Gransnet forums

Chat

Strange Facebook friend requests

(32 Posts)
Daddima Sun 15-Nov-20 18:47:40

Since the Bodach died I have been receiving friend requests on Facebook from single men. Their profiles show only one picture, and most of them have only had posts made within the previous hour. They are usually in America. Now I did not say on my page that I am widowed, and it may be coincidence, and these are possible scammers. Has anyone else received these? I’ve attached a sample .

Nonogran Mon 26-Jul-21 09:21:50

I get them via Messenger which is a Facebook spin off.
You have to be in Messenger & then click on your profile photo. Up pops anyone trying to reach you who is not already a FB friend!
Likewise if you tap the Spam tab in Messenger, I’ve usually got a couple of entreaties from dubious men.
Doesn’t worry me …. I’m in control so delete, delete, delete. Gone!

Babs758 Mon 26-Jul-21 10:54:38

Crikey! I have just done what you suggested in Messenger and a lot of strangers cropped up….. my FB page has a lot of privacy settings so not sure how they are finding me but thanks for your helpful post!

Infinity2 Mon 26-Jul-21 10:57:24

blondenana - you’re obviously a man magnet ! They must like your photo !

I have never been on anything apart from this site. I’d be frightened of going on Facebook, and I only have three friends left and hardly any family now.

BlueBelle Mon 26-Jul-21 11:00:34

It happens to me almost daily on the word games I play, not on fb
I simply ignore
They are not Americans but sitting in a room in India/ Africa or similar using someone else’s profile picture and hoping to lull you into a friendship then start asking for favours they are patient and in for the long haul
Delete them, don’t answer and check your Fb settings you can set it so no friends of friends can have any access to your profile you may not have it quite private enough I ve been on FB about 12 /14 years and had very few because I have the privacy settings high

Babs758 Sat 31-Jul-21 11:50:49

Ah! I need to check my settings again re the “friends of friends “ bit. Thanks :-)

FarNorth Sat 31-Jul-21 13:56:24

grin
I just checked Messenger, as described, and found only one person, called Hank the Turkey.
He's now blocked.