Gransnet forums

Other subjects

Feeling really let down

(6 Posts)
Flakesdayout Thu 16-Jul-20 10:42:48

I had a Hospital appointment yesterday which was changed to a telephone appointment. My allocated time came and went and I stayed by the phone all day. I even took the phone into the garden with me when I watered the plants (tucked into my bra). I had no call, nothing. Needless to say I feel really let down. I was so looking forward to this appointment and to possibly have my medication reduced. Has anyone else had this happen ?

annsixty Thu 16-Jul-20 11:15:09

Not that precisely but I am waiting for a hip replacement.
I was told it would be in February, then it got put back to March 27th,
It was cancelled due to COVID on March 22nd.
About 5 weeks ago I received a phone call to say elective surgery was stating in July and those of us cancelled at the last minute would get priority.
On Monday I was told October will be the earliest date offered.

I expect by then COVID will have spiked again and we will be back to 4 months ago.
I realise this is not a life threatening situation but it it is life changing for me as I am incapacitated.
I just hope the damage done during the long wait won’t affect the success of the surgery.

To come a little closer to the OP, I arranged a telephone app with my GP yesterday at 8am and she rang me at 9:10am.
I hope you get your call today.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 16-Jul-20 11:22:56

Yes my friend had the same happen, but it was put over to her GP to do. The receptionist rang her to say the dr would be ringing her to discuss what would happen at 11.30 the following day, she waited in nothing rang later spoke to receptionist who apologised said he had a long list to get through and she would find out when it could be done, rang back later saying next day at 230 nothing still waiting this was two weeks ago,

Juliet27 Thu 16-Jul-20 11:33:22

My GP. Phoned me a couple of hours beyond the allotted time...just as well I was in!

Marydoll Thu 16-Jul-20 11:37:48

I know of others in the same position. It has also happened to me, but the NHS is swamped at the moment.
My RA consultant was seconded to Covid ICU, so I have struggled to speak to someone. However, although it is stressful and disappointing, I have accepted that there are others whose needs are greater than mine at the moment.

I was very fortunate in that my recently retired RA consultant stepped into the breech and unexpectedly phoned me from home (despite shielding) to check up on me.
He then contacted the relevant people and I was eventually able to access new medication in hospital.

We are living in very unusual times and it seems as if we will never go back to how we were.
I do hope you eventually get your phone call.

Greenfinch Thu 16-Jul-20 11:40:11

Exactly the same thing happened to my DD on Monday. She waited all day for a telephone appointment with her consultant as she is awaiting an operation. Nothing happened so she rang up the next day and was told a letter had been sent instead. Although the letter was dated a week previously it has still not arrived.