Gransnet forums

Chat

Who decides if they are national treasures

(30 Posts)
Justwidowed Wed 03-Jun-20 22:30:28

Have just watched Bradley Walsh... on his 60th birthday show.He keeps being referred to as a national treasure. So many people ,mainly actors and tv stars but there seems to be a never ending list of them.
To me the only national treasure is the Queen.What do other GNs think.

Callistemon Thu 04-Jun-20 18:11:57

MissA I think Captain Tom would be the exception to my rule.
He is indeed a treasure.

MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 16:07:28

Oops. Missed a '0' off.

MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 16:06:54

Maybe captain Tom would qualify?
I think it would have been more appropriate than 6800 birthday cards and a knighthood.

Justwidowed Thu 04-Jun-20 16:03:31

Yes I agree, I think it's an overworked phrase that should be used infrequently, but I still think the Queen is worthy of the name.I met her once at a military function, we were only a small group of six and the rest were dumb struck so I talked to her for a few minutes. I remember her asking if I had travelled a lot while my husband was in the army ab and had to reply that I had only met him when he came out after 22 years.

Eloethan Thu 04-Jun-20 15:35:55

I think some gransnetters should be well qualified to be a judge - like the one who famously asked who The Beatles were - completely oblivious of popular culture.

I agree with ginny. Our real "national treasures" are those whose names we will probably never know and of whom we have no knowledge of what they contribute to the world - not well paid entertainers who have have been fortunate to do a job they enjoy, and which brings them much acclaim and many "perks".

felice Thu 04-Jun-20 13:53:07

What is "The Chase" why would being on TV make anyone a National Treasure, I come from the Edinburgh Castle, Tower of London camp.

ginny Thu 04-Jun-20 13:44:12

For me a National Treasures are the thousands of ordinary people who go about quietly doing good in society with no thought of praise or remuneration.

Pantglas2 Thu 04-Jun-20 11:42:16

No wrath from me Oldwoman70 we’re all entitled to our opinion ?

Oldwoman70 Thu 04-Jun-20 11:24:32

It has always seemed to me that if a "celebrity" reaches an advanced age they are deemed a "national treasure" (although I don't consider 60 an advanced age!!). Can we look forward to the likes of Victoria Beckham being classed a national treasure at some point in the future!

I know I am risking the wrath of many GNs but am I the only person who doesn't consider David Attenborough a national treasure? Yes he makes some interesting programmes but it is his job and he is well paid. It should also be remembered that his travels over the years have caused more environmental damage than the majority of the rest of us.

Callistemon Thu 04-Jun-20 10:47:39

grin
I need a strong coffee! brew

timetogo2016 Thu 04-Jun-20 10:47:00

I notice these so called national treasures are not poor, quite the opposite in fact.
As far as i am concerned national treasures are oil painting etc.

MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 10:45:24

You had better go and have a lie down in a darkened room. grin

Callistemon Thu 04-Jun-20 10:44:08

Goodness, I agreed with you for once, paddyanne wink

Callistemon Thu 04-Jun-20 10:42:26

It's a daft tag to attach to a human being.

National treasures - valued items eg paintings, Celtic jewellery, the Sutton Hoo treasure ship etc.

I like Bradley but he's an entertainer, a person, a father not an inanimate object.

henetha Thu 04-Jun-20 09:41:26

It's subjective, isn't it, and light-hearted. We all have our own idea about who is a national treasure. Bradley Walsh would not be on my list.
The Queen heads it, followed by David Attenborough and then several others.

Lucca Thu 04-Jun-20 09:36:42

I think it’s a daft expressoin too, a bit like “fashion/music etc icon

lemongrove Thu 04-Jun-20 08:59:37

I have always wondered how National treasures acquire that tag!
Judi Dench, Alan Bennett, Maggie Smith etc.

sodapop Thu 04-Jun-20 08:53:08

Although I agree with everyone else about the National Treasure tag I do like Bradley Walsh. He turns his hand to a lot of things in the entertainment industry and is always upbeat and not full of his own importance like some. As far as I am aware there has never been any scandal attached to him and he seems a genuinely happy family man.

MawB Thu 04-Jun-20 06:40:25

I agree with Luckygirl - Bradley Walsh ? confused
Perhaps it is subjective though.
I wonder if we have our own notions of “National Treasures” - often recognised and honoured with a “gong” and certainly of advanced years - Bradley Walsh at 60 hardly qualifies on either count. smile

Calendargirl Thu 04-Jun-20 06:33:18

Judi Dench, Joanna Lumley, David Jason, Maggie Smith, these are a few names who come to mind as having been declared as national treasures.

All in the acting profession. Is it a ‘lovey’ thing?

Pantglas2 Thu 04-Jun-20 06:17:12

I’m not sure on the term for people rather than art, buildings etc but I’d suggest Sir David Attenborough for consideration. I think age is a factor and to me, 60 would be too young regardless.

Eloethan Thu 04-Jun-20 00:31:19

I like Bradley Walsh but I think the "national treasure" tag is silly - not just in his case but anybody's.

MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 00:08:21

Is there an age at which you become a treasure?
I'm not sure what the rules are. smile

It does seem a bit young.

V3ra Thu 04-Jun-20 00:06:36

At only 60 he's surely not old enough yet anyway??? ?

MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 00:00:07

The man who does 'The Chase'.
I'd rather watch him than the queen, I must say.