Gransnet forums

Chat

Nasty greetings cards. I was shocked

(125 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Fri 20-Nov-20 23:28:57

Normally, when it comes to buying greetings cards I spend hours searching Clintons, Smith's, M&S and a couple of local independent card shops looking for the "right" cards. This year I have got them all on line, mostly Amazon. And, although there is generally more choice, I have been shocked and horrified by how incredibly rude and just plain nasty some of the cards I have seen are. There are cards out there that are just vile and crude. I just wonder what sort of people would buy them? Who would they buy them for? And would the recipient put them up on display? I am only a bit if a prude. And some slightly risque or double entendre cards can be funny . But these were really not nice. And it's not as if I put "rude cards" in the search box and gone looking for them. They were just in the list with the cute ones and loving ones. I could give you some examples, but I suspect admin would rule them as unacceptable! Am I more of a prude than I had realised?

Naninka Tue 24-Nov-20 20:55:20

I scour the charity shops. You can often pick up 6 or 7 for a fiver. All tasteful. I love cards. Have kept them from 1 year old. Am now 54.

Rosina Mon 23-Nov-20 13:09:36

We have a lovely family run card shop in our town; nothing is too much trouble, and they have cards for almost every event you can think of - and some that are quite surprising!
I noticed recently that they have an 'adult humour' section and frankly it is awful. I have a broad sense of humour, often dark, as do most of my family, but cards that rely on the 'F' word, coarse anatomical cartoons and real crudity must surely prompt a 'laugh' because of mild shock rather than humour - there doesn't seem to be any, as they are insulting, vulgar and crass. However - there is a market for them it seems.

Callistemon Sun 22-Nov-20 20:02:49

Sawsage2

A card I recently saw said 'I swear to drunk I'm not God' which I thought was very funny.

Actually, I think that's funny and my neighbour would laugh too
(He's a vicar)

mokryna Sun 22-Nov-20 19:50:34

sodapop

That's true mokryna the selection of cards here is very limited. There is a shop in Limoges which sells proper cards but of course they are quite expensive. I did buy a a couple of boxes from M&S fr.

The local shop, which is now run by people from an Eastern European country, have recently stocked a better French selection with the greetings in English! ? ( about 4 euros)

sodapop Sun 22-Nov-20 19:09:57

That's true mokryna the selection of cards here is very limited. There is a shop in Limoges which sells proper cards but of course they are quite expensive. I did buy a a couple of boxes from M&S fr.

Skye17 Sun 22-Nov-20 17:46:19

Luckygirl, thank you.

Grannycards1 Sun 22-Nov-20 17:36:01

I cant imagine what you saw do you remember where you saw them?

Sawsage2 Sun 22-Nov-20 13:50:52

A card I recently saw said 'I swear to drunk I'm not God' which I thought was very funny.

LittlemoO Sun 22-Nov-20 10:25:35

I am surprised how many of you , dont choose charity cards
all of them are struggling at the moment, and every little helps. [ shock}

mokryna Sun 22-Nov-20 09:36:35

In France it is not the tradition like in England, most people don’t send cards neither for birthday nor Christmas. The selection in the shops is dismal so I can understand, there are no card shops. I stock up while in England. I was the crazy woman, who in mid summer was asking to see the Christmas cards, now I can shop on line.

I have kept all my family’s cards and the grandchildren love looking at them. I don’t like email ones I can’t put them up or look through at a later date.

On the bereavement of my son-in-law’s mother, my DD insisted that I sent a text message to him, which I did under protest, but I also sent a card with a personal message.

Elizabeth1 Sun 22-Nov-20 08:15:56

Think I’ll give cards a miss this year I’ve spent a horrendous amount on presents sending them to family and getting great pleasure from doing that except my dh says if i send any more I’ll be in deep trouble with him. Think I’ll stop now the family will gave received their Christmas boxes by now. Justhope they like what I’ve bought them. Pandora was top of my lust this year has anyone else gone about Christmas like this I’d like to hear. Perhaps it’s due to my personal predicament confused

Tweedle24 Sun 22-Nov-20 08:15:50

Why not get a plain card for your own message?

TerriBull Sun 22-Nov-20 07:56:45

I don't like religious imagery coupled with foul language, which I've seen whilst, browsing the cards in one well known chain. Example, picture of Jesus on the front with the message "Jesus loves everyone, except you, you ^^" How was that deemed acceptable angry

PamelaJ1 Sun 22-Nov-20 07:52:33

We do tend to send funny cards in our family but “all in the best possible taste” I hope.
I hope that those who buy those horrible ones have judged their recipient well, unlike that horrible story up thread.
Here is a photo of my cards from my sisters last year. They all live a long way from each other and bought them in a shop not online.
I send lots of cards online with Blue Mountain now.

welbeck Sun 22-Nov-20 03:12:09

crudity and bad language seems to be more widely accepted nowadays.
i am puzzled and repelled by the constant gratuitous use of filthy language on MN. considering most of them are young mums, often well educated professionals, middle-class, with so many advantages, i find it worrying. maybe it's a kind of arrogance ?

Gumtree Sun 22-Nov-20 00:20:44

I totally agree with Lizbethann55 about the horrible insulting cards that are out there in the shops. I mean the ones that show oldies naked cycling on bikes etc.
If we saw thirty somethings doing the same things it wouldn’t be quite so bad but no - its only the older generation that gets targeted. I think it’s HIGH TIME that there was a law banning it!

anita28 Sat 21-Nov-20 23:41:46

I don't like rude or nasty myself regardless of how funny they are so I may be a little prudish. But, what I really love is making my own cards. The cheap shops have a large selection of white and coloured blank cards with envelopes so that's easy, or sometimes I buy a sheet of card and cut my own sizes. You can recycle pretty pictures off cards you have received in previous years, or draw/trace a cute little picture, of which there are so many on the internet and in craft books. Colour them in with gel pens, felt pens or light washes of paint. Add some bling with stickers, embellishments and fake diamantes also available from craft or cheap stores.
Google handmade greeting cards for ideas and sometimes even instructions.
Besides all the love you put into these cards I find that most people appreciate that personal touch.

NotTooOld Sat 21-Nov-20 22:51:18

Agree with the OP. I thought I was unshockable but I too have seen some really vile cards and I mean 'vile' not just rude. I have seen them in shops as well as on the internet. I suppose someone must buy them.

sharon103 Sat 21-Nov-20 22:15:19

I've thought that for a long time. Lizbethann55 especially on
ebay. You can't help but see them.
I'm young at heart and like a laugh and do send funny cards about age etc but these are way over the top and I'm surprised they're allowed to sell them. They should be put in a category for anyone who does want to buy them.

Callistemon Sat 21-Nov-20 19:46:42

I like funny cards but some are just coarse.

Jeanebean Sat 21-Nov-20 19:25:19

Yes I’ve seen them
People think they funny but I don’t usually , depends on the joke
Oxfam do beautiful cards and they have a website if on lockdown ,,

earnshaw Sat 21-Nov-20 18:52:47

i have seen similar cards in small shops and agree that some are a bit too near the knuckle. there are some really funny cards out there and its knowing where to draw the line

moggie57 Sat 21-Nov-20 18:40:11

My brother always sends a slightly rude but funny birthday card .I seen some in a store that name me cringe.maybe some people got a warped sense of humour

Grandmama Sat 21-Nov-20 17:56:36

So many 'funny' greetings cards are about women and drink.

jean4a1 Sat 21-Nov-20 17:41:36

I bought mine from air ambulance, never know when you are going to need them!