Gransnet forums

Chat

Should I get a Kindle?

(56 Posts)
ExD Sun 13-Sep-20 15:54:27

My DD keeps urging me to get a kindle but I'm not sure.
My eyesight for reading is pretty good although I do use glasses for closework. My problem is that I notice when I use my laptop late at night before I do to bed, my eyes get very dry (feels like I have some grit in them) and I don't sleep well, even if I've put drops in them.
Would a kindle have the same effect?

Trisha57 Sun 13-Sep-20 19:25:23

I had an original Kindle, and then updated to the Paperwhite. Best thing ever! And I have joined Kindle Unlimited for £7.99 a month. Huge selection of books (I read at least 3 a week!) and no worry about how much you are spending as they are all free once you pay the monthly fee.

Davidhs Sun 13-Sep-20 20:54:15

I’ve got the original Kindle e reader and it’s still going strong upload a books anywhere I can get a mobile or WiFi signal.
It’s just like paper to read and the battery lasts several days the Paperwhite is similar.
The Kindle Fire is similar to an iPad LED display with a backlight, much shorter battery life but you can read it in the dark!.

JuneRose Sun 13-Sep-20 21:03:44

I have Kindle Fire for reading and also for audible books - great for when I'm cooking or pottering in the kitchen also use it as a tablet and for emails. I also have a Paperwhite for reading outdoors. I wouldn't be without one. Best thing ever!

NanKate Sun 13-Sep-20 21:09:42

Gulligranny likes similar books to me (nothing too fluffy) which she recommends to me, which is excellent. ?

Devorgilla Sun 13-Sep-20 21:12:45

I have a Kindle which I use in bed at night and on holiday. I read real books during the day. I had a couple of eye operations and find the kindle is better for me at night in bed as I can enlarge the print. Have you had your eyes checked? I say this because my eyes felt gritty and I had loads of floaters. My optician diagnosed a problem with the macula and I was sent to the hospital. It turned out I had a macular hole which needs speedy attention. The operation was a success. Just thought I'd mention it as I ignored it for a while as I put it down to the dust created by our builders.

JuneRose Sun 13-Sep-20 21:14:21

Also it has a setting called blue shade which should stop your eyes straining at night and you can turn the brightness up or down according to the light in the room.

sodapop Sun 13-Sep-20 21:17:45

I understand the reasons why people like e-readers but not for me. I prefer the heft of a book in my hand, being able to flick back to a previous page and just the fact that it is a book.

Maggiemaybe Sun 13-Sep-20 22:18:11

I do agree that there are some disadvantages, and that one is that it isn’t as easy to flick back if there’s something you want to check on. And of course some bigger tomes have family histories, etc, printed at the front, which are much easier to check out in a printed book.

GrandmaKT Sun 13-Sep-20 22:43:38

Maggiemaybe, your Kindle should have a search facility so you can easily flick back to check on something. If I get confused over who a character is, I just search on the name and get all previous occurrences - much easier than searching through a physical book!

Maggiemaybe Sun 13-Sep-20 22:47:02

Thanks, GrandmaKT, I’ll have a look for that.

annodomini Mon 14-Sep-20 00:11:29

I have both a Kindle Paperwhite and a Kindle Fire. I can read one while the other is charging. The Fire doubles as a tablet so I can use it for the internet, email etc. The Kindle is great for reading outdoors as the screen is non-reflective, unlike the Fire which is not. I appreciate the fact that I can enlarge the font on the Paperwhite as I'm not quite as able to read small print as I once was. I, too, suffer from dry eyes but use gel eye drops before going to sleep and don't wake up with gritty eyes in the morning.

Spice101 Mon 14-Sep-20 00:18:47

I bought a Kindle before I went overseas some time ago. It was great but now I use my iPad with the Kindle app and find that better than the Kindle. Being able to adjust the print - size and font and the background colour and density is very helpful. I also find it easier to hold than a book.

Floradora9 Mon 14-Sep-20 22:05:51

The Kindle paperwhite is the best you can use it anywhere even in bright sunlight. Ours have been a godsend these past few months . I subscribe to Kindle Unlimited so get ten books out at a time and we both can read them . I have also indulged myself by preordering the latest Val McDermid and Anne Cleaves books as I would have to wait for ever to get them from the library. You can get free books often as well .The Kindle Fire is good if you want to do everything on the same tablet but I have both because I read so much. I love the fact I can have quite big print on it too.

NotTooOld Mon 14-Sep-20 22:48:00

Definitely get a Kindle. They are the best thing since sliced bread. I wouldn't be without mine. Some of the new books are a bit expensive but there are daily deals and lots of books for just one pound. Well worth it, you won't regret it.

ExD Tue 15-Sep-20 09:28:09

I downloaded an app called eBooks, and have downloaded a free book to it which I started reading.
Now I can't find it because I didn't pin it to the desktop or the taskbar. When I do find it (its in there somewhere) how do I put an icon on the desktop?

JessK Tue 15-Sep-20 10:33:04

I wouldn't be without my Kindle, especially when going on holiday.
I must admit though it doesn't have the same pleasure as opening a book and turning the pages.

henetha Tue 15-Sep-20 11:11:52

Books are best, absolutely. But a Kindle is useful, for holidays, for when you can't get to the library, like in lockdown etc.
To have both is the ideal.

libra10 Tue 15-Sep-20 11:20:13

I recommend buying an Apple Ipad Mini, and download the Kindle app.
You can download ebooks within minutes, and also use the tablet for internet and emails.
I read and review ebooks for NetGalley, and download many books at no cost, before published.
Would be lost without it.

ExD Tue 15-Sep-20 14:26:48

So it boils down to kindle Fire or kindle Paperwhite? Cost might be the decider.

seacliff Tue 15-Sep-20 17:30:29

Kindle is better for your eyes (as a dry eye sufferer) and for reading outside.

Tablet good for free library books, and also using for email, Gransnet etc.

Jaberwok Thu 17-Sep-20 06:20:31

Absolutely love my kindle! I'm using it in bed now with Mr J sleeping peacefully beside me! (no light on needed which would have disturbed him!!) I'm about to go onto my excellent book! A good way to start the day!?

G1asgowgal Thu 17-Sep-20 19:30:13

I am currently on my second kindle the first one broke through overuse I think. I absolutely love it. If my eyes are tired I can increase the font size. And there are so many free books out there both on amazon and on BookBub.
Wouldn’t be without it now.

grannyrebel7 Thu 17-Sep-20 19:52:40

I used to love my Kindle Fire and used it for a long time, but then went back to real books. I think they were all the rage about 5 years ago but not so popular now. Give it a try though you might like it.

Anniezee Mon 12-Oct-20 15:25:08

If you get a Kindle paperwhite it is just like reading a book - no blue light which is what computer and TV screens have which causes eye strain. I read from a Kindle Paperwhite every night in bed (and most mornings) - no extra light required.

GrandmaKT Mon 12-Oct-20 15:35:38

Just a heads-up to anyone thinking of getting a Kindle. It's Amazon Prime Days tomorrow and Wednesday. If you have a Prime account there are usually big savings to be had on Amazon products, including Kindles.