Gransnet forums

Chat

Dog Name Change - Silly Subject

(76 Posts)
DinaLK Fri 18-Sep-20 12:18:36

My husband and I got a new puppy. We named her one name that we both agreed upon. It felt right calling the new puppy #1 name. We sent an announcement to our family. Later that day, we received a call from our son saying that he and his wife (our dil) would like to request us to consider changing the name to something difference because that is his wife's mom's name. At first, I was taken-back from the silly request thinking "it's our dog", "how silly", "we didn't name the dog after her mother to begin with", etc. BUT, at the same time I thought if it bothered them that much to call, no big deal to try a different name, name #2. Well, we've been calling the dog name #2 and it just doesn't feel as right as name #1. I think we'll get used to name #2, but curious what everyone thinks ??

Callistemon Sat 19-Sep-20 12:11:45

Anyway I can imagine somebody calling ‘Luna’ and a whole loads of animals turn up.

Tails wagging, all hoping for a treat!

Lucca Sat 19-Sep-20 12:19:26

I love seeing dogs and cats given “people names “ Like Dave or Margaret both of which I’ve come across

Callistemon Sat 19-Sep-20 12:21:47

Friend's female cat was called Dave.
I know a Doris too.

lemongrove Sat 19-Sep-20 12:22:55

Davida1968

Personally I prefer not to use "human" names for pets. (I'd choose what I call a "proper pet" name, though these days it's hard to know/predict what "unexpected" names someone may give their child!) In DinaLK's situation I'd definitely change the dog's name, just to keep the peace. On the subject of dog names, I have never come across a dog called "Rover" or "Fido" - has anyone?

Yes, popular names for dogs when I was a child were both Fido,Rover,Blackie and Sandy and with cats I knew several called Tiddles, Blackie and Tabby.Not much imagination around back then.

djgmpg Sat 19-Sep-20 12:26:56

I named my dog George, and it definitely suited him, quite forgetting it is also my Dad’s name. (I only ever call him Dad....). He didn’t mind. Are you sure your son’s mother-in-law minds. Or is just the daughter in law?

sodapop Sat 19-Sep-20 12:36:51

Don't think that matters djgmpg best to keep relationships harmonious and its easy to change a puppy's name as Diana has done. It would have been more difficult with an older dog.

Oopsminty Sat 19-Sep-20 12:40:53

I know a lovely Mabel. Cocker spaniel who is great friends with my pup.

Kartush Sat 19-Sep-20 12:49:26

If you didnt realise that you had named your dog after your daughter in laws mother then its pretty obvious that you arnt that close to her so i dont see the problem really. I mean is she ever likely to visit you?
I cant imagine any of my children asking me to change my dogs name for any reason

schnackie Sat 19-Sep-20 13:13:02

My real name is often one given to dogs, and whilst I say it doesn't bother me (especially if I don't know the person very well) it does bother me - a little bit if I'm being honest grin

Tillybelle Sat 19-Sep-20 14:14:51

DinaLK. For what it's worth I would change the name from the same one as your DIL's mother. I know it will be a bit upsetting for you, having chosen a name that was just right in your mind, but it would seem really hard for your DiL and her mum to hear a dog being called by her name and they might be a bit hurt.

I let my grandson name the puppies last time I was name choosing. He came up with "Potato...Cabbage... Onion... Carrot" so I did a bit of nudging and he went on to Spring flowers which worked very well especially as my rescued dog who had arrived in November had been named Poppy.

Tillybelle Sat 19-Sep-20 14:18:10

schnackie. I am interested in what you say as my daughter has named one of her boys by a name everyone knows for an animal in a cartoon. I immediately said the famous line that goes with the name. There are, fortunately, some famous people by the same name and I am hoping his name will not be so well known to his generation in the animal context but it still appears on TV.

Tillybelle Sat 19-Sep-20 14:22:59

sodapop. To my surprise my rescued toy poodle, who had suffered dreadfully at the hands of terrible people, took to her new name just about straight away! I was told her previous name but it has such unhappy connotations and with her terrible experiences I could not bring myself to use it. She became Poppy because instead of using her awful name I kept saying 'Poppet' to her and then I decided on Poppy which matched the time of year as it was November. But she took to her name almost straight away!

Poppsbaggie Sat 19-Sep-20 14:38:09

My niece gave her new puppy the same name as my granddaughter. Can’t see why it should be a problem.

kircubbin2000 Sat 19-Sep-20 15:12:39

I got my new cat last night. He is a lovely tabby ,well marked . His name is the same as my son's fil.I am thinking of other names but nothing seems right.

paddyanne Sat 19-Sep-20 15:43:58

My GD's named my cats ,they're Rosie and Belle ,GD who is 11 today said "if they grow up and dont suit their names we can change them ,thats what I'm going to do when I'm 18" .She's the only girl in her school or area with her name and if anyone says it everybody knows who they mean ,unlike her cousins who all have more traditional names that are more common

Wetnosewheatie Sat 19-Sep-20 16:05:52

We have a new puppy and agonised for ages over the name. The one we chose was a girls name. On telling my pregnant colleague she was like that's the name we have chosen for our baby I love her to bits and so I changed our pups name to Nerys as she is welsh.

sodapop Sat 19-Sep-20 17:22:16

So glad your toy poodle has such a good forever home with you Tillybelle . The rescue centre changed our Yorkie x Fox terrier's name for the same reason. She had suffered dreadful injuries and has lasting ill effects but is so loving and gentle.

keriku Sat 19-Sep-20 17:22:51

I recently met a lady who proudly showed me her new grandson called (wait for it), Bracken. My sons were horrified and said, “Mum! That’s a dog’s name!” It just shows that you can never please everyone. PS my sons didn’t say this to the new granny!

Jaberwok Sat 19-Sep-20 18:08:26

My Granny had a ginger cat called Michael. Her nephew was also called Michael! Nobody apparently minded but it must have been confusing when the family came to stay!!! My mother and I lived with my grandparents on and off for about four years and when I learnt to talk cat Michael turned into Gerlamb!!! Why I called him that is a complete mystery but it stuck! Confusion over, but sadly human Michael was killed in North Africa so it didn't matter any more anyway. I think the cat was impervious to either name! He lived to be 19!

Gingster Sat 19-Sep-20 19:03:28

I wouldn’t personally name a dog who has the same name as someone I know. Especially your sons MIL. A little bit disrespectful I feel.

lovingit Sat 19-Sep-20 20:51:41

When I got my dog he was 17 months, too old to change his name I thought so he stayed Keith.
Three years on I am used to it but it does raise a smile when we are out .

Mistyfluff8 Sat 19-Sep-20 20:56:09

Our ginger rescue cat from Somerset and Dorset Pet Rescue had been named William and he so lived up to a Just WilliamHe was 1-2 when we had him and he lived to aged 18 best mouser we ever had

FarNorth Sat 19-Sep-20 21:28:59

I have never come across a dog called "Rover" or "Fido" - has anyone?

As a small child, I was very fond of a neighbour's black Labrador called Rover.

Callistemon Sat 19-Sep-20 22:31:29

Yes, years ago, a Rover, a Spot and a Rex.

Today I met one with the same name as one of my DGD.

DinaLK Mon 21-Sep-20 17:21:30

We did not realize her mother's name was the same. Just didn't think about it. We don't see them that often.