Gransnet forums

Chat

what to do for the best.

(85 Posts)
Corryanna Thu 02-Jul-20 17:12:20

I'm not sure where to post this so hope it's OK here.
For my 60th birthday (18 months ago) I asked for an electric bike. I was delighted with it but fell off the first 3 times I was out with DH. Now I was thinking "Why didn't ask for some jewellery?" but I had the occasional trip to my Pilates class and some shopping (although it was so cumbersome finding a space outside the Co-op and locking it up!)
Fast forward to Lockdown and we've been out a few times (not as many as DH would like but he is an experienced, proper Cyclist who, give him his due, has been very encouraging with me, it must be very frustrating going at "touring speed"!) Well, no more- after fall no.4 today. My thigh will be black+blue, on it there's a hard about the size of a tennis ball and my elbow+lower arm is grazed. I ache when I move and cry every time I think of it (3 hours ago). I don't want to go out cycling any more. DH will be disappointed that we won't do that together. I know some ladies would tell their partners they were not doing it anymore and not make a big deal of it but I'm a bit of a "Pleaser" if you know what I mean. Any ideas?

helgawills Fri 03-Jul-20 10:04:54

Hi, I can't help wondering if you have some medical condition you're not aware of. Parkinsons is often not diagnosed for 10 years, creeping up on you. Please go to your GP.

Marthjolly1 Fri 03-Jul-20 10:10:47

I have just sold my bike, very reluctantly. I used to ride absolutely everywhere and just loved being on my bike. A change in my circumstances prevented me from cycling for a couple of years. I was really upset to find out that when I bought a new bike a couple of years back I have lost my balance when cycling. Although I didn't fall off I was wobbling about all over the road and must have worried any passing motorist. So I gave up hmm. Sad but I do enjoy walking now. [Corryanna] I would also say had I fallen off even once my OH would be very cautious about my cycling. After 2 or 3 times he would certainly not be encouraging me.

sandelf Fri 03-Jul-20 10:16:32

What suits him doesn't suit you. You've given it a very fair try. Time to stop. Sell it on - someone else will be able to enjoy it.

midgey Fri 03-Jul-20 10:19:29

You could probably sell it for more than it’s original price at the moment. I loved cycling but the traffic is terrifying.

quizqueen Fri 03-Jul-20 10:24:22

I'd love an electric bike but can't understand why you would fall off it more than a normal pedal bike.

Flygirl Fri 03-Jul-20 10:28:28

What is the problem exactly? Just say after trying it several times you've sadly decided it really isn't for you. Sell it, get the money, buy yourself some decent jewellery.
Job done.

mrswoo Fri 03-Jul-20 10:39:32

I have a fear of bikes and cycling after falling off a couple of times when I was younger. DH tried to persuade me to have another go and probably visualised us riding out together on sunny days complete with picnic basket and lashings of ginger beer. He got me back in the saddle just once and I was panic stricken and actually started to cry. What made it worse was that we were still in Halfords at the time!
I'm sure you DH will understand why you feel you no longer want to ride your bike and will happily go on long rides by himself, as my DH now does. I do understand that you may feel that as the bike was a birthday present it somehow feels ungrateful to now reject it - but for your own safety and sanity you must tell your DH you no longer feel able to use it. I'm sure he will understand. Good luck.

MadeInYorkshire Fri 03-Jul-20 10:47:34

You need a 3 wheeler!

I have this one - all terrain and goes like the clappers, lol ....

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Mobility-Scooter-MC500-3-Wheeled-60V20AH-800W-LED-LIGHT-FREE-Insurance/223667494393?hash=item34139f1df9:g:xwcAAOSw481dgPXu

SueLindsey Fri 03-Jul-20 11:00:58

I used to love cycling but after losing a good friend (with young children), a work colleague and a doctor who all got killed cycling, I decided it was altogether too risky to cycle on our busy roads. Stay home!

Esmerelda Fri 03-Jul-20 11:03:22

Just what I was going to say MadeInYorkshire ... difficult, if not impossible, to fall off. Trade in the two wheels and get three wheels. Problem solved!

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 03-Jul-20 11:06:05

Not only are you a danger to yourself, you are a danger to others.
Just don’t go, tell your DH it isn’t for you, the last thing you want is to cause an accident.

NotSpaghetti Fri 03-Jul-20 11:09:26

I don't think you'll get the exercise with a mobility scooter. Electric bikes are still quite heavy - would it be worth trying either a light weight ordinarily bike or a trike?

A friend of mine loves her trike - she never got on with a two-wheeler and found the trike perfect. It's to do with the with you steer them apparently.

Good luck!

