Gransnet forums

Other subjects

Worried about possible child abuse

(14 Posts)
Anniezee Wed 07-Oct-20 14:29:30

A friend is divorced and her ex used to beat her. He has remarried and has two children from that marriage. One of the adult children from the first marriage has witnessed her father physically abusing one of the young children from the second marriage. He got way with years of abuse against his then wife and two children first time round and he has obviously not changed. Any advice please? We are fearful for the child. Can you report someone to child protection services anonymously?

EllanVannin Wed 07-Oct-20 14:31:28

Yes, phone social services and explain the case.

FannyCornforth Wed 07-Oct-20 14:49:04

Yes, as above.

Parsley3 Wed 07-Oct-20 14:53:06

Yes, do this today.

Iam64 Wed 07-Oct-20 14:53:12

Yes, find the number for your Children's Services Department. It will help if your friend is prepared to give her name and former relationship as that supports the referral. The department will not pass that on. Your friend should stress she wants the matter to be treated as "an anonymous referral"

Marydoll Wed 07-Oct-20 15:58:45

If in doubt, you must report child abuse, suspected or otherwise.
There is no time to lose. I would never forgive myself is a child suffered because I dithered.

I was very much involved in child protection in my teaching job, the mantra was report, even if it is just an instinct.

BlueBelle Wed 07-Oct-20 16:55:34

Definitely agree with the other posters yes you need to report it and as soon as you can That is not acceptable
I wonder why the adult abused child hasn’t reported it themselves

coastiepostie Wed 07-Oct-20 16:58:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dogsmother Wed 07-Oct-20 16:59:18


Bibbity Wed 07-Oct-20 17:13:51

How old are the children of under 5 she can contact the HV, does she know what school they attend she can tell them, SS and NSPCC

Nortsat Wed 07-Oct-20 17:15:08

As an ex-social worker specialising in Children & Families, my advice is to call your local social services. They are well used to adults approaching them, who are unsure or trepidatious.

Alternatively the NSPCC has a helpline for adults with concerns about children. They will advise and help, too.

You have taken the first step by raising this issue here, well done. You now need to take the next step.
Good luck.

Sarahmob Wed 07-Oct-20 17:17:49

Report immediately, children’s services will investigate even if it’s just a suspicion.

Madgran77 Thu 08-Oct-20 03:41:00

Report asap to local Childrens Services. You can tell them you wish it to be anonymous.

Txquiltz Thu 08-Oct-20 04:14:41

Do not wait Call protection services. Every day that child spends in a dangerous setting robs him of his human dignity to say nothing of the mental and physical pain. This is an alarm for a concerned adult to come to his aid.