Gransnet forums

Chat

Hasty purchases pre-lockdown

(33 Posts)
MrsEggy Wed 29-Jul-20 15:11:51

Just coming to the end of some cheap, thin loo paper bought in haste in the week before lockdown. Will be so glad to get back to our normal quilted variety. Did anyone else buy in haste and repent at leisure?

annep1 Fri 31-Jul-20 16:58:03

I bought a large pack of loorolls for the machines in public loos in our local market. . Cost £10. Still under the stairs. I wonder who would use it.
I bought a six pack of colourful bandanas and a turban type in a hurry thinking they would sell out, as I couldn't go to the hairdressers. Not used either. Dont suit me at all. Bought a velvet hairband.

Elrel Fri 31-Jul-20 16:53:46

I bought 3 kilos of delicious dates. No regrets!

alig99 Fri 31-Jul-20 16:44:22

Crikey if you've still got loo paper from the beginning of lockdown you must have been one of those people stripping the shelves until none lefthmm

Whingingmom Thu 30-Jul-20 19:30:42

A hula hoop to keep fit (used twice).
A tub of dried milk.
Tins of curry.
However, it did make me appreciate why my mum, who grew up during WW11, kept a little stash of tinned goods in the pantry “just in case”. (No hula hoop though!)

rubysong Thu 30-Jul-20 19:15:39

Two tins of new potatoes. They will be going to the food bank this weekend. I wonder if they would like some of the scratchy loo rolls. Yes, I'm guilty! Just before lockdown I bought 48 'Who Gives A C**p'. They are the standard ones, not the luxury, and I rue the day. I shall be so glad when they are gone.

HurdyGurdy Thu 30-Jul-20 16:59:30

I over-reacted after hearing a doctor saying that moist air could help the symptoms, so I bought a humidifier.

Thankfully, none of us has shown any symptoms, so I have no idea if my latest "dust collector" is effective or not. I've not even got it out of the box!

Redactrice Thu 30-Jul-20 15:03:27

Yup. I’m fed up with cooking the same horrible dried spiral pasta all the time (which takes twice as long to cook as it claims), having bought 12 packs of it at the beginning of the panic. I can’tr even eat the stuff but my partner will never waste anything. He says it’s fine. Also sitting in the cupboard unopened is a 500g tin of Nescafé Gold Blend that I’d happily give away if anyone wanted it. I’m hooked on Kenco Colombian but that’s all I could get back then.

jocork Thu 30-Jul-20 14:28:12

I'd accidentally bought too many loo rolls before the shortage as they were on offer and when I got them home I found I already had a big unopened pack! I did let friends know in case they ran out but no-one needed any. Getting through them slowly but at least they are my usual soft brand.

I ran low on flour when it was in short supply and wanted plain but could only get a solitary bag of self raising from the very back of a low shelf - had to get an assistant to reach it which may be why it was still there! Before I opened it I found another solitary bag on a wrong shelf on my next shopping trip, this time the plain I wanted so I gave the SR to our vicar who had been baking little treats for us all during lockdown!

I suspect that when the end of the year comes and Brexit kicks in for real there may be shortages again so I'm keeping my cupboards well stocked with tinned stuff and my freezer full. Let's hope it isn't necessary but I'm not taking too many chances.

aonk Thu 30-Jul-20 14:10:09

My problem has been the substitutes sent in my supermarket delivery. It’s now possible to return them but not possible when the lockdown began. Everything went to the food bank apart from the odd perishable item still taking up space in the freezer. We’ll use these when we get desperate!

Bluecat Thu 30-Jul-20 14:07:36

2 tins of corned beef. God knows why. I haven't eaten any for years and DH doesn't like it. Must have been prompted by a wartime mentality.

GelJ Thu 30-Jul-20 13:44:23

Howcome - make summer pudding with the bread, yummy and simple

inishowen Thu 30-Jul-20 13:14:27

I tried not to buy more toilet rolls than we needed so have no stockpile. I remember people stocking up on chick peas. Why????

Lexisgranny Thu 30-Jul-20 11:55:11

Not pre lockdown, but an example of how you learn by experience. Many years ago I decided to make (what was then) a quite elaborate cake for my grandmother’s 80th birthday. Her name was Rose and I wanted to decorate it with roses made out of icing sugar. To do this the recipe demanded gum tragacanth. Having exhausted local sources and being unable to find it (no internet then) my husband was going to Liverpool so I asked him to try there. He went into a chemist, and they had it, he didn’t know how much he wanted, but decided on a lb. The Chemist looked surprised and my husband told him what it was for. The man laughed and told him uthat a lb of tragacanth would “ice a bl.....y elephant”

Coggers94 Thu 30-Jul-20 11:53:35

I bought some cheap toilet rolls from Groupon. Cannot wait to finish them and get some decent ones.

Newatthis Thu 30-Jul-20 11:53:08

Food banks are still wanted lots of donations- not sure about the skipping rope though!

moggie57 Thu 30-Jul-20 11:30:53

maybe a few extra toilet rolls .but nothing else..........you see that man that bought a factory load of toilet rolls .took them back to the store and asked for refund .they told him no.!!!!!must have a least 1.000 packs of at least 32 rolls....no one wants to buy them off him...

JuliaM Thu 30-Jul-20 11:04:24

A dozen tins of Corned beef, not the usual brand I buy, and arrived from a kind neighbour who believed she was doing us a favour. I have managed to use a few tins of it making pies and pasties, but its so fatty that l have to scrape so much away from around the edges before I can use it, but my Daughter's Dog doesnt mind this in the slightest, and watches every move I make until she gets her reward!

Shortlegs Thu 30-Jul-20 11:01:39

Shortlegs mantra: Buy cheap, buy twice.

Moth62 Thu 30-Jul-20 10:59:02

Long life milk makes lovely creamy custard and sauces. Also quiches. I use it a lot - from choice!

Jaxjacky Thu 30-Jul-20 10:51:39

A catering size tin of mushy peas! Was using a wholesale site and misread the size..

Callistemon Thu 30-Jul-20 10:51:34

I bought long life milk.

At first we couldn't get a grocery slot but our neighbours brought us some milk so a couple of weeks ago DH took the LL milk and put it in the crate for the food bank.

Callistemon Thu 30-Jul-20 10:49:16

Turmeric is good for you grin

GrannyGravy13 Thu 30-Jul-20 10:48:45

Another one here who bought bread flour and yeast.........still hoping GrandpaGravy will get back into bread baking!!!

Illte Thu 30-Jul-20 10:45:21

Some turmeric. I managed to get an online delivery and added it as a last item.

It arrived in a 1kg bag?

Teacheranne Thu 30-Jul-20 10:45:07

Now I know who bought all the toilet rolls!

I bought some dried yeast and strong flour in March as I supposed to be going to a workshop to learn to make different types of bread. The course was cancelled, I did not use the ingredients ( not a bread maker) so gave them to a friend at the height of the flour shortage. I was kind of hoping she would give me some of the bread she made as a thank you but nothing materialised!