Dianehillbilly1957 Fri 03-Jul-20 11:21:30

I love my electric bike, but realise where your coming from, go out on your own, go at your speed, take in the sights and sounds & enjoy, once you do that you'll be relaxed and your balance should improve.
Think you're too tense with the other half speeding you up. My other half and I start out together and end up arriving home at different times, him before me!! Who cares? It's my pleasure.. Good luck.

Mollygo Fri 03-Jul-20 11:33:07

Tell him. We bought electric bikes when he retired-the sort that involve a lot of pedalling but kick in when going up hills-it’s very hilly around us.
My DH has only fallen off once (in France) but he’s so nervous it’s not really fun for him. So when he said he’d rather not cycle any more I happily agreed (and my daughter gratefully took the bike).

Freeandeasy Fri 03-Jul-20 11:37:27

Just sell the bike - I bet your OH will be relieved that he can now cycle at his own pace (albeit alone). Just cut your losses - you’ve given it a go and found that it wasn’t for you. You and your OH can find plenty of other things to do jointly. My partner is a keen and experienced cyclist but I would never dream of joining him as I wouldn’t enjoy it. I think I’d be Ok on less busy country roads but I could never imagine cycling on a main road - noooo! Sell the bike. I turned 60 a couple of years ago and asked for (and luckily received) a very nice eternity ring to celebrate our nearly 40 years of being together. Sell the bike and use the money for something that will bring you joy!

lemongrove Fri 03-Jul-20 11:48:13

What Freeandeasy says!
Do it quickly before you break bones.

kwest Fri 03-Jul-20 12:30:36

My friend is 85 and has just bought her second tricycle. She had one before and gave it away virtually unused about ten years ago. She is a little round 'old lady' in appearance, not remotely fit but does go to a very fancy health spa for a swim most mornings. I think thy look much safer than bicycles and have a vaguely eccentric look about them.

justwokeup Fri 03-Jul-20 12:41:48

I have two friends who have been hospitalised for weeks and are still suffering from health difficulties after falling off their bikes (separate incidents) and they were both experienced cyclists. It may not feel like it but you've probably been lucky so far. Bite the bullet and tell him - he may be of the same opinion but doesn't want to dishearten you.

justwokeup Fri 03-Jul-20 12:44:54

PS I wouldn't go alone either - one of the friends spent nearly half an hour alone on a quiet country road unable to move until a car came along.

Dillonsgranma Fri 03-Jul-20 13:11:07

Maybe just have a break from it. I think you’re trying too hard. He will understand you wanting to take a break from the bike .
If after a few weeks or months you still feel the same then sell the bike and buy yourself something with the money
I feel sure the bike shop where you purchased it would buy it back as it’s only been ridden four times.
Don’t over think the situation. It’s only a bike ?

Buttonjugs Fri 03-Jul-20 13:11:10

I’m sure he will understand that you are afraid of falling off and breaking bones! Imagine if you broke your hip, he would have to do everything for you. Tell him that it is a very real possibility and you’re just thinking of him, you don’t want him to end up being a nurse and housekeeper!

grandtanteJE65 Fri 03-Jul-20 13:23:37

Sell your nearly new bike and buy a three wheeled cargo bike with electric motor.

You will feel so much safer.

I stopped cycling on two wheels after my third fall, scared that my next one might just be in front of a bus.

SueDonim Fri 03-Jul-20 14:01:54

You can buy (if they’re not out of stock!) electric tricycles. I had no idea such a thing existed until I saw one in my local town recently. They’re very cute and I’m almost tempted, as a non-bike rider.

jorviktricycles.com/tricycles/electric-tricycles

Corryanna Fri 03-Jul-20 14:05:39

Thanks for all thoughts. I keep falling off as I'm an anxious biker with skinny legs and the once the bike starts to wobble, I can't stop it falling over and my weak ankles can't hold me up. No hearing, seeing or thinking problem I'm just too weak. DH understands 100% how I feel and "Woman up!" was the best 2 words anyone could have said to me - thanks so much Lucca. Also, had there been a car coming yesterday, well, it doesn't bear thinking about.
I'm not going to rush to sell it, but wait till the 6" x 5" purple bruise on my thigh, my skinned elbow and stiff neck are better. Walking is a much safer option! Thanks for all the helpful thoughts and advice.

Nanacool Fri 03-Jul-20 14:09:25

Funnygran I am 75 and have had various electric bikes for 20 years,long before they became fashionable! My eyesight has never been good enough to drive, so my bikes have been a lifesaver. I also ride horses, so biking 3 miles twice a day in all weathers an electric bike is a necessity. But if I could drive I would never ride any sort of bike again lol