Gransnet forums

Chat

Feeling Emotional after Lockdown

(8 Posts)
BryanthePigeon Sat 15-Aug-20 23:40:59

What about setting yourself up as a Virtual Assistant?
Draw up a CV showcasing your best admin skills and advertise it locally, asking interested parties to get in touch with you to find out more, discuss rates of pay, hours, etc.
You can work from home, set your own hours, and pick and choose the type of work you want to do, etc...
VAs are becoming increasingly popular nowadays, especially with small businesses or single entrepreneurs who can’t afford/don’t want to have a full-time employee, and I imagine that will apply even more in this new society.

Alexa Sat 25-Jul-20 15:36:15

PS you do need a purpose, and where to find one is to do something you like to do . Anything at all as long as it's not immoral, illegal, or fattening.

Alexa Sat 25-Jul-20 15:34:17

Candy, your letter is not dull and boring, anyway. I am not much of a joiner either, and lockdown is a good excuse for not taking the trouble to join things. Maybe it would be worth while to make the effort to join something if only to be with people for the duration of the meetings. WI might be easy for you to try out.

Candy6 Sat 25-Jul-20 15:07:23

I’m not sure TBH but will check it out. Thanks x

ClareAB Sat 25-Jul-20 13:37:12

Do you have an agency near you that offers temp admin jobs? you can pick and chose plus be as flexible as you want without worrying.

Candy6 Sat 25-Jul-20 13:30:13

I was in admin before and this is the type of job I’m looking for. There’s lots around, some just aren't suitable, others are but like I said, I’m not sure if it’s my age putting them off. I wouldn’t mind doing some admin volunteering but never seem to find anything like that. It all seems to be about working in a charity shop which I don’t really want to do.

vampirequeen Sat 25-Jul-20 12:55:27

What makes you think you're dull and boring? I bet you're not boring but you do sound lonely and bored. Some people are just not meant to be at home alone all day others thrive on it.

What type of job did you have before early retiring? Could you use your skills to set up a business or get involved with a charity in a way that will utilise your skills?

Candy6 Sat 25-Jul-20 12:41:20

Hi all, I loved lockdown. Obviously I was sympathetic to what was going on, particularly those who were affected and who lost loved ones. Other than that I can honestly say I haven’t felt so happy for a long time. I have struggled the past few years with my mental health, low mood, anxiety and panic mainly but during lockdown, this all went away even though I was upset at not being able to see my DGS/D. My DH was home (unpaid) and my DS was home (furloughed). Now, however DH is back at work full time and DS is going back to his city job tomorrow and I’m distraught over this. All I can think about is that I’ll be on my own all day and I hate it. It causes me great anxiety.

I took early retirement 2 years ago and thought that was the right thing to do. Now, however, I wish I had a job, a purpose even. I’ve tried for various things but I’m suspecting my age is putting employers off (59). I’m also a bit restricted at to what I can do as I look after my DGS for two days per week. I’ve thought about volunteering but I can’t get excited about it TBH. I know a lot of people join clubs and things but I’m not really into that either. I’m just too dull and boring. I would really love to be one of these people who can be happy at home doing stuff but it just makes me feel sad. I just feel so lost and am dreading tomorrow when my DS goes back, my purpose will be gone ?