Gransnet forums

Chat

Baby Name has caused a rift

(202 Posts)
MummyJoJo62 Wed 19-Aug-20 13:19:35

I feel I should almost whisper this as I have surprised myself with how upset I became as I have always held the mantra of "A rose would still smell as sweet were it a rose not called' and all that ,sorry if I have misquoted Its been a while since O level and I only got an E! Anyway has anybody really really really hated a name that has been given to your grandchild and did you manage to keep your mouth shut about it? I didn't! OOPs!

MummyJoJo62 Wed 19-Aug-20 16:21:11

annsixty That is lovely! I feel wrong names coming on!

BlueBelle Wed 19-Aug-20 16:36:30

Can I just take you up on one thing your heading is Baby name has caused a rift well that’s not true the name has caused the rift your reaction and inability to say ‘nowt‘ has caused the rift

BlueBelle Wed 19-Aug-20 16:37:28

Sorry that should read

The name hasnt caused the rift

Oopsminty Wed 19-Aug-20 16:42:39

My children have quite unusual names that were possibly frowned on

However they are all adults now and their names don't appear to have done much harm

My grandchildren have more normal names

Nobody complained at my children's unusual names. ( not massively) and nobody has mentioned gc names

Best to say nothing. They do grow into their names.

SpanielNanny Wed 19-Aug-20 17:07:17

As others have already said, the name hasn’t caused the rift. You caused the rift by speaking when it was not your place to do so.

It is highly unlikely that the name will be viewed the same in the future as it is now. I have three Horaces in my family growing up. I don’t think I’ve come across a baby called Horace in my adult life. The name would be considered unusual now (and likely to get the child mocked). A few years ago I would have sworn that Neveah (heaven spelled backwards) was not a name. I’ve met three little girls with his moniker in the last couple of years.

For what it’s worth, the associations/connotations of names change and evolve over time. My niece was 15 when the parody cover of ‘Living Next Door To Alice’ was released. She went through the rest of her teens having expletives shouted at her every time she introduced herself. By her 21st birthday she was using her middle name, and has done ever since. Her parents gave her a ‘normal’ name, but popular culture changed its meaning.

annodomini Wed 19-Aug-20 18:00:31

My Mum was somewhat put out by our naming of our first son. She thought he should have my Dad's name, until I asked her if she would have liked a girl to have her name - Ethel. That put the matter to rest.

annodomini Wed 19-Aug-20 18:00:32

My Mum was somewhat put out by our naming of our first son. She thought he should have my Dad's name, until I asked her if she would have liked a girl to have her name - Ethel. That put the matter to rest.

annodomini Wed 19-Aug-20 18:00:32

annodomini Wed 19-Aug-20 18:01:54

OFFS. I pressed Ctrl-enter and nothing happened so I did it again. Will I never learn?
Rhetorical question.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 19-Aug-20 18:08:05

Whether you like your grandchild’s name or not is immaterial, not your baby nor your choice. If I hated the name of any of my grandchildren I wouldn’t say it to my son or daughter! What do you gain from that! Only to upset them, babies tend to grow into their names

Starblaze Wed 19-Aug-20 18:11:55

My mum hated my daughters name as she said it reminded her of someone she hated. She harassed me constantly to change for weeks. Of course I said no, she was registered and it was her name.

It was not the same name or a variation of the same name. Just had one part in common.

Mum ignored my daughter and when I estranged her my daughter just shrugged her shoulders and got on with her life.

Its just a name OP. You owe an apology as you have caused this issue, not the name. I'm not saying this will lead to estrangement of course, my mum was awful in a lot of ways but I can tell you it hurt my feelings a lot.

Chewbacca Wed 19-Aug-20 18:18:30

Not your baby. Not your choice. Apologise.

HolyHannah Wed 19-Aug-20 18:37:31

As Starblaze said, "Its just a name OP. You owe an apology as you have caused this issue, not the name." and I agree.

Everyone has a right to feelings/opinions but what you do with those 'things' is what matters.

Also, some seem to forget that if You have a thought/opinion on something and express 'it' to others', THEY have "same right" to disagree and have an opinion about what you said.

The moral of the story being, if you express a dislike for something that was NOYB (like their child's name) and the person who it IS "their business" objects to your opinion/view, then you need to own up and apologize.

Family rifts/resentments tend to build over time and focusing on the 'name' of the child and not the child itself is such a waste of energy.

welbeck Wed 19-Aug-20 19:16:03

i see Horace was voted top poshest name in 2016.
by MN !!!!!!!!!!!!
i quite like it, an anglicised horatio, the man of the moment.

SpanielNanny Wed 19-Aug-20 19:47:21

welbeck when my son was a child, he planned on calling his pet Guinea Pig Horace. A few days earlier he’d asked what my grandparents etc were called, and found the name highly amusing. Alas the Guinea Pig already had a name, and he decided to keep it.
He & dil didn’t use it for my grandson, but should they have another, I may suggest it. DS obviously enjoyed the name, perhaps it could come back into fashion!

Hithere Wed 19-Aug-20 19:50:58

This is not about the name, it is about your entitlement thinking you has a vote on the baby's name

Be careful this doesnt show again as you only get X amount of strikes before it backfires

Hithere Wed 19-Aug-20 19:52:00

You had.... hate keyboards in cellphones

MummyJoJo62 Wed 19-Aug-20 20:00:12

Hithere

You had.... hate keyboards in cellphones

What does this mean?

BlueBelle Wed 19-Aug-20 20:00:16

My granddad was Horace and became my beloved Hossie

Hithere Wed 19-Aug-20 21:05:38

OP,
Typos

janeainsworth Wed 19-Aug-20 21:14:15

Not really relevant to the OP, but my mother wanted to call me Roberta.
Dad went to the register office when I was 5 days old and put me down as plain Jane.
But Mum got over it wink

Callistemon Wed 19-Aug-20 21:31:44

My mother wanted to call me Muriel.
Thank goodness she had second thoughts

'You're terrible, Muriel!'

(Apologies to any Muriels on GN!)

vegansrock Wed 19-Aug-20 21:41:17

It’s your problem if you don’t like the name no one else’s. The parents obviously like it,so tough. Get over it. Send a bouquet “to the Proud parents and the lovely xxxxx. Can’t wait to see you all“ ( or similar message).

Hellogirl1 Wed 19-Aug-20 22:00:16

My youngest son is called Neil. My mother ned that it was too difficult to remember!

dontmindstayinghome Wed 19-Aug-20 22:14:01

My Mum hated the name given to our eldest Grandson as it is the same name as her friends dog!

She refused to use it and kept referring to 'their baby'.

It was staring to cause some friction so I had a strong word with her and pointed out that lots of dogs had 'human' names - Ben, Sam, Millie, Lottie etc.

When I reminded her that our other son has a dog called Eric she gave in and started using the name.