Gransnet forums

Chat

Shortest job you have had.

(30 Posts)
Lizzies Mon 18-May-20 15:28:21

When my DD started nursery school I decided to get a part time job. Our local supermarket advertised for someone to fill the freezers with F****s foods. The hours were 9.30 to 11.30 which worked as DD was only there 9.00 to 12.00. The first morning I was given a size 18 overall (I was only size 12 at the time) being the one the last person had and shown what to do. I got to work and got my job done. At 11.00 a supervisor came and asked if I could stay until 2.00! I had made it clear at the interview that I had to go at 11.30 and told her this. She said if I couldn’t do overtime then there was no point me staying, so I went. I got paid £4!

Dottydots Sun 24-May-20 11:02:55

I was about 19 and painfully shy. It was my first day at an engineering firm as a shorthand typist. To get to my boss's room, which was at the other end of the building, I had to walk past loads of men working at their machines. Of course, as I was new, I was subjected to a load of whistling and saucy comments. I was so embarrassed that I handed my notice in at the end of the week.

Looking back, it might have been fun if I'd stayed!

henetha Sun 24-May-20 11:33:57

I lasted one whole day as a leaflet deliverer. After being chased by various dogs, got my fingers caught in various letter boxes, insulted by a few recipients who didn't appreciate having advetising material shoved in their letter box,
I decided this wasn't my cup of tea and refused to do it any more. It gave me a new respect for postmen.

Alishka Thu 04-Jun-20 20:57:25

I'd been recruited to become part of a team of Senior Social Workers. When I arrived to meet the team I was a bit early, say,5mns?Asked to sit and wait til I was called in. One by one they passed me, no smile,nod,good morning - nothing, as they all entered the room.And there I sat until it was well past the time I'd been told.And I was well fed up of this. So I got up, told the receptionist/typist (who was nice) that I was going. And so I wentgrin

PinkCakes Thu 04-Jun-20 21:11:26

I did a couple of shifts at a petrol station, which was at the end of my road. It was terrible pay (long before minimum wage) and I finished late.