Gransnet forums

Chat

Family emigrating

(79 Posts)
NannyKat Thu 03-Dec-20 13:01:55

My son, his wife and 2 children have decided to move to Australia and I am devastated. I have waited a long time for my grandchildren to come along, and they are the biggest joy in my life. Now they are going away and I am just not coping very well with this. I am usually the rock in my family, I am strong and can deal with anything thrown my way. I am the supporter and advice giver, but this situation is just making me turn to mush.
I know I have to let go, but their is more to the story than my son going for a new adventure in life. He lived in Australia before and it went very very wrong for him. He came home a broken man. We loved and nurtured him for a couple of years, back to the wonderful strong man he is today... but now he wants to go there again. Please share some thoughts with me. Even if the advise is brutal, anything will help.
Love NannyKat

Fecklar Fri 04-Dec-20 10:58:58

He obviously hasn't learned from his last experience there and gawd knows why he's going back and this time dragging his family over there too. I'm really sorry but I would feel the same if my small family did the same to Denmark.

Madwoman11 Fri 04-Dec-20 11:00:12

Oh lovey I can fully sympathise. Several years ago my daughter, husband and their 2 children were going to do the same, and I was beside myself. I was asked to go too, but for various reasons it really wasn't for me,
Thankfully Australia had closed it's doors for a while so to speak, and they have never wanted to reapply. I hope things get easier for you in time flowers

Willow500 Fri 04-Dec-20 11:05:11

I do sympathise with you especially if your son has had some issues before living in Australia but hopefully now he is happily settled with a new wife and children he will be fine.

From your perspective though it's devastating. We went through it 7 years ago when our youngest son emigrated to NZ when his wife was pregnant with their first child. She was from there and her family were all there so it didn't really come as a surprise but that didn't make it any easier. I spent several months before they went crying quietly to myself. The week before they left they spent with us and we had days out together and a big family get together for everyone to say goodbye (so sad that's not possible at the moment). It was heartbreaking but actually I think the build up was far worse than when they had actually gone. You get used to it and with so many great ways to communicate now you will be able to talk to your grandchildren. You have the advantage of your GD already knowing you and being close so that bond will remain as she grows.

kazziecookie Fri 04-Dec-20 11:09:42

I am in the U.K. and my two adult daughters (36 and 34) are in Australia. The youngest is 6 days overdue with my first grandchild. I miss them terribly and wish I could be with them. I was never sure if I was actually going to be a grandparent and now I am, I feel sad that I will be a long distance one.
The eldest will come back to the U.K. sometime next year but the youngest intends to stay for good as she absolutely loves Australia and wants to bring up her child there.
I think it must be even harder if you have got used to your grandchildren being closer and then deciding to emigrate.

EllanVannin Fri 04-Dec-20 11:10:26

I know the feeling well. The advantage I had was that there were no GC to fret over at the time because D and SiL emigrated a year after they married, but I still missed them dreadfully and took a trip to Sydney 2 years after they married just to settle my mind that everything was alright. I was in a dreadful state at times I can tell you. They live in the suburbs of Sydney near a beach or two. Fabulous life.

As soon as GC came along a couple of years later, I was a regular visitor making sure that the children would know me and I used to get a 3 month visa each time.
Get as many trips in as you physically/ financially can. I enjoyed every minute so make the most of it as I couldn't do it now, healthwise.

red1 Fri 04-Dec-20 11:15:21

its very difficult when a family member emigrates ,wherever they go, they are not down the road.My son and family moved to ireland 3 years ago, I went through a grieving process, arriving at visiting them several times a year.Initially i wanted to follow them, but im glad i didn't as my thinking was not at all straight! It is like an ache that never goes away. Ive decided to move near them in the new year, but that leaves me leaving a son and friends here! There is a pain involved when people go away, You have the added knowledge that he tried it before and he came back, this must add to your worries.A lot of people will talk of cutting apron strings, we don't own our children etc etc but the fact is if you have love for someone .then losing them hurts.Yes we have skype etc but it aint the same.
my heart goes out to you.

hulahoop Fri 04-Dec-20 11:20:58

I would be like you so my heart goes out to you..

