Gransnet forums

Chat

Feeling very hurt at not being invited to party

(84 Posts)
SheilsM Fri 26-Jun-20 22:57:18

I live in a small hamlet. I have a lot of acquaintances here but only one real friend as in “normal” life I spent a lot of the year going to France. But I try to be friendly with everyone. Tonight there was a party and I wasn’t invited. I know from my friend that lots of people including her and her partner were going. I just heard a gang of people all going past my cottage presumably on their way home. I live on my own and am so hurt I can’t get to sleep. It’s helped to just write about it on here.
My only family live in France (my son and family) so cant imagine when I’ll see them next. So feeling incredibly lonely.

Taliya Mon 29-Jun-20 15:32:25

Oh I'm sorry you are feeling a bit left out and not invited to your neighbours party. Maybe it's because you don't normally live there and spend most of your time in France. I think a couple of other people on this thread have said maybe you could invite them round..that might be an ice breaker and you may make some nice friends. I'm sure they would feel upset that they have made you feel left out as I'm sure that's not what they wanted...it's just maybe they are closer friends with the other people in the hamlet because they live there all the time. ?

4allweknow Mon 29-Jun-20 17:10:14

Should there be a party going on at all? Perhaps as some would be breaking the current rules they felt it would be best for you not to attend for safety sake. Don't take it seriously they may well have been looking out for you.

Elderlyfirsttimegran Mon 29-Jun-20 20:28:29

I don’t have too much sympathy for you. I live in a village where we have people wo dip in and out of village life. They push up local house prices. You don’t day by day shop in the locally shop all year round. You don’t contribute to village life. Why should you expect too be regarded as part of the village? Sorry, you simply have nothing to complain about. Get real.

Dollymc2 Mon 29-Jun-20 21:51:57

Shiels, I am sorry for you, it's a very difficult emotion to feel excluded
We are a couple and have felt more inclined to invite single friends to join us for a coffee or glass of wine, in the garden. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to be on your own in this dreadful time
Maybe you could find the courage to invite them, not all at once, but to get to know them individually. I know that I would find that less intimidating
Elderly, I find your comments rather cruel. Feeling lonely is something that we could all try to alleviate in our own way and that could make a difference to someone's life, just by including them
Kindness and empathy go a long way

Nanny27 Mon 29-Jun-20 21:59:11

Elderlyfirsttime. How mean! Lots of us have family abroad and have to divide our time between different households. My neighbour also has children in France. We look after her house for her when she's away and invite her round when she gets back.

MawB Mon 29-Jun-20 22:18:22

Elderlyfirsttimegran

I don’t have too much sympathy for you. I live in a village where we have people wo dip in and out of village life. They push up local house prices. You don’t day by day shop in the locally shop all year round. You don’t contribute to village life. Why should you expect too be regarded as part of the village? Sorry, you simply have nothing to complain about. Get real.

TBH that is precisely what could put a person off living in a village!
Who are you to judge whether or not OP is “part of her village” Are you Lynda Snell?
We moved to our N Bucks village from London 35 years ago and I am happy to say I have never encountered your type of attitude.
You say “get real” , might I respectfully suggest you do likewise.

Forestflame Mon 29-Jun-20 23:08:16

MawB.
Well said

mistymitts Tue 30-Jun-20 11:28:45

If you are not inviting someone because they are single and feel that they may or you may feel awkward why not include a plus one, could be a friend or relation, not necessarily a partner, if they wish to ofcourse. It seems very unfriendly and unkind to not invite some one to a village gathering, so try to make the first step when it's safe to do so and start to circulate a bit more, and invite people round for a cuppa sometime.