Gransnet forums

Chat

Nasty greetings cards. I was shocked

(125 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Fri 20-Nov-20 23:28:57

Normally, when it comes to buying greetings cards I spend hours searching Clintons, Smith's, M&S and a couple of local independent card shops looking for the "right" cards. This year I have got them all on line, mostly Amazon. And, although there is generally more choice, I have been shocked and horrified by how incredibly rude and just plain nasty some of the cards I have seen are. There are cards out there that are just vile and crude. I just wonder what sort of people would buy them? Who would they buy them for? And would the recipient put them up on display? I am only a bit if a prude. And some slightly risque or double entendre cards can be funny . But these were really not nice. And it's not as if I put "rude cards" in the search box and gone looking for them. They were just in the list with the cute ones and loving ones. I could give you some examples, but I suspect admin would rule them as unacceptable! Am I more of a prude than I had realised?

Cabbie21 Sat 21-Nov-20 09:59:33

I generally prefer blank cards as words are so often trite or gushy. Even when they are ok, it leaves me with nothing to add.
I did buy a humorous one for my adult nephew once but then I wondered if it had a double entendre so I did not send it.

Psalmody Sat 21-Nov-20 09:59:56

Etsy has lovely handmade cards.

Kamiso Sat 21-Nov-20 10:00:58

Can you still get Moonpig cards? You can make up your own wording or choose from their selection.

Rmegan Sat 21-Nov-20 10:03:00

I make bespoke cards

Joesoap Sat 21-Nov-20 10:03:18

I love sending and receiving cards,I occasionally make my own.If I have to buy cards I usually go to the "Card Factory" shops, they are mainly decent cards,and have a great selection too.

Leah50 Sat 21-Nov-20 10:03:44

I'm one of the few who think cards are a waste of time & money. I'll buy £1 for 10 at the Card Factory once a year & that's it, most cards go straight in the recycling bin...as does the empty wine bottle when I've drunk the contents, which I might buy with the cash I've saved.
I DO give money to charity at Christmas & all year round & feel happier doing that than buying expensive greetings cards, whether funny or not.

Jools100 Sat 21-Nov-20 10:04:08

You're not a prude. Isn't it just a sad reflection, though, of our cynical and sometimes cruel society and the way things are going? I am very fussy about cards, and I would be offended to receive a "nasty" one when there are so many good quality ones out there. I think only a minority of people will actually purchase these awful cards, though, hopefully. There is a fine line between risqué and vulgar.

pinkjj27 Sat 21-Nov-20 10:05:02

I once worked with a woman who was sharp, cold, rude and mean. One Christmas in the office she opened a Christmas card which said “God loves “you on the front, inside it said “Everyone else thinks you’re an Ass hole”. she went white and just went home. It was vile.
After Christmas she didn’t return to work and we heard she had taken her own life. I often wondered what role that card played in her decision. I would never send anything so hurtful.
The internet is full of nasty memes, clips, cards and jokes all aimed at having fun at someone else expense. Then they wonder why metal health is at an all time low.
I say in a world where you can be anything be kind.
I make my own cards based on personal likes. People often frame them.

Frankie51 Sat 21-Nov-20 10:05:55

I think humour is an individual thing and my 18 year old grandson and his friends would probably love the crude, rude ones. Its the sort of thing they would give on birthdays to each other. He buys me humorous ones, not rude, things about granny being on the sherry etc . I have a dark sense of humour and don't mind.
I guess the card companies are trying to interest the younger generation in buying cards. I could see cards are dying out with our generation otherwise. Lots of people send ecards now. My grandson is a lovely well mannered young man, but I just know when he's out with his friends, he would love smutty humour and they insult each other all the time. It's just a phase. Can't blame the card manufacturers for catering to them. Just avert your eyes and go for the mainstream cards! ?

