Gransnet forums

Chat

Are we all white racists?

(198 Posts)
ExD Fri 12-Jun-20 15:33:52

Have we any Gransnet members who aren't white?
If so, can you please explain the anger that's been evident during the recent demonstrations over the US police killing?
I don't want to be conversational, I just want to understand.

Madgran77 Sun 12-Jul-20 20:47:27

i think the need to think before opening their mouths at times.

I think that has probably applied toi every "younger generation" grin grin

paddyanne Sun 12-Jul-20 20:12:48

Lots of Scottish schools didn't teach Scottish history ExD We were taught more English/Empire history and our own was kept from us.Nowadays things are easy to find ,and thats why the information about Churchill sending troops and tanks into Glasgow came as a surprise to many when it hit FB a couple of years ago .It did encourage people to find out the real story behind a lot of Scottish events and a real upsurge in interest in Scotland spast

Iam64 Sun 12-Jul-20 18:38:39

The idea that because some of us weren't taught about slavery at school, that exempts us from understanding its lasting legacy, the lasting legacy of ur empire, just wont wash. It' s up to all of us to educate ourselves

grannypiper Sun 12-Jul-20 18:34:13

Madgran77 I do hope The younger Generation make a difference but i think the need to think before opening their mouths at time. There is a thread running on MN at the moment started by a poster after being told by her Sons 18 year old GF told her that a white person having a tan was racist!

Madgran77 Sun 12-Jul-20 17:11:59

I think the BLM movement, with today's younger generation, definitely will bring radical changes for the better this time. They're far more proactive and aware of their rights than any generation before them

I agree Chewbacca. Good thing, too

ExD Sun 12-Jul-20 16:38:39

I hesitated about replying, because I didn't ask the question were 'all black people racist?'
I was curious to hear the opinions of honest middle of the road people of colour who were members of Gransnet.
I've had two other posts removed by admin for being 'racist' (unintentionally I hasten to add) so I'm wary.
I think most people think their own race is the 'best' just as we think our football team is the 'best' or our religion is the 'best'. But historically it wasn't only white people who had slaves. Apart from sincerely regretting it and feeling ashamed by our ancestors, there's nothing to be done to redress it now.
Thinking of History - I wish I'd been taught Scottish, Welsh and Irish history at school as well as the true history of slavery.
Life isn't perfect.

Chewbacca Sun 12-Jul-20 16:26:19

I watched Back in Time for Brixton on iPlayer last night; has anyone else seen this? It follows the usual format of the "Back in Time" series and starts in the 1950s. It was noticeable that the 4 children in this family were aghast at the treatment that their forebears had been subjected to and they were far less tolerant and accepting of the overt racism that passed for humour in the 1960s and 1970s. I think the BLM movement, with today's younger generation, definitely will bring radical changes for the better this time. They're far more proactive and aware of their rights than any generation before them.

grannypiper Sun 12-Jul-20 16:00:46

ExD Are all black people racist ? You have your answer.

boodymum67 Sun 12-Jul-20 15:27:13

Over the past few weeks, I have watched a lot of youtube programmes about racism.

A lot of people of colour have said how they are sick of tributes to people like George Floyd, as he was a career criminal, a very nasty man and was never going to be a positive person in society.

These same people have said how many killings of people of colour are carried out by the same group of people.

I agree that slavery is and was wrong, but the majority of white people today did not and would not enslave anyone.

We cannot change history, but we can learn from it.

If we ALL live a decent, responsible life and bring our children up to respect others, then we are doing the right thing.

Callistemon Mon 06-Jul-20 23:20:22

I think we got much of our news from the newspapers in those days.
My father bought two, one Labour, the other more conservative. Plus the local area evening newspaper and the weekly local paper and two Sunday papers.

All good for lighting the fires and lining the dustbin afterwards. Some went into the runner bean trench.

Corryanna Mon 06-Jul-20 23:09:16

Crossed wires here, apologies. I do know about Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King and other black activists, I interpreted messages as being surprised if I currently knew nothing of this. In my 1st post I was expressing a “why is this still happening in a so-called civilised society?” I stand by my opinion.

Eloethan Mon 06-Jul-20 23:08:52

Corryann I don't think you had to be especially privileged to have a TV in the 60's. We lived in a fairly "working class" area of East London. My Dad worked in an office but in a fairly mundane job. Our neighbour worked nights at the Ford factory and his neighbour was a bus driver.

