Gransnet forums

Chat

Will we ever have equality?

(46 Posts)
AGAA4 Mon 15-Jun-20 15:19:58

Race equality is very much in our thoughts at the moment and I live in hope that things will change.

There is also equality between men and women. This has moved on since I was young but not far enough imo.

What do other gnetters think?

Whingingmom Mon 15-Jun-20 21:17:44

Davidh
It is what you meant - an element of disbelief in your statement that women can “even do technical jobs”. What a surprise!!
And in addition to other statistics FYI
21% of current engineering students in UK are female.
45% of doctors in UK are female.

Davidhs Mon 15-Jun-20 21:31:01

Madgran
I can google too, here is a Guardian headline

Where are all the women? Why 99% of construction site workers are male

Maybe there are a lot of women doing sales or admin because they ain’t laying bricks or plastering walls - but you know that don’t you.
Same for car mechanics, there are women working on production lines in the car factories, not in your local Nissan dealer Servicing, changing oil and tyres. Although the manager may well be a woman.
So let’s not pretend, most women don’t like heavy, dirty or outdoor work, the answer to the thread is still, there will NEVER be equality nor should there be

Galaxy Mon 15-Jun-20 21:34:12

Does saying these things go anyway to assuage your deep sense of inadequacy David.

Madgran77 Mon 15-Jun-20 21:44:22

Ofcourse you can Google too Davidhs. I simply thought it would be helpful to have the actual percentages. And I thought the link information was somewhat ironic as numbers are low!

I am not trying to "pretend" anything!!! Nor I am trying to provoke an argument

Davidhs Mon 15-Jun-20 21:46:11

Whingingmom. Doctors, I would have expected it to be higher % female, engineering students, great, as I said women can do whatever they want, the doors are wide open, most colleges
positively discriminate. That won’t satisfy feminists they don’t want equality they want supremacy.

Galaxy Mon 15-Jun-20 21:55:58

We have achieved it looking at the evidence on this thread grin

Whingingmom Mon 15-Jun-20 22:00:23

Men have had supremacy for centuries - obtained largely by violent means. Your opinion that women want supremacy is spurious and without evidence. I suspect what you mean is women do not want patriarchy. I do however respect your right to express your opinion and feel we have to amicably disagree.

Eloethan Mon 15-Jun-20 22:05:14

ladymuck You say "When you consider how many non-white people there are in politics and who have high positions in society ..... it is obvious that the opportunities for advancement are there."

An article in the Guardian in 2017 (https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/sep/26/employees-on-workplace-racism-under-representation-bame) included this information:

"New research conducted by the Guardian and Operation Black Vote has found just 3.5% non-white faces at the top of the UK’s leading 1,000+ organisations, compared with 12.9% in the general population...

In 2009, the Department for Work and Pensions embarked on an experiment, seemingly motivated by a desire to understand the causes of this longstanding problem... Civil servants concocted more than 2,000 fake job applications in response to 1,000 real vacancies across multiple sectors, professions and pay grades. According to the Mail on Sunday, officials entered very similar (made-up) CVs for each job, “one under a traditional Anglo-Saxon name, and [another] using an ethnic minority-sounding name.

"....................Theresa May, then the Conservative shadow minister for work and pensions, called the project “a waste of taxpayers’ cash”.

"The results, however, appeared conclusive. Applicants with white, British-sounding names were far more likely to be called to interview for a position than their ethnic minority counterparts.

" ................At the end of last year, a report by the centre-right thinktank Policy Exchange concluded that, despite a growing BAME middle class, ethnic minorities in highly skilled, well-paid professions are concentrated at the bottom level of senior management roles.

........ "In her recent review of race in the workplace, Baroness McGregor-Smith found that people of colour are much more likely to be overqualified for their jobs than white counterparts, who often advance up the ladder of promotion with ease. ...."

If racism is not responsible for this significant under-representation of non-white people at senior levels in commercial and public organisations, what do you put it down to?

