Gransnet forums

Chat

Surfeit of Plastic Bags - What to Do?

(12 Posts)
Jillybird Mon 31-Aug-20 12:01:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Calendargirl Mon 31-Aug-20 12:04:12

Our local food bank often wants bags, and charity shops used to be short after the charge came in, not sure if that is still the case.

Charleygirl5 Mon 31-Aug-20 12:25:02

I agree with Calandargirl- charity shops were always looking for charity bags in my area.

TheReadingRoom Mon 31-Aug-20 12:27:32

Our local Tesco has just put out their carrier bag recycling cage again. Not only do we recycle torn plastic bags but all soft plastics - mail bags, clean frozen food bags, clean clingfilm, etc. - that can't go in the weekly hard plastics collection.

Teacheranne Mon 31-Aug-20 12:51:40

I also have a huge stock of plastic bags from my click and collect order, some are fairly flimsy but some are the strong bag for life type. I'm hoping my local charity shop will accept them but at the moment they have refused them, their customers have to bring their own bags.

I have problems walking around a supermarket due to arthritis so am planning to continue using click and collect long term. As I also rely on the wonderful staff to put my order in the boot of my car, I think I will continue to have a supply of these bags.

I have significantly reduced my use of single use plastic by buying various silicon products so am unhappy about this but I can't see an alternative.

kittylester Mon 31-Aug-20 13:52:04

Hang on to them.

Sainsbury's aren't delivering in bags any more so you will slowly work your way through them.

Teetime Mon 31-Aug-20 15:39:26

Ocado are delivering in bags and they say they are hoping to start their return scheme soon.

Jillybird Mon 31-Aug-20 18:20:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tweedle24 Mon 31-Aug-20 18:23:48

Teetime I have been told that too but, hope they have huge vans to accommodate them when they start collecting again.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 10-Sep-20 15:35:14

Here we put them in the recycling bin. If you can't do so, ask the recycling plant what they suggest.

There must be an enviromentally safe way of getting rid of them, if not you could consider starting nagging the local council until they start a plastic-bag-recycling-plant.

Charleygirl5 Thu 10-Sep-20 15:57:31

Morrisons has started to pick up bags again so I am happy.

BlueBelle Thu 10-Sep-20 16:03:58

I can only speak for 5he charity shop I work in and we can neither take carrier bags or give them out People just have to bring their own
I also have loads but just keep using them for rubbish
I used Iceland during lockdown and everything even if it was one item came in separate bags