Gransnet forums

Chat

Manners going out of the window?

(63 Posts)
Mbuya Mon 01-Jun-20 09:06:23

I am interested to know whether you play any role in developing the manners of your grandchildren. If so, what areas do you focus on? Am I being rather old fashioned by insisting on things like elbows off the table, saying please and thank you and should all this etiquette training be left to the parents? It seems today all sorts of behaviour is now acceptable, such as wearing caps in the house or ignoring table manners.

Mbuya Wed 03-Jun-20 04:27:43

Thank you very much for your responses. I suppose that we just need to instill what is acceptable in different environments and with different people.

PinkCakes Tue 02-Jun-20 22:10:05

I made sure my own children said "Please", "Thank you" and "Excuse me", and thankfully, my grandchildren have been used to the same manners. They say "Please may I......"

GrannyBeek Tue 02-Jun-20 22:06:42

I was told that if you had your elbows on the table the footman/servant/waiter would not be able to serve your food.

MissTree Tue 02-Jun-20 14:14:00

To Smurf44
It’s fascinating to learn that’s why the elbow rule started. ?

Furret Tue 02-Jun-20 14:03:52

I think it is. I'd never ask anyone to remove their shoes but I'm always pleased if they offer.

mumofmadboys Tue 02-Jun-20 11:08:42

I think wearing hats indoors is up to the wearer and has no bearing on manners. Is wearing outdoor shoes inside considered bad manners?

NotSpaghetti Tue 02-Jun-20 09:50:33

4allweknow - I loathe the “ Sir and Ma'm ” of the USA.
I hated it 40 years ago but think it’s even more endemic now.

It smacks of subservience as it’s massively over used in my opinion.

Smurf44 Tue 02-Jun-20 03:35:33

Red1. Last Summer I took my then 5 year old GS to Mary Arden’s Farm near Stratford where Shakespeare grew up. At 1pm we watched the Master serving the meal to his servants before eating their simple Elizabethan meal. Apparently the table where they all sat was simply a loose board resting on “trestles”. If someone on one side rested their elbows heavily on the table the board (table) would flip up which resulted in plates and food being thrown into the air, which was a waste and a mess for all concerned. So “Elbows off the table” was strictly enforced. Maybe it’s not such an important rule these days! Merely an old fashioned tradition that has been instilled into us over the last 500 years! ?.

“Above Board” was another Elizabethan saying. Hands had to be visible at the “table” so none of the young male hands strayed anywhere near the young females during their meals.

We all learned something that day!

FarNorth Tue 02-Jun-20 01:57:33

Nowadays, I very much enjoy putting little pieces of bread in my soup to get soaked.
That's something I'd be told off for, as a child.

MissAdventure Mon 01-Jun-20 18:46:55

I was very strict with my daughter about manners, less so with grandson now.

I will get up and leave the table if I think he is deliberately trying to provoke a reaction.

Kim19 Mon 01-Jun-20 18:34:50

I don't get too excited about manners with GC. Too glad to see them to consider reprimands. Happily their parents seem to have the situation well in hand. However I don't always agree with their thinking but zip fully in place as it's just not that important to me and certainly their territory.

Furret Mon 01-Jun-20 15:00:06

According to the etiquette experts the act of removing your hat indoors probably began with medieval knights. In Medieval times any knight who failed to remove his helmet or lift his visor to identify himself could face fatal consequences. Knights also removed their helmets as a sign of vulnerability and trust in churches and in the presence of women and royalty.

So helmets off chaps!

Barmeyoldbat Mon 01-Jun-20 14:26:18

Mr B wears his hat indoors, he needs to wear one outside in the sun but as he is in and out all day he just keeps it on. What has not wearing a cap indoors got to do with manners. I believe manners is about respect for others.

tigger Mon 01-Jun-20 14:17:12

There has been an issue regarding "manners" for many years now. It begins at home I think but needs reinforcing with extended family, schools etc.

