Gransnet forums

Chat

rapper

(60 Posts)
earnshaw Thu 15-Oct-20 19:03:57

is it just me thats being a little old fashioned but i can remember,, my favourite era , the 60s , and how some of the songs were banned by the BBC for certain lyrics which today would be ludicrous , but now,,,,,, the rappers lyrics, well, what can i say , how on earth do they get away with it, where are the snowflakes when you need them, my grandaughter , 13, was listening to one and then switched off saying , cant listen to that, ,,, wondering what was going on , i listened to cardi b, a rapper, have a listen and see what you think

FlexibleFriend Sun 13-Dec-20 21:50:45

I don't need to go on youtube Lucretzia to listen to Wap because I've already heard it, I'd hardly comment if I hadn't. If kids are listening to it then it's up to their parents to intervene not a bunch of granny's. My kids listened to smack my bitch up without coming to any harm or feeling the need to follow the lyrics. It was equally controversial at the time but was voted one of the greatest dance tunes ever and was accompanied by a very explicit video. Then again I talked to my kids about all sorts. Also Cardi B is only doing and "singing" about what male rappers have been doing for years, her choice.

Lucretzia Sun 13-Dec-20 22:02:58

Smack my Bitch up is hardly in the same league as WAP

I would never intervene with what children are listening to. Why on earth would I?

We used to sing along to Bad Girlfriend in the car. And F*ck You by Lily Allen

The latter is such a pretty tune

But WAP is gross. As my children say.

Harmonypuss Mon 14-Dec-20 05:29:17

I totally agree that some lyrics in today's "music" are totally inappropriate.

I grew up in the 70s/80s and I look back at when the BBC banned Frankie Goes To Hollywood's 'Relax', compared to some of the lyrics being put out there now, 'Relax' was tame.

A few posters say that these words are a product of today's society, I agree that they are but why should society encourage this? I walk down the street and hear 7 and 8yr olds swearing. When I was 18 I didn't swear, partly because I didn't hear it at home and I was brought up with the understanding that I'd be severely punished if I was heard swearing. Even now at 52, if my mother heard me say 'bloody or 'fart' she would give me a clout!

Only last week, I was in the supermarket and saw a girl of about 13 brazenly stealing by not scanning items at the self checkout and I made her aware that I'd seen what she'd done, I got a barrage of vile language (that even my children of 24 and 31 would never use in front of me and certainly not directed at me), the tamest part of which was calling me a 'dumb bitch', which isn't particularly severe but still enough to get my back up. Initially, I didn't think it was worth saying anything to the store but after the way she swore at me I grabbed a member of staff, told her what the girl had done and she caught her as she was exiting the store. We checked the CCTV which proved her dishonesty and as I was walking away (I know I should have been the adult/bigger person), I said to her 'now who's the dumb bitch?', it felt so good to rub it in!

I digress.... I think what I'm trying to say is that we know that times change and not always for the better but some of these changes shouldn't be allowed or encouraged, since when did it become ok for young children to swear at adults? In many cases these days, if you speak to the parents you'll get more of the same, so you can see where the attitude is coming from.

I'm not prefect, not by any means but I did raise my children to have morals and to respect their elders, I know that they both use bad language on occasions (as do I) but it's contextual and never used maliciously, directed at an individual.

The world needs a clean up where people's attitudes and ultimately actions are concerned!

lulusmf Mon 14-Dec-20 07:24:47

I find it ironic that the BBC are censoring The Fairytale of New York by the Pogues, wont play Baby its cold outside but are happy to plat Cardi B and others if thst ilk with sexually explicit lyrics. I know that every generation comes up with this situation, my Dad forbade me to listen to the Rolling Stones; but i cant help feeling that things are definitely off kilter these days.

Maggiemaybe Mon 14-Dec-20 08:11:28

WAP is vile. The posters blithely saying that it’s up to parents to police what their children hear seem to be totally oblivious of the abusive, dysfunctional, frightening homes that many children are trapped in. Nobody is going to protect them from this garbage.

autumnsun Mon 14-Dec-20 18:06:46

Oo Riverwalk a bit sarcastic love

autumnsun Mon 14-Dec-20 18:41:53

They maybe only words BUT words influence don't be naive it is insidous how do you think wars start etc etc words have brought us to this point!!! How much worse do you want things to get

autumnsun Sun 20-Dec-20 11:15:39

Atiqui I agree saying you don't have to listen to it doesn't really cut the mustards because the words are out there & HAVE to have some influence subconsciously or otherwise I get very cross with people who are so blasé about it all saying they are JUST WORDS because JUST WORDS can start wars

autumnsun Sun 20-Dec-20 11:17:22

Sorry repeating myself!!!