Davidhs Mon 15-Jun-20 22:07:34

Galaxy
I don’t do inadequacy, I am one of the very lucky men who has everything he wants, after 48 yrs of marriage l lost my wife who gave me 3 lovely daughters and in turn 8 grandchildren. Now I have a new partner who my family love, life is good, so tell me your life is better, or should it have been if you had made better decisions.

Galaxy Mon 15-Jun-20 23:39:28

Imagine telling those daughters that they are not equal to men.

Davidhs Tue 16-Jun-20 07:25:07

They are much smarter than most men, all left home at 18 and found 3 good men, stayed together, good parents, good kids if only all women chose their men better.

Galaxy Tue 16-Jun-20 07:45:09

Just not equal to you though David.
If only all men did not not rape and hurt women. Women are not responsible for the actions of men.

Galaxy Tue 16-Jun-20 07:49:33

That should have said if only all women had men who did not hurt or rape them. As I said mens behaviour is not the responsibility of women.

quizqueen Tue 16-Jun-20 08:08:08

I agree there should be equality in the workplace for the same pay but some groups want equality plus. For example if women want the same responsibility at work as men for the same pay then they can't expect to be given extra perks on top like being able to leave early to take their child to the dentist or to attend to other caring jobs.

I don't find it's the men in work who expect to be able to do that, so equality will not be achieved until the mindset changes and both sexes accept they are equally responsible for family matters. I think this needs to start from at the beginning with boy and girl children being treated the same in the home. I find that is not always the way things are and, in general, young boys see women doing the most childcare roles so the rut starts there.

BlueBelle Tue 16-Jun-20 08:16:57

ladybella I hoped thatM but seeing what I m seeing now I know it hasn’t moved one jot from the days I was refused housing because my husband was black not once but over and over again It is so much deeper than you realise it’s insidious now no signs in the windows any more but it’s there festering away
But I do have hope in the younger generation both from prejudices, environment and women’s rights I won’t see it unfortunately but I pray it will happen one day and hope they have a second when they remember their Nan who was so passionate about all those things

Davidhs Tue 16-Jun-20 08:33:12

Galaxy
Equal to me?. They run their own lives in their own way

Violence against women. I despair at the lack of respect that men, young men in particular have for women, mostly low level stuff, but still bad. Why has society allowed this to happen, why has discipline including self discipline been allowed to deteriorate. It’s nothing to do with poverty because some of the worst examples are from well of families.
Society has to improve the way that young men are brought up, it’s not just education, parenting and mentoring as well, so I guess we agree on that.

Galaxy Tue 16-Jun-20 08:35:31

So they are equal to you david. That's good to hear.

MaizieD Tue 16-Jun-20 09:10:10

they can't expect to be given extra perks on top like being able to leave early to take their child to the dentist or to attend to other caring jobs.

Interesting that this should be seen as women's work. What is wrong with men taking their children to the dentist and doing 'other caring jobs'? Extend the same 'perks' to employees of all sexes.

I thought that the compartmentalism of jobs into 'women's' work and 'mens work' was long gone. It's alive and kicking on Gnet. Perhaps because some of us are old dinosaurs...hmm

Eloethan Tue 16-Jun-20 15:04:41

quizqueen Don't men have children too? If their partners don't take the children to the doctors, dentists, school appointments etc, etc, the men will have to do it instead - and the men will have to put up with the moans and groans of people who object to flexibility being allowed for child care/elder care duties.

I'm sure many working women would be quite happy to give up doing the bulk of the shopping, cooking, cleaning, ironing, etc. and work a full week for a full week's pay and a better chance of career progression, without the necessity of attending to children and domestic duties.

AGAA4 Tue 16-Jun-20 15:41:39

As I said in my OP I think things have got better but there is still a long way to go.

When I was working in a bank in the 60s the highest I could go as a woman was chief cashier. Management jobs were for men.

Trying to get a job with small children was almost impossible at that time so in that respect things are better now.

Violence towards women is just as bad as it always has been imo. It is a disgrace that some women are abused by their partners on a regular basis.