Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this a scam?

(33 Posts)
Mal44 Wed 16-Sep-20 14:27:17

Hi everyone
For the past three days I have received recorded telephone call supposedly from Amazon advising me that my Amazon Prime is about to expire and unless I press “one” my a/c will be debited with £39-99.
I have just put the phone down as I have never had Amazon Prime.Is this some kind of scam?

Devorgilla Fri 27-Nov-20 09:46:55

The mind boggles!

Oldwoman70 Fri 27-Nov-20 10:33:40

I have had one which states it is from BT saying there has been "suspicious activity" on my computer and if I didn't want my broadband disconnected I should press 1. This is obviously a scam as the voice isn't recorded but computer generated! I hung up.

In any event if I get a call or email I am not sure about I never press 1 or click on the link - I check direct with the organisation (using a number or email I know is genuine).

It is such a shame we have to be so careful and distrustful these days

petra Fri 27-Nov-20 10:48:53

Mal44
Amazon hold no more information than Tesco, Sainsbury', etc etc etc. I'm sure you must use one of those.

jaylucy Fri 27-Nov-20 10:56:10

Yes it is and there have also been emails sent out along the same lines. Amazon are fully aware of both.
If anyone rings ( and some companies have even managed to show a local number on caller display ) and it is something that you don't know anything about or have no connection with, just put the phone down!
Any legitimate company will call you straight back.
Even better, invest in a phone with a built in call blocker - you won't get the calls in the first place!

Granarchist Fri 27-Nov-20 12:15:55

its a scam. I press the button to speak to someone and then let rip. Makes me feel much much better. Last Sunday morining I got one at 7am!!!!! my language was not pretty.

eazybee Fri 27-Nov-20 13:15:41

I have just received a call telling me that £39.99 has been deducted from my Amazon account (don't have one) and telling me to press 1 to retrieve the money.. Did not, but it is reassuring to be told of all the variations on these scams.

Shandy57 Fri 27-Nov-20 13:20:07

I got the Amazon call on Monday - but know that I pay monthly by DD. It's shocking really, Bell would be horrified at how his invention is being misused.