Gransnet forums

Chat

The Disunited Kingdom

(77 Posts)
Alexa Fri 01-Jan-21 12:54:17

I wonder how long it will be before Scotland becomes an independent European country, and Northern Ireland becomes a part of European united Ireland.

When these events happen, if not before, some of the people who voted for Brexit will be sorry lonely England is not united any more.

Alegrias1 Thu 21-Jan-21 09:23:03

nanna8 - 1707 was the union of parliaments, 1603 was the union of the crowns. So only 300 years, not 400.

And before that there had been a Franco-Scottish Alliance since 1295. 400 years. So old alliances can be dissolved. smile

nanna8 Thu 21-Jan-21 09:08:37

It is hard really if you don’t agree with the government and it also affects you personally. I tend to think along the lines of United we stand, Divided we fall but that is probably an over simplification. You’d be going back to about 1603 if Scotland seceded , could cause a lot of problems especially with a possible Franco-Scottish alliance. Ah well, time will tell.

David0205 Sat 02-Jan-21 20:05:57

Jane10

I gather that Shetland is so fed up with the inept SNP government that they were exploring the possibility of adopting the same status as the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

The Shetlands as a tax haven, now there’s a thought.

Jane10 Sat 02-Jan-21 18:00:25

I gather that Shetland is so fed up with the inept SNP government that they were exploring the possibility of adopting the same status as the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

Rosie51 Sat 02-Jan-21 17:22:37

I wonder, if Scotland does vote for independence at some point in the future, how it would be handled should the Shetland Islands decide they wish to remain part of the UK. I remember some years back when this was mooted that the SNP was reported to be against this.

For what it's worth I prefer a United Kingdom with its four nations.

lemongrove Sat 02-Jan-21 13:13:27

Small countries with tiny populations carry no clout within the EU and cannot do the things that the UK used to do when they didn’t want the euro etc.As long as Scotland realises that when Brussels says ‘jump’ their only answer would be ‘how high?’
If there is another referendum in a couple of years (probably
That would be the very earliest) there is no guarantee that there would be a majority then for leaving the Union.
N.I could take another average lifetime to become united with the South, and Wales and England are too integrated now to split apart.

Blossoming Sat 02-Jan-21 13:12:21

This is a very difficult situation for me. I’m of Scots, English, Welsh, Irish and French descent. The biggest chunk is Scots. I have family right across the UK. I have mainly lived and worked in England and abroad but up until 2020 I spent a lot of time in Scotland and it always feels like ‘home’.

I feel British and would be upset to see the breakup of the UK.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 02-Jan-21 13:03:31

There seems little reason to doubt that Scotland would be better off without England, The population in 2019 was over five million, which is about the same as Denmark, and we manage very well on our own, as members of the EU.

Norway has a similar population, but are not members of EU. Food prices are startlingly high there, so be warned, United Kingdom or not.

N. Ireland is a rather different kettle of fish. I doubt if Ulster will ever join the republic, but who knows.

Marydoll Sat 02-Jan-21 12:56:34

Thanks for clarifying what you meant Firecracker, it wasn't clear.

Firecracker123 Sat 02-Jan-21 12:53:30

I posted about Scotland being the drug capital of Europe to highlight that perhaps Sturgeon and Ian Blackford should concentrate on tackling this drug problem amongst other things rather than trying to break up the union.

Marydoll Sat 02-Jan-21 12:33:00

Lucca, I did wonder what that post is about.

It is shameful and was all over the news. However, it does not define what Scotland is. There is so much to be proud of.

Lucca Sat 02-Jan-21 11:51:45

Firecracker123

I don't want the United Kingdom to break up from Scotland, NI or Wales and I've never posted that I do.

Apologies then. I could only assume that’s what your post about drug deaths in Scotland was about.

Alexa Sat 02-Jan-21 11:20:33

Thanks to Granny 23 for her heads-up about the relevant facts.

Firecracker123 Sat 02-Jan-21 11:16:13

I don't want the United Kingdom to break up from Scotland, NI or Wales and I've never posted that I do.

Callistemon Sat 02-Jan-21 11:09:15

When these events happen, if not before, some of the people who voted for Brexit will be sorry lonely England is not united any more.

They will still have us
We'll keep a welcome
Preferably not at the moment, though.
???????

Lucca Sat 02-Jan-21 11:04:27

Urmstongran

Marydoll

Lemongrove ?
I was a bit disconcerted to read that some posters would be glad to see us leave the UK.

First post in, from Lucca who asserts those who voted for Brexit would be happy to see the break up of the Union was so WRONG Marydoll. That kind of post just fuels the fire.

Quizqueen. Firecracker.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 02-Jan-21 10:58:19

Some Scots I know vow they will move from Scotland if it gets its independence!

Urmstongran Sat 02-Jan-21 10:56:11

Marydoll

Lemongrove ?
I was a bit disconcerted to read that some posters would be glad to see us leave the UK.

First post in, from Lucca who asserts those who voted for Brexit would be happy to see the break up of the Union was so WRONG Marydoll. That kind of post just fuels the fire.

Iam64 Sat 02-Jan-21 08:57:15

I'd be sorry to see the UK break up but not surprised. I understand the Scottish irritation with government by a load of mainly posh ex public school English men. I'm in the north west and feel much the same.
The nonsense about borders between the north and south of Ireland compounds the feelings of division.

I still feel European and English. there we go.

Firecracker123 Sat 02-Jan-21 08:56:08

15th December 2020
Scotland is drug death capital of the world.

I and my Scottish colleagues, often pick our way through discarded needles and excrement in places people are forced to inject as they try to escape from misery and suffering.

Sound grim? It’s not as depressing as picking through Scotland’s drug death statistics for a sixth horrific record breaking year. In 2019 there were 1264 families bereaved by a drug death. That’s 23 per 100,000 people, making Scotland the drug death capital of the world - a dark crown no country wants.

Copied from Scottish Newspaper

David0205 Sat 02-Jan-21 08:42:50

Scotland may well get independence but will not get EU membership with England outside, if England rejoined the EEA then it would be practical for Scotland to separate as an EEA member
Wether Scots would be better off is entirely different, doesn’t bother me either way.

Cheesey Sat 02-Jan-21 00:02:03

I don't post often but have to come on here to say my husband and I would be extremely upset if Scotland were to leave the UK.
We live in the North West of England and have gone on holiday to Scotland every year for over 30 years.
We love Scotland and feel far more affinity with the Scottish people than people living in the south if England to be honest.
Our retirement plans are to spend as much time there as possible and we will do that as long as we feel welcome.
Scotland is an extremely beautiful country and the majority of people we meet are lovely and very welcoming.
Even all together we are a small island and I think division would be a great shame.

Marydoll Fri 01-Jan-21 23:36:49

Lemongrove ?

Lucretzia Fri 01-Jan-21 23:34:48

I'd not like to see a split either, Urmstongran

My Scottish father would have been devastated.

And I agree, lemongrove

Marydoll Fri 01-Jan-21 23:33:51

I spent a week in Lyons many years ago, refreshing my language skills. There were teachers from all over Europe and we were supposed to speak French 24/7
My Scottish colleague and I used to catch up in the lift, speaking English in our Glasgow accents and switch immediately to French when the lift doors opened.
It wasn't easy I can assure you!.

There is a Gaelic school in Glasgow, where the curriculum is taught through the Gaelic medium.
There are more applicants than available places.