Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you ever seen a flying saucer or UFO? I have!

(87 Posts)
Applegran Mon 31-Aug-20 10:03:35

This morning I had to call Mr Apple to look at the flying saucer I could see on the horizon. It looked stationary and hovered above distant hills. On reflection, I decided it should be called a UFO - it certainly was an unidentified flying object. Then it moved, very slowly, downwards - it looked like a barage balloon - does anyone remember these? I don't know what it really was. Have you ever seen something really inexplicable?

Oopsadaisy4 Mon 31-Aug-20 10:07:23

A few years ago we were walking in the grounds of a country Hotel, I looked at the horizon and what looked like the space shuttle shot straight up into the air, too far away to hear anything, but although we checked the newspapers and online nothing was mentioned.
As far as we could tell there were no Military bases nearby, but as it was so far away it was hard to tell.
And we couldn’t think what it could have been as it’s unlikely that a space shuttle would go up in the air in Hampshire!

Illte Mon 31-Aug-20 10:18:43

We lived near an experimental Air base and saw and heard a number if strange things over the years.

My favourite was the circling lights, a cluster a bit like a flying saucer, that rotated high in the sky. A large drone prototype?

The base is disbanded now. (They say) ?

BlueBelle Mon 31-Aug-20 11:51:02

No such thing

lemongrove Mon 31-Aug-20 11:57:49

Yes applegran a few years ago I saw much the same as you did, probably a barrage balloon type thing, silver coloured.
It certainly made me look twice!

tanith Mon 31-Aug-20 12:54:12

I often see strange things in the air and as I sometimes can’t tell what it is I suppose it technically is an UFO although almost certainly either a plane or helicopter. I Do live close to Heathrow and RAF Northolt so lots of different comings of every variety.

tanith Mon 31-Aug-20 12:54:55

Comings and goings

moggie57 Mon 31-Aug-20 12:58:00

could have been a weather balloon.../or a loose advertisement balloon...i thought i saw one in the 1970's flew over our house it was too low for a helicopter and made a whirring sound....apart from that i seen one from an aeroplane so did 200 other people. it skipped throught the air like a bullet..was like a missile...(maybe it was) ......

Starblaze Mon 31-Aug-20 13:01:43

Everything is a UFO without my glasses lol

I don't think I have ever seen anything that was 100% unidentifiable or inexplicable but I would love to.

I always wonder if there might be alien teenagers out there in trouble with their parents for buzzing past the odd human for a laugh

Summerlove Mon 31-Aug-20 14:53:10

BlueBelle

No such thing

Oh course there are!

paddyanne Mon 31-Aug-20 15:25:37

My OH saw one quite late at night when walking the dog ,he was speaking to a neighbour who saw it too.It was all over Scottish newspapers the next day ,had been spotted countrywide .I was so disappointted I'd missed it

BlueBelle Mon 31-Aug-20 17:56:32

Sure summerlove with little green men with antennas on

Summerlove Mon 31-Aug-20 21:06:01

That’s not what I said.

A ufo is an “unidentified flying object”
That could be anything. It doesn’t necessarily mean it’s aliens.

The US released footage of unidentified flying objects in June.

sparklingsilver28 Mon 31-Aug-20 21:11:21

"Have I ever seen a Flying Saucer"

Yes, the day I threw one across the kitchen when the cat got under my feet!!!

Chewbacca Mon 31-Aug-20 21:21:48

grin sparklingsilver

rosecarmel Mon 31-Aug-20 21:22:55

The Pentagon released footage recorded by Navy pilots of UFOs-

Airline pilots have gone on record indicating that they too have seen UFOs-

Witzend Mon 31-Aug-20 21:26:38

Thought I saw one when I was about 13.
My father called the police - all reports are apparently taken seriously. They asked exactly what I’d seen, what time and roughly where, etc.

petunia Tue 01-Sep-20 10:01:59

Ive never seen a UFO but I wish I could. With a universe that is infinite and subject to millions of possibilities, how sad if we are the only planet to have intelligent beings.

Lewie Tue 01-Sep-20 10:16:38

The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

Aepgirl Tue 01-Sep-20 10:21:46

I think it’s very possible that another planet could have more intelligent life than Earth - however, that’s not difficult when you listen to Piers Corbyn (Jeremy’s brother) on ITV This Morning.

Philippa111 Tue 01-Sep-20 10:25:46

I am sure there are other intelligent species living on other planets. We humans are rather naive if we think that we are the only ones living in the Universe. Can't help but wonder what 'they' are thinking when they observe the mess we have made here on planet earth. I have seen a couple of 'craft' in the distant skyline, an especially bright one on New Years Eve some years ago... I live in Edinburgh and I think they might have been looking at the huge firework display. I think if it was just one person seeing something it could be said that they might be mistaken but when several people see it, how can one say they were all wrong?

Philippa111 Tue 01-Sep-20 10:27:16

Lewie and Aepgirl... love your comments!

WeeGranny178 Tue 01-Sep-20 10:30:06

Yes A few years ago I saw some lights in the sky when I was out walking my dog before going to bed they looked like the were playing tig I ran home to get my husband to see them when he came out they were over the house moving very fast darting over the trees at the side of my home very strange and quite unnerving. I live in a very small village 20 miles away from the nearest airport.

Magz57 Tue 01-Sep-20 10:30:56

Petunia you are playing fast and loose with the word intelligent in connection with the words human beings!! Lol. We are pretty crazy to have figured out how to end the planet we live on either through nuclear weapons (there are no winners once those buttons start getting pushed) or abuse of our planet before we can at least escape from it!!
As for UFO’s yes I have seen a couple in my time. If it’s flying and you don’t know what it is then it is an unidentified flying object until such times it has been identified. Some things never get identified but we shouldn’t jump to the conclusion it contains little green men.

Tweedle24 Tue 01-Sep-20 10:33:24

If it is flying and we don’t know what it is, is unidentified, hence UFO.