GagaJo Mon 06-Jul-20 21:59:18

I also had a very disadvantaged childhood. Poverty, divorce, latch-key child, neglect. But I'm 55 now (I think maybe about 5 years younger than you?) and in the intervening 45 years have found out lots of things I wasn't exposed to as a child. My family then was all white and at times quite racist.

As a matter of fact, I don't have a TV now. But I read lots.

Callistemon Mon 06-Jul-20 21:01:59

I thought, too, that you may have been aware of what happened to that immensely popular singer Nat King Cole, Corryanna as you say that music has been part of your life.

trisher Mon 06-Jul-20 20:48:47

I don't think your upbringing can be used as an excuse. We can all as adults take on the task of informing ourselves (or not) as we choose. I am constantly surprised by the history I was fed as a child and what I discover as an adult. This doesn't just cover black history but the history of protest and rebellion and the history of women's rights. As far as black history is concerned the British links with slavery are related in David Olusoga's excellent programmes. Watch those and then continue to believe that we don't owe a debt to those people who were enslaved for our benefit if you can.

Corryanna Mon 06-Jul-20 20:36:24

Not everyone had/has a privileged upbringing. As I said before, we had no TV for starters and parents who were very busy caring for family. I was only expressing my feelings about racism as it is in 2020.

Callistemon Mon 06-Jul-20 20:16:56

I'm not judging you in the slightest, Corryanna and was just surprised that you weren't aware of the news at that time. You are younger than me so perhaps were not aware, although I was only a very young child.

Corryanna Mon 06-Jul-20 19:30:51

I started school in the mid 60s, we had no TV, I was the eldest in a large-ish family and my mother didn't keep well. My Grandfather came to live with us in 1968, I spent hours practising and doing my homework. None of the projects we did at school were about race issues. Please don't judge me by what my recollections were or were not. Feel free to offer a critic or review about "Porgy and Bess".

Eloethan Mon 06-Jul-20 17:41:30

oopsminty Thank you for that info re Ruby Bridges - I had no knowledge of her personally but have looked her up on the internet.

Although it was truly disgusting the way she and other young black people were treated during that period, it was quite heartening to read of the bravery of those who refused to be intimidated by the white racist mobs.

For anyone who doubts how truly awful these racists were:

A mob followed Ruby Bridges every morning she went to school. One woman said she would poison her, another carried a black doll in a miniature coffin. Ruby had to bring food from home to be safe.

Her Dad lost his job as a gas station attendant, the family were barred from their local grocery store, her grandparents were turned off their land.

Along with the black community, several white people also lent their support. Quite brave at a time when they were likely to be ostracised from their community. Thank goodness for people like that.

Rosalyn69 Mon 06-Jul-20 16:28:54

Apparently I am so no comment.

Summerlove Mon 06-Jul-20 16:21:19

Davidhs

All so called disadvantaged minorities say they are being treated unequally, so you have to be sceptical about their claims. Poor, Gay, Female, Black, Old, Young, Disabled will all say they are being discriminated against if they don’t like their treatment.

I do know there are plenty of white women who complain that their maternity treatment is poor - but they can’t play the discrimination card can they!.

Aren’t you a treat.

What a disgusting attitude.

Madgran77 Mon 06-Jul-20 09:15:07

this is why we need black history month.

Black history month was/is a strategy to address imbalance. However unfortunately it also by it's very nature suggests that black history is somehow separate to "normal histpry"!!; "British History"!; "White history!";

It isnt separate, it's all intertwined, just history!

A full review of the curriculum that desanitises it, looks properly at all aspects, at key players in history, at tfe good, the bad and the ugly across history would be the best option, in my view!

In the mean time Black History Month provides knowledge and wider information but not necessarly context in terms of "History" in the rest of pupil studies

welbeck Mon 06-Jul-20 01:37:14

this is why we need black history month.

GagaJo Mon 06-Jul-20 00:32:15

And she's only 65 now Oopsminty. Not so long ago at all really.

Oopsminty Mon 06-Jul-20 00:12:09

Ruby Bridges is a case in point. Terribly brave child and parents. Appalling to think this was going on in 1959

www.womenshistory.org/education-resources/biographies/ruby-
bridges

There are 2 or 3 books about her school life. Well worth reading Through My Eyes.

Very brave family indeed. And the one teacher that decided to teach her.