Gransnet forums

Chat

Annoying name shortening trend

(108 Posts)
PollyDolly Tue 19-Jan-21 07:44:01

Where did this trend of shortening first names come from? I don't mean Peter to Pete or Susan to Sue, but the rediculous shortening of Abi or Abigail to ABBS, Phoebe to PHEEBS, Connie to CONS, Alan to ALS and countless more!

PippaZ Wed 20-Jan-21 11:34:43

GrannyRose15

Pippa

I have some sympathy with your view. The problem is however that it is often not the individual who chooses what they are called but friends or in some cases casual acquaintances. I often shorten my own name because many people seem incapable or unwilling to pronounce my full name as I would wish.

I would agree with that though GrannyRose, I think you should be called what you want to be called. Anything else is just bad manners smile

Mollygo Wed 20-Jan-21 18:28:22

My aunt called her daughter Pamela Anne Margaret. She said she expected it’d get shortened, so she arranged the initials.

GrannyRose15 Thu 21-Jan-21 01:58:31

mollygo

What a great idea! I wish I'd thought of that.

Claudiaclaws Thu 21-Jan-21 02:03:04

I think it's pathetic when grown men are called "Andy" I always think of Andy Pandy and then imagine the man in a blue and white cotton suit with a frill.

TerryM Thu 21-Jan-21 06:10:16

My late mother ,born in the 30's was christened Elizabeth
Family eg mum dad aunt siblings etc called her Betty
Non family called her Elizabeth and woe betide you if you said Liz
Father called her Lizbeth
With my son's name husband and I are the only ones to call him that , everyone else calls him a three letter name
My grandson we also use his shortened name
Shortening of names has been around for decades

nanna8 Thu 21-Jan-21 09:00:04

You wouldn’t want to live here, just about everyone shortens everything
Brekkie = breakfast
Sickie = having a day off work. Names are nearly all shortened, it is a form of friendship and endearment I think.
I do it,too, these days.

M0nica Thu 21-Jan-21 22:02:28

I am reading a novel written by Antony Trollope in 1858. Several characters have their names shortened - and what about Little Women? Meg, Jo, Amy and Beth, three of the four names are dimunitives.

The Queen was called Lilibet in the family, after how she first pronounced her own name. then of course there is Good Queen Bess.

No name is so short it cannot be shortened (in which case it usually ends up longer) and the fashion for how a name is shortened varies from generation to generation.

Cladiaclaws that just gives your age away. Most Andys and their parents have no memory of Andy Pandy.