Gransnet forums

Chat

The Disunited Kingdom

(76 Posts)
Alexa Fri 01-Jan-21 12:54:17

I wonder how long it will be before Scotland becomes an independent European country, and Northern Ireland becomes a part of European united Ireland.

When these events happen, if not before, some of the people who voted for Brexit will be sorry lonely England is not united any more.

Lucca Fri 01-Jan-21 12:57:47

They’ll be along in a minute to say they won’t,( with much whooping and clinking of glasses.)

Namsnanny Fri 01-Jan-21 13:00:59

I wonder what the point of this thread is?
Hard to answer such a vague statement.

Blossoming Fri 01-Jan-21 13:01:13

About 2 years. There’s a lot of financial start to sort out.

Blossoming Fri 01-Jan-21 13:01:43

Stuff, not start.

Pantglas2 Fri 01-Jan-21 13:03:43

Would Scotland give up the pound and be in a financial position to adopt the euro or would that be another Greek debacle?

Kandinsky Fri 01-Jan-21 13:18:17

Scotland will not be an ‘independent’ country if they’re in the EU because they’ll have to abide by their rules.
But then Scotland don’t care who ‘rules’ them as long as it’s not the English.
I’d be quite happy for them if they voted to leave the UK. If that’s what the majority want then off you go pal.

Alexa Fri 01-Jan-21 13:26:17

Mind and get your passport then, Kandinsky.

I , same as other Scots, feel for England . I come from Galashiels where the annual ceremony lovingly commemorates the Union of the Crowns You don't know your facts.

Kandinsky Fri 01-Jan-21 13:35:45

I know that almost 45% of Scottish voters voted for independence in your last referendum - that’s quite a lot of people who’d be happy to leave the UK.
That’s all we need to know.

Smileless2012 Fri 01-Jan-21 13:42:02

I wont be sorry, if that's what the people of Scotland and Ireland want then good luck to them. I do hope though that those who don't get what they vote for will be dignified in accepting defeat.

NotSpaghetti Fri 01-Jan-21 13:44:51

I think Scotland and Northern Ireland are already looking at how they would work without England.
Wales, I think, would struggle financially but I expect lots of welsh people would prefer independence.

How long it will take, you wonder... I guess somewhere between a decade and a generation.

Jane10 Fri 01-Jan-21 13:46:52

In Scotland its a matter of heart over head for separatists.

Alexa Fri 01-Jan-21 14:00:35

"I do hope though that those who don't get what they vote for will be dignified in accepting defeat.2

Why so? What are you afraid of, Smileless ?

Smileless2012 Fri 01-Jan-21 14:02:33

I'm not afraid of anything Alexa; what a strange thing to ask!!!

Alexa Fri 01-Jan-21 14:07:48

Oh sorry Smileless. I thought you were referring to the Remainers who lost the Referendum majority.

Nezumi65 Fri 01-Jan-21 14:32:27

I was worried about unrest in Northern Ireland (it wouldn’t go peacefully at the moment, and Brexit has really stuffed up the careful balance that produced peace) but then I read an article this morning in the Irish Times which said that the various Parties at Stormont have all come together in agreement about sorting out the mess Johnson has landed them in which really cheered me up.

Scotland will certainly try hard to leave now. Given the current govt and Brexit I suspect numbers supporting independence have increased.

NotSpaghetti Fri 01-Jan-21 19:33:26

That's good news Nezumi65 - I had been thinking that Brexit seems to have had a very negative impact on the peace there - on the island of Ireland.

Urmstongran Fri 01-Jan-21 19:41:46

Just spent the afternoon with my Scottish stepfather. He is 88y old. In his opinion, Nicola Sturgeon is considered a good communicator and her unchallenged SNP ‘party political broadcast’ every day is giving her a great platform.

However, in his opinion (for what it’s worth) he said leaving the EU was one thing but voting to leave the UK? It would never happen. Different allegiances entirely.

I said but what about the polls? He said ‘you don’t set store by them do you?’. In a referendum, in the privacy of a ballot box, Scotland will remain part of the UK. In his opinion.

He said he laughed when one of NS colleagues wished her a happy Christmas in Gaelic and she couldn’t even give a greeting back! It flummoxed her completely!

After that his conversation moved on to the fact that the Sunday Post newspaper has put up its price by 10p to £2.10 from this week without due announcement .

He was shocked I tell you, shocked!
?

Nezumi65 Fri 01-Jan-21 19:42:42

It adds a pressure for sure, but for the moment it seems they’re united in the dreadfulness of Westminster. Tories shafting the DUP has some benefits. grin

Urmstongran Fri 01-Jan-21 19:49:10

He brought me a bag of ‘Buchanan’s of Scotland’ chocolate dipped fudge, confectioners since 1856. I’ve just opened them - yum!

Lucca Fri 01-Jan-21 20:35:36

“Nicola Sturgeon is considered a good communicator and her unchallenged SNP ‘party political broadcast’ every day is giving her a great platform.”
Funny that, I thought it was briefing about Covid.

Marydoll Fri 01-Jan-21 20:39:38

Urmstongran, that's not fair! It's out of stock here!!! sad

They used to be called. Chocolate Italian Creams.

Marydoll Fri 01-Jan-21 20:41:35

She doesn't make a daily party political broadcast, it's a Covid update. and I'm not an SNP supporter, by the way.
I must be watching the wrong channel!

petra Fri 01-Jan-21 20:54:44

Pantglas
They would have to adopt the euro if they joined. That's now an eu ruling.
I'm wondering more on how they are going to support themselves. Oil is now as cheap as chips. What if the Royle Navy were to move their shipyards to down south as they probably will as Scotland would become a 'foreign' country.
I want our nuclear subs in our country ?

paddyanne Fri 01-Jan-21 21:20:26

C'mon surely you know that the two unions are very different? WM has over 80% control of Scotland while the EU had only 5% .
Westminster takes @£570 Million A WEEK from Scottish revenue and we dont get democracy never mind a veto or a chance at the top job as the EU offers .
MEP's in Brussels were never derided and scorned and told to F OFF back to Skye in ...elected MP's constantly are in WM .
The EU doesn't dump old Nukes in our waters ,nor has it changed their border to include ours ...see the changes made by Blair and Donald Dewae prior to Devolution .it would appear ENGLISH waters now extend to St Andrews!! We dont have to PAY to add power to the EU grid we do with the UK one and yet people in the north of Scotland pay higher rates for power than the south of England .
We haven't returned a Tory government since 1955 .that is NINETEEN FIFTY FIVE ..yet have been landed with them for over half that time .

Really I can understand some of the southerners on here who dont know the facts it irritates me beyond reason that there are Scots who still believe the "Better together" lies .
Scotland/s GDP is higher than Englands,it will be above England in the wealth charts ..from day one of Independence and thats not counting the FACT that we own 8-10% of EVERYTHING in the UK simply because we 've PAID for it over centuries.
As a wee reference see India ...according to WM they run a deficit every year under WM rule ...sound familiar? In reality England bled then dry to the tune of £45 TRILLION .
SCOTLAND will flourish in or out of the EU ...but it should be OUR decision not WM's .

For the record AGAIN .I dont hate English people just the Westminster system .We were dragged into it without any say and we' want out of it.