Esspee Mon 01-Jun-20 14:00:38

My elder son thanked me for insisting on good manners. He has noticed that the way he carries himself has had a huge impact on his career.

MawB Mon 01-Jun-20 13:38:42

My children are much stricter with their children than I think I used to be!
after each meal they say “Thank you for my nice lunch/tea / whatever. Please may I get down”
Mine used to ask to get down to be fair and as a child I had to say “Please may I leave the table” to which my Dad would usually joke “Well you can’t take it with you” - and we would groan.
But I also remember when the girls came home from visiting Granny and Grandpa I woukd realise what lovely manners they showed, not only at the table, but in general. I don’t think they were nagged into it, but followed the example of my in-laws who had lovely manners!
(Lasted about a day! )
TBH it is their parents’ job but the fact remains that good manners will stand anybody in good stead in later life -and boorish behaviour whether at table or elsewhere, and bad manners will always create a bad impression.
A good example by parents and grandparents however is worth any amount of nagging of course.

FarNorth Mon 01-Jun-20 13:29:01

'Hat honour' for men used to be very important.
In the 17th century men were expected to remove their hat to show respect for a social superior.
Quaker men did not do so, as they believed all were equal.

Oopsminty Mon 01-Jun-20 13:26:10

Uncooked joints off the table

One of my Grandma's favourite sayings

FarNorth Mon 01-Jun-20 13:23:58

I don't see my DGD often enough to influence her much.
I say please and thank you around her but she is very reluctant to say them herself, although her parents encourage her to do so.
Apparently, though, she is very polite at school. smile

Youngatheart51 Mon 01-Jun-20 13:19:38

My girls are quite strict about manners as that's how they were brought up. If the two younger DGC talk whilst eating I always say "chew, swallow then talk" which they both love & have been known to say it to their parents if needed! Our eldest DGD isn't allowed to look at her phone while eating. If one of the little ones coughs they will get a "hand" & obviously please & thank you but this is no different to home, if anything I'm more relaxed than their mums. I don't like rudeness, I quite often get a message to have a word with the eldest (though tbh I think her mum is too strict!)

EllanVannin Mon 01-Jun-20 13:17:09

My mother was a stickler for good manners and pretty outspoken too if friends didn't say please or thankyou, she'd ask them if they were taught manners in their house. Oh dear.

We always had to say please may I leave the table and I got the giggles one day when a cousin who was sitting at the table-top mangle had said " please may I leave the mangle ". It sounded so funny at the time.

Thankfully all my GGC were taught manners so please and thankyou come easy without having to remind them.

The boys don't wear caps, they'd never fit because they don't have short hair-cuts and their hair is thick on top but not down to their shoulders. Old-fashioned is what it would be called going by some haircuts.

TerriBull Mon 01-Jun-20 13:04:11

Just thought of something that strikes me as really bad manners and we saw a lot of it around before the lockdown. People who are out with a dining companion and then spend much of the time talking to someone else on the phone sad I wonder why they bother going out with a person who is right there in front of them when all their conversation appears to be had with whoever is on the end of their phone and aren't there with them. I do think it's bad manners to take telephone calls at the dinner table. Unless you happen to be a doctor on call, otherwise switch it off!

Jillybird Mon 01-Jun-20 12:56:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

helgawills Mon 01-Jun-20 12:55:38

Manners should lead to considerate behaviour, empathy. Etiquette is just for show. I just woke up to the fact, that in this con constituency selfish, inconsiderate behaviour is to be expected, as cons can only think of themselves, no matter, how much showy etiquette they are aware of. So we end up with a town centre park littered with debris and human excrement after much partying.

Pinkrinse Mon 01-Jun-20 12:55:12

Hi, we remind them of please and thank you. (Elbows on the table went out the window years Im afraid. ). I will pull them up about table manners - spearing a whole fish finger and then eating it bit by bite off the fork for example! But age appropriate. I expect better manners from the 12 year old then the 4! Other then that unless they're being rude or misbehaving I don't worry to much.