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 04-Dec-20 11:51:40

Any chance you could go too?

Florida12 Fri 04-Dec-20 12:16:14

NannyKat give yourself a pat on the back, you have raised a confident and independent son. You definitely are going to miss your grandchildren, no doubt about that, but they are not your children. You have waited a long time for them, I should imagine your son and DIL have too and they just want a better lifestyle.
There are many options and lots of realistic suggestions in above comments. Sending you big hugs.xx

grandMattie Fri 04-Dec-20 12:16:21

Oh, Kat, how very sad for you. I can empathise with the difficulties your son went through. It becomes part of everyday life aching to make things better. When the AC decides to go, the only thing is to be cheerful about it even if you are crying rivers inside. That way there is as little guilt for them as possible.

Jillybird Fri 04-Dec-20 12:16:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NannyKat Fri 04-Dec-20 12:20:09

So many lovely supporting messages. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with me. It makes it just that little bit easier.
I am saying goodbye with a smile on my face but with a massive hole in my heart. I do wish them well and would never be selfish to stand in their way. But like you all know, it causes a pain that is not easy to be rid of.
So glad I shared all this and for all you lovely kind people who have commented.

Patticake123 Fri 04-Dec-20 12:23:18

Oh NannyKat I absolutely understand your hurt. My son and family live a bit nearer, USA but it’s still too far to pop around. For what it’s worth from our experience, we FaceTime regularly, we text frequently and in normal times we visit every year. I keep him and my grandchildren in a special place in my head in order to stay sane. Right now as I write this, I miss them all dreadfully but most of the time I can cope, knowing they are all happy with the life they have chosen. Best wishes to you.? PS Avoid the stupid people who will say to you ‘ never mind, it’s a lovely place to go for a holiday ‘. I want to scream at them!

123kitty Fri 04-Dec-20 12:32:16

So sorry for you. My solution might sound 'new age hippy dippy' but when you are really low surely anything is worth trying. Write yourself a note, maybe 'My family are so lucky to have this great opportunity, my grandchildren will be living such a healthy lifestyle, which will be so good for them. I can't wait to visit them all'. This may be the opposite of how you feel, but read it as often as you can, especially when you are really low, maybe at night. You've got to convince yourself using as positive approach as possible. Good luck

Callistemon Fri 04-Dec-20 12:40:39

PS Avoid the stupid people who will say to you ‘ never mind, it’s a lovely place to go for a holiday ‘. I want to scream at them!
But it is! although not at the moment.

I hope, Nannykat that you may come to regard Australia as your second home and that your husband will change his mind and go with you for extended stays.

Joesoap Fri 04-Dec-20 12:41:32

My heart goes out to you.I have a slightly similar situation, my Daughter and her family are supposed to be moving to China! for three years,it has been postponed so many times they still dont know when they are going or if at all. I am secretly hoping they will not go.I am eighty next year and dont think I would fancy travelling to China,but I hope they will come home regularly,I will miss them all.Good Luck with your dilemma,sending hugs

Mamma7 Fri 04-Dec-20 12:44:22

I would be devastated too and at the risk of being shot down by some of the others I am going to say.....can’t you persuade them to stay? Do they realise the enormity of their decision? I think when you’re young you just don’t always understand the implications of huge decisions. I really feel for you.

Callistemon Fri 04-Dec-20 12:47:26

can’t you persuade them to stay? Do they realise the enormity of their decision? I think when you’re young you just don’t always understand the implications of huge decisions. I really feel for you.

That could end up with a worse situation with the young family resenting the parents.
I'm shocked that anyone would want to prevent their DC trying to forge a better life for themselves.

Alexa Fri 04-Dec-20 12:51:33

NannyKat, much depends on whether or not you can afford to emigrate to Austraia too, and live where they live.And be prepared to move house again.

I could not do so as am too old at nearly 90, and could not afford to anyway.

When dear ones are far away, can still write and Zoom and stuff. Your loved ones will still be yours however far away they are.