Jan51 Sat 21-Nov-20 10:07:57

I've done all my family christmas cards through Funky Pigeon. They are all personalised and have my own words inside. They will all be delivered straight to the recipients in the middle of december and because I did more than 4 there was a good discount so if anything they cost less than buying them in a shop and posting them myself.

pollyperkins Sat 21-Nov-20 10:09:55

Since covid and avoiding shops I’ve buying Orchard cards online. There are lots I like (some I don’t because twee etc) but I’ve never seen a rude one. Obviously you can pick the ones you like - I usually I order several at a time and the usually arrive the following day.

Bathshe Sat 21-Nov-20 10:12:13

I suppose there is a market for these cards or they wouldn't exist!

I'm not a fan but obviously some find them amusing.

Humour is relative and horses for courses I suppose.

SparklyGrandma Sat 21-Nov-20 10:15:41

Kamiso that’s lovely. I keep a box of cards from the past too, Bluebelle, seeing a card from my grandmother and reading it again, 28 years later, well.....

Nadolig Llawen!

HannahLoisLuke Sat 21-Nov-20 10:16:33

Charity Christmas cards are never rude but I agree some of the stuff in the shops is just puerile, especially cards for men.
Since lockdown I've had to buy cards online and gave bought birthday cards from Etsy, expensive but lovely.
I bought my Christmas cards from a company called Peter Pauper Press via Amazon £7.99 for twenty cards and they are lovely.
I also usually buy a pack from either the RNLI or Air Ambulance.

pollyperkins Sat 21-Nov-20 10:18:31

Ive just ordered red cross Christmas cards.

NannyG123 Sat 21-Nov-20 10:23:12

I think it all depends on the person your sending them too. I like to get funny cards, but not really rude . But I also like getting cards with lovely words. I keep a lot of my cards.

Luckygirl Sat 21-Nov-20 10:29:34

rhianjohn.com/collections/cards2
www.yardgallery.com/artists/jackie-morris - you will find Jackie Morris' work there as well as other artists

Google "galleries selling art cards" and you will find lots.

Also, the blank card company in my first post have lots of different artists marketing their cards through them.

Hope that helps Skye17.

Jillybird Sat 21-Nov-20 10:29:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Purplepoppies Sat 21-Nov-20 10:37:24

I have and do buy cards that some of you are saying you find offensive.
I normally have a competition with my stepfather to see who can send the most offensive card. We find it funny.
I also exchange cheeky/rude cards with my best friend of 44 years.
Its our humour.
I wouldn't send said cards to anyone else

henetha Sat 21-Nov-20 10:43:05

Humour is great, but not if it's downnright nasty. I stick with charity cards, at least my money is going to a good cause.

Whiff Sat 21-Nov-20 10:45:30

Lizbethann55 have a look at Green Pebble. They have the most beautiful cards. Blank inside. But I have used one of their cards and framed it for a Christmas present. Wonderful artists and don't cost the earth plus free p&p.

silverdragon Sat 21-Nov-20 10:46:08

There are some nasty cards produced which refer to current & recent news stories (missing children, sexual predators, etc). The makers think they're being witty but they're anything but. Says a lot about the people who give them to my mind.

hicaz46 Sat 21-Nov-20 10:47:43

There are some lovely cards on ‘not on the High Street’ all made by small businesses.

Happysexagenarian Sat 21-Nov-20 10:52:03

I really dislike rude or vulgar cards. I may send some of our older friends cards that joke about their age but in a humorous way, not rude or tasteless. We have a lovely independent card shop locally where I can usually find the perfect card, sadly they're closed at the moment and it's the kind of shop where distancing would be impossible. So I am making my cards this year, simple variations on one design which I can personalise for everyone, I hope they won't mind.

I have occasionally received Moonpig cards and I used them myself once, but I don't like their cards much and they're very expensive for what they are.

focused1 Sat 21-Nov-20 10:56:31

My sons would possibly buy these and I am talking Uni educated and beyond with good jobs but with fairly open liberal attitudes and with caution to only send them to close mates that would 'get them '. I stumbled on a Facebook group that posts saucy postcards - some of them years old , Mostly 'Carry on ' humour but some that were downright crude. People have varied tastes. I wouldn't send any but then again I wouldn't have some of the artwork I see when I visit a variety of clients in their homes.