Gransnet forums

Chat

Public cleavages

(171 Posts)
Baggs Wed 05-Aug-20 11:32:28

Is it polite to have your cleavage on display at a funeral?

Alexa Fri 07-Aug-20 11:15:42

Some newly bereaved are more traditional about rituals such as funerals.

Did anyone watch 'What We Did in the Holidays" last night on television BBC4?

Juneandarchie1 Fri 07-Aug-20 18:44:13

Personally I find cleavage and light coloured clothes at a funeral disrespectful. Your are there to mourn that person. A celebration of life comes after a funeral

MissAdventure Fri 07-Aug-20 19:55:47

Ah, I don't think it matters that much.
Even if someone is over the top (in more ways than one) they've still gone to the effort of going to pay their respects, dressed in what, for them, is smart attire.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 07-Aug-20 20:14:16

Totally agree MissAdventure the days when everyone had a funeral outfit sitting in their wardrobe ready and waiting are long gone.

moonbeames Sat 08-Aug-20 03:17:56

No.

grannylyn65 Sat 08-Aug-20 04:22:25

Why you even asking

Alexa Sat 08-Aug-20 10:21:04

Mill Adventure: "over the top" [smile[ smile smile

Bbbface Sat 08-Aug-20 11:12:55

I wonder if Jesus Christ would have had a problem with a guest attending a funeral displaying cleavage

I suspect not

I suspect his attention would be more focussed on the gransnetter judging her

lemongrove Sat 08-Aug-20 12:13:06

We will never know Bbb but women attending funerals in Palestine two thousand years ago would be covered up.
Tbh I don’t think any man ( apart from the vicar/priest/ celebrant maybe?) wouldn’t enjoy seeing cleavage ....but that doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to do it at a funeral.Apart from anything else it screams ‘look at me!’

Rosalyn69 Sat 08-Aug-20 14:27:35

I’m not sure it matters. It’s not going to offend the deceased.

Anne107 Mon 10-Aug-20 09:26:57

Lol would really depend! I personally feel it is disrespectful but that’s me.

Glorybee Mon 10-Aug-20 11:24:46

Bbbface

I wonder if Jesus Christ would have had a problem with a guest attending a funeral displaying cleavage

I suspect not

I suspect his attention would be more focussed on the gransnetter judging her

Although he’d be aware of all that was going on at the funeral as he’s omniscient, his focus would most likely be on the heartbroken.

Spangler Mon 10-Aug-20 14:21:36

"lemongrove Sat 08-Aug-20 12:13:06"

"Tbh I don’t think any man ( apart from the vicar/priest/ celebrant maybe?) wouldn’t enjoy seeing cleavage ....but that doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to do it at a funeral.Apart from anything else it screams ‘look at me!’"

That is so true, Lemongrove.

MissAdventure Mon 10-Aug-20 18:21:17

All of it, or just parts? smile

Grandmafrench Mon 10-Aug-20 18:39:38

lemongrove spangler. I so agree. Some years ago I grew so tired of seeing women and girls' bare middles, especially the very pregnant ones. Bored with it, I hoped that clothes which covered more would come back into fashion. Since then, and much worse, we are regularly treated to nothing more than bits of dental floss which pass as beach wear and endless, endless, huge, in-your-face, false boobage which either can look totally out of proportion, very ageing and matronly - or even comical. Bring back the days when all the goods don't have to be in the shop window at once!! As for funerals - or even weddings for that matter - how about wearing something pretty, smart, subtle, appropriate even. Something which doesn't shout "look at me", something which doesn't involve dressing up body parts which often would look so much better covered up. Just for a change, show some respect!

Sing19 Wed 12-Aug-20 07:08:59

A relative wore a white dress with blue and red flowers and red strappy sandals to her very elderly mother's funeral. I wondered if the DM had liked her in it, but no, it was purchased especially for the occasion.

Whilst she looked very nice in it, it would have been more appropriate as a wedding dress or for a formal garden party.

It did get her noticed, which I suspect was the plan ?

MummyJoJo62 Wed 19-Aug-20 13:36:27

Are we talking women? If not then NO and are we talking chest cleavage? again if not then definitely NO hahahaha!! grin

jenpax Wed 19-Aug-20 13:54:01

A step relative of my late mother turned up at her father-in-law’s funeral in a red sexy dress! This was intended to be rude as she felt her in laws had helped her ex husband conceal his affair!

V3ra Wed 19-Aug-20 14:19:56

Singl9 if it was the relative's own mother's funeral I can't see it's for anyone else to judge.

Neither my sister nor I wanted to wear black for our Mum's funeral. We decided that as the daughters of the deceased it was up to us to make that decision.

We didn't wear white though, or strappy sandals, but what we felt comfortable in.
And neither of us has a cleavage to flaunt even if we were that way inclined, which we're not!

paddyanne Wed 19-Aug-20 16:07:22

if strappy shoes are a problem then I'm in trouble I only have high heels and most have straps .My friend 's 25 year old died after falling in a river.She requested his friends came in their party clothes and everyone else wear something bright .Some could only cope with a bright scarf but at least they tried. Clothes ,low cut,tight or brightly coloured and mourning someone are not incompatable