QuiltyElaine Fri 04-Dec-20 13:26:10

Hi NannyKat

I am coming at this from the other side so to speak, we left Scotland more than 20 years ago with our two young boys when they were 5 & 7. My parents were devastated, but it was the best decision for us as a family at the time. I had a very difficult relationship with my parents involving depression and prescription drugs (her) and alcohol (him) It was a toxic situation for me, as I was expected to look after them as well as my own family. My father is now dead, and I think my relationship with my mother is now the best it could be. I know your situation is different, I'm just saying that maybe it will be good for your son and his family? We are now settled in Surrey and my boys have grown up and turned into lovely young men. Having said all of that I have just become a Grandmother and I know that I too would miss them terribly if they left! FaceTime etc is not perfect but it's better than airmail letters smile and I would definitely be planning my first visit over so you have something to look forward to and soften the blow. Sending you virtual hugs x

Missee Fri 04-Dec-20 13:52:08

My DD left for Australia 17 years ago whilst pregnant with my 1st GC. They're like butterflies, you have to let them go. I have 3 GC there now and visit every other year. I was alone when she left as I am now. It was the best thing for her. I have always supported her decision. I'm hoping to emigrate in 3 years to Tasmania where they now live, not for them but for a better life for me. I will be leaving a DS and 2 GC behind but I have to do what's best for me.
Wish them well and shed a tear when they have gone, which I have done many times.
Go as much as you can, alone if you have to. I always go alone.
My DD and I are closer now than then.

leeds22 Fri 04-Dec-20 13:52:40

One of our son's plans to move to Oz when he retires at 55 We are getting to the age that a flight to Australia will be too much, so not sure we will ever see him again. His wife is from there, so it's been on the cards for a long time, just hope it doesn't happen.

PamelaJ1 Fri 04-Dec-20 14:07:58

Callistemon

^PS Avoid the stupid people who will say to you ‘ never mind, it’s a lovely place to go for a holiday ‘. I want to scream at them!^
But it is! although not at the moment.

I hope, Nannykat that you may come to regard Australia as your second home and that your husband will change his mind and go with you for extended stays.

?? The trouble is you can’t go anywhere else can you? Much easier to pop to Sussex for a few days.
By the time you’ve paid for the flight and stopped off on the way, plus spending a bit of time away to give son in law some space it costs quite a lot.
We don’t stop so much now and we are so lucky, we can stay in a holiday home, to give them a break, just down the coast from Sydney so that’s free for us.
Maybe those of us who have family in Sydney should club together and buy a flat.
No, that wouldn’t work .... we’d all want it at the same time!
You can’t really have a dog either. Who would look after it for a couple of months? That’s what my husband keeps saying anyway.?

Nanananana1 Fri 04-Dec-20 14:20:56

Be brave, you know the right thing to do is to support his decision and wish him well. It is his turn now to live life as he chooses. On the bright side (!) I found that when my son lived in China, Thailand, and various other countries we had the best rapport we have had for years. Sending photos, texts and having video calls keeps you close these days and you will always be there for him. Obviously not seeing your GC will be a blow but I watched a video the other day of a Grandma reading a bedtime story -_every night_ to her grandson and he lived in New Zealand! These days the whole planet is our children's 'global village', so if you can, embrace their new adventure and join in with their excitement. He needs your backing believe me

honeyrose Fri 04-Dec-20 14:28:32

Nannykat, I do feel a lot of empathy for you. My emotions would be all over the place if my DD, SIL
& GC were to emigrate. I know I would try not to show it, but I’m not a very good actress! Whilst wishing them well, I would miss them terribly, but at the same time realise that I have to accept it (as I’m sure you will do). There’s nothing wrong in you having those strong feelings, you’re a mother and grandmother after all, but I know you wish them well and will trust that they will have a wonderful lifestyle in Oz. Your DS obviously has a strong desire to want to live there again, and is putting his previous bad experience to one side. My DD almost emigrated about 11 years ago after she fell in love with an Australian whilst travelling over there, but that relationship fell apart before she made any firm plans and she stayed here, met someone else, married and had my beautiful GC. I therefore understand just a little of what you’re going through. Very best wishes to you all. Plan a visit as soon as is practical and work on your DH to go along too! Sending love. flowers