one night a week, pre covid.

Mrst1405 Mon 18-May-20 19:13:48

I passed my car test 2nd time at 17 and off I went. It was freedom and I still love driving apart from the M25 in our left hand drive car. I passed my bike test when I was 32 and well pregnant. A lot of my friends 'let' their partners dive then loose their confidence.

Ealdemodor Mon 18-May-20 19:08:49

I could never hack driving.
I have no sense of direction, could never steer straight, and cannot judge distance! Apart from that.........
Anyway, I use the buses, not always that good, but I’m used to it. Being a non driver has held me back in life, I know, and I could never live anywhere too far from a bus stop.
My husband is a lorry driver, and it would be nice if I could drive when we go out, to give him a break. Still, nobody’s perfect.

LadyGracie Mon 18-May-20 18:59:55

I passed first time in Malaysia at 17, I stupidly didn’t get an international driving licence so had to take it again in Northallerton at 22.

I’ve always loved driving. I’m a terrible passenger.