Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this a scam?

(32 Posts)
Mal44 Wed 16-Sep-20 14:27:17

Hi everyone
For the past three days I have received recorded telephone call supposedly from Amazon advising me that my Amazon Prime is about to expire and unless I press “one” my a/c will be debited with £39-99.
I have just put the phone down as I have never had Amazon Prime.Is this some kind of scam?

Alegrias Wed 16-Sep-20 14:30:38

I think it is Mal44. I've had the same calls and I do the same as you, put the phone down. I do have Amazon Prime and there's been no change to my account since these call started up.

Its annoying, isn't it?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 16-Sep-20 14:31:19

I'm pretty damn sure it's a scam. I get a recorded message from them too and I press the 'block' button on my phone blocker. Then they ring again in a few days from a slightly different number. The fact that neither of us have an account with Amazon is a dead giveaway.

Esspee Wed 16-Sep-20 14:38:52

Yes this is one of many scams doing the rounds at the moment. Do not respond.

Luckygirl Wed 16-Sep-20 14:39:54

Yes indeed - I have been getting one that tells me my phone and broadband are about to be cut off and to press one or two.

Apparently as soon as you press either you get locked into some sort of payments. I just put the phone down.

sharon103 Wed 16-Sep-20 14:41:04

I've had the same thing via email. I don't have amazon Prime.
Also the TV licence scam. Just ignore it.

Starblaze Wed 16-Sep-20 14:46:52

I'm so tired of these things.

A woman called me earlier full of sympathy as apparently I had a car accident that wasn't my fault.

I said, yes, it was terrible. I died.

She hung up

Liz46 Wed 16-Sep-20 15:24:02

I just hang up too.

I had a strange new one recently that sounded quite threatening saying that if I didn't pay the tax I owe someone would come straight round to my house.

I did report the phone number for that one.

TwiceAsNice Wed 16-Sep-20 15:30:22

It is definitely a scam. These phone calls have been happening for weeks, they must manage to get money out of some people . I pay Amazon prime but I knew mine had been taken out at another time already. Not that I wouid have given anybody any details in a phone call!

rite Wed 16-Sep-20 15:32:42

Starblaze - I love it!!! Must use that one next time!

SpringyChicken Wed 16-Sep-20 15:33:58

I had the same call. Definitely a scam. I doubt Amazon would contact anyone by phone.

Jaxjacky Wed 16-Sep-20 16:20:15

Unfortunately there’s a load going round, both phone and email. Amazon Prime, TV Licence and HMRC, ruthless barstewards.

Mal44 Wed 16-Sep-20 18:10:03

Thank you all I am reassured that it has happened to others.I have unsubscribed from Amazon as I think they hold too much of our personal information even though I have rarely used them.

Franbern Mon 21-Sep-20 16:27:12

It is nothing to do with Amazon, purely a scam. do NOT PRESS 1, than can put you on to a premium rated telephone system.
None of the companies as named by JaxJacky above would try to contact you in this way. You can block the numbers as they use them, and if it is on your landline, it is a good idea to use the messaging service.
Always someone out there trying to steal from us.

NfkDumpling Mon 21-Sep-20 17:00:15

BT and Sky both have a call identification service on landlines which is free. We have Sky so have SkyTalkShield. It works. Not sure how, but it does.

Thoro Mon 21-Sep-20 17:17:29

I’ve had a call just saying my Amazon Prime is continuing (or something similar) but not asking me to do anything- I thought it was odd but as they didn’t ask me to do anything (which I wouldn’t have done) I just accepted it (I do have prime) but maybe I just didn’t listen to the end of the message!?

NanTheWiser Mon 21-Sep-20 17:20:55

I had the Amazon call this afternoon. It’s a common scam, so I put the number on my blocked callers list.

YorkLady Mon 21-Sep-20 17:57:45

Liz46

I just hang up too.

I had a strange new one recently that sounded quite threatening saying that if I didn't pay the tax I owe someone would come straight round to my house.

I did report the phone number for that one.

I had one similar to this today. Apparently there is a warrant issued for my arrest, due to Customs Fraud! To stop this being issued, please press 1. angry
It was an automated voice and a name was never mentioned. They certainly are getting more creative.

Desdemona Mon 21-Sep-20 18:09:34

I have been getting the Amazon call a few times a week now for months - definitely a scam so hang up as others have said.

I also got one from 'BT Openreach' the other day that said my computer was running slow and they could sort it out. I said my internet was not with BT but they argued that BT was the UK's biggest network so it was their job to sort it out - I hung up there too. sad

TerriBull Tue 10-Nov-20 18:39:00

This is not relating to Amazon, but anyone who has 3 as a mobile phone provider should be aware of fake text messages. Had one this afternoon, telling me that they couldn't process my latest payment, my DD to them goes out at the end of the month. The request was for me to up date my billing information, no chance! Phoned my bank who confirmed that the last DD had been collected without problem and 3 had not applied for another which isn't due for several weeks. Obviously a scam.

Hetty58 Tue 10-Nov-20 18:41:39

Yes, it's a scam and never ever press 1 (or do what they ask) or you may find that you've been charged a lot for a premium rate call!

Thoro Tue 10-Nov-20 18:46:03

I’ve had a couple recently supposedly from Amazon saying someone had bought an iPhone costing £thousands and to press 1 if I made this purchase and 2 if not.
Did check my Amazon account which was fine - but didn’t press anything and just put the phone down

moggie57 Tue 10-Nov-20 18:49:31

SCAM ... i had to same . then i had one about my washing machine insurance, hmmm nice try but i am paying it monthly through argos.told the woman nice try ..

M0nica Tue 10-Nov-20 19:32:11

Assuming this call, and others,are just playing recorded messages, the thing to do, when a phone call comes from a number you do not recognise, is to pick the phone up and say nothing. If it is a scam call after 5-10 secs, you will hear a a very quiet click. It is definitely a scam and the tape machine has automatically turned off and moved on.

I did do this once on a genuine call and after a few seconds someone spoke the other end and I just apologised and explained my silence.

The advantage of this system is I have no idea who pretended to ring me whether Amazon, Microsoft, HMRC, or Uncle Tom Cobbly and all so do not worry about it.

Devorgilla Fri 27-Nov-20 09:46:37

DH has just got an email allegedly from DPD telling him, and I do not misquote, that his parcel is being REASSED.