Gransnet forums

Chat

If I was you I'd ....

(99 Posts)
senryu Mon 18-Jan-21 09:58:41

What's the strangest or most ridiculous advice you've been given?

welbeck Fri 22-Jan-21 23:42:11

from the mother of a girl i was at school with :
marry a rich man, you might as well be miserable in luxury.

welbeck Fri 22-Jan-21 23:30:44

BBbevan

My mother told me never to show a man my shoulders !!!!
Nothing about any other bits of me.

I have posted this before, some time ago though.

ah, so that's what those matinee jackets are for !
to preserve one's modesty on honeymoon...
because if a man ever sees your shoulders, he won't respect you.

M0nica Fri 22-Jan-21 22:00:14

Luckylegs I had a simialr experience. The year before and after my marriage was quite stressful, nothing to do with getting married, that was the bit that kept me going, but I went to the doctor several times with tummy upsets, my GPs response every time was that I should have baby.

We were impecunious and desperately saving every penny I earned to be able to buy a house, a pregnancy then was something we wanted to avoid.

Mind you this was the GP who also, as well as this advice, prescribed something he described as a 'tonic' . I assumed it contained vitamins and minerals. It did nothing for me, might as well have been a bottle of cod-liver oil.

It was some years later that I discovered that it was actually the highly addictive tranquilizer, benzodiazepine. Over a year he prescribed it for me 3 times. I still do not understand how I failed to respond to it in any way.

moggie57 Wed 20-Jan-21 20:16:36

My urgent ear appointment is in July. Dr told me or you can cure it yourself

grannyqueenie Wed 20-Jan-21 18:48:09

When we announced no 5 was on the way my mother said “oh no not another one, what were you thinking! ”, father in law said “Do you not think you’ve got enough?” Brother in law “have you 2 not worked outs what’s causing this yet?”

Melon54 Wed 20-Jan-21 16:36:31

annifrance Best inform your parents that you will be choosing their care home

GagaJo Wed 20-Jan-21 08:33:47

Never wear shiny shoes because your knickers would be reflected for men to see! No need to worry now, they can upskirt with a mobile phone!

Laughterlines Wed 20-Jan-21 08:22:34

My doctor told me to “put a plaster on it” when I pointed out a cancerous looking spot on my leg. Ten minutes later the nurse who was doing my annual blood test noticed it and called the same doctor to have a look. His reaction was to send me for urgent appointment at skin clinic. I had surgery next day. I also changed my doctor.

Dottynan Wed 20-Jan-21 08:04:28

40 years ago, always buy your children's shoes from the jumble sale

SewnSew Tue 19-Jan-21 20:30:02

Never wear shiny shoes because your knickers would be reflected for men to see! Also, always undress under your nightie. Nuns at a convent school!

jocork Tue 19-Jan-21 19:47:04

BigBertha1

It was my mother.

My mother seemed to think it was ok to make disparaging remarks about my weight, even doing it in front of others. I tried to explain that being a 'comfort eater' her remarks sent me straight to the biscuit tin. I've actually lost quite a lot of weight since she died, though some was due to changes in my medication.

blueberry1 Tue 19-Jan-21 19:11:17

When I was a teenager, a visiting friend of my father told me I was very pretty so why didn't I lose some weight?
Years later a would-be boyfriend told me never to say sorry because it's a sign of weakness. Never did get boyfriend or even friend status.

Grandma11 Tue 19-Jan-21 18:27:36

My Late father could be very hurtful at times telling me that other people he knew had got a much better figure than me, and it was about time that I did something about it! He even said this to me after I had just given birth to my next youngest Daughter and was recovering from a C-section and finding it difficult to walk far, and was still in hospital. This went on for many years, I developed the perfect reply to him, ' it's not a daughter that you want or deserve, it's a lump of Modeling clay, because at least then you could not damage it's feelings, make it feel worthless and depressed, and no amount of your dragons fire mouth could ever damage it! I wasn't afraid of saying it either, no matter who of his snobbish friends heard it, I learned to give as good as I got!

kathw12 Tue 19-Jan-21 18:12:00

My mother would say ‘two legs in one knicker hole’ when I was going out before I married! I think u can guess what she was getting at! Sadly it worked too well and the first 5 yrs of my marriage weren’t good x

May7 Tue 19-Jan-21 18:03:56

Pharmacist at local chemist in the early 70s, Tampax is only for married women

winterwhite Tue 19-Jan-21 17:40:41

'Your school days are the best days of your life.'

I told all my now ACs when they were struggling for some reason that nothing again would ever be as bad as school.

TheMaggiejane1 Tue 19-Jan-21 17:15:13

My mother told me to stop talking to my week old son because ‘ he can’t understand a word you’re saying, you know’. I didn’t, obviously, but I do remember thinking, when he was about 3 or so that, just for a few minutes, I wish he’d stop talking to me!

Ro60 Tue 19-Jan-21 16:59:20

And DM the opposite of AGA: ' why don't you study for a degree? 'what with doing jobs for her, helping DD and working lol!

Ro60 Tue 19-Jan-21 16:55:58

DD throw out that settee in your second living room then I'll have less to do when you're gone! I was a healthy 58!

Eviebeanz Tue 19-Jan-21 16:51:19

... "whatever else you do keep your coat on" - from mum...

Snowbell Tue 19-Jan-21 16:41:38

A long time ago my MIL said "don't put artex on your walls". I being young and foolish ignored her and always regretted it. If only she'd said "put artex on your walls" I would have ignored her and saved a lot of hassle!

AGAA4 Tue 19-Jan-21 16:37:42

My mum " you can't possibly want to do a training course at your age, ridiculous!" I was 44 at the time.

Tiker47 Tue 19-Jan-21 16:33:39

To vote Tory, or was it Labour?

GrauntyHelen Tue 19-Jan-21 16:23:40

You should be passed all that now (having a sex life) at age 50 My mother may have been I wasn't and I'm still not nor is my 75 year-old husband

Jaffacake2 Tue 19-Jan-21 16:02:22

"Looking good. Keep on with the diet " From a colleague at work.
" It's anaphylaxis "
" Haven't heard of that one . Is it online ? "
Worry because she worked for a GPs surgery !!