Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you have an Irrational fear?......?

(170 Posts)
Shinamae Wed 20-Jan-21 14:11:17

Mine is and always has been since I was a small girl deep,dark ponds. Obviously as it’s irrational I have no idea where this came from but I have been to ponds when my ex used to go fishing for pike,used to go to a pond in the middle of nowhere big trees all around it and this deep dark pond and I could feel my heart beginning to race just looking at it. Also there is one on Exmoor again right in the middle of nowhere and it is quite famous locally I believe, we went for a picnic there years ago to take the children and my then husband wanted to see it and I had to stay about 50 yards away from it and I can guarantee if you had offered me £1000 to swim from one end of that pond to the other there was no way I would do it....???‍♀️.....

GagaJo Wed 20-Jan-21 14:24:43

Flying. I have spent thousands on therapy with little effect. I still have to do it though. Urgh.

tanith Wed 20-Jan-21 14:40:32

Snakes for me I just can’t watch when they are squirming errrrrr!!! Horrible.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 20-Jan-21 14:42:19

Spiders........shudder....

lemongrove Wed 20-Jan-21 14:43:07

No irrational fears ( some rational ones though, to make up for the loss?)

cornergran Wed 20-Jan-21 14:44:13

Rodents of any kind have me turned to stone, can’t even run away from them.

Rendella Wed 20-Jan-21 14:45:03

Driving, I have tried and tried, but I can’t overcome the fear and dread. It is unfair on DH, but I can’t control it.

Grandmabatty Wed 20-Jan-21 14:48:38

Slugs and snails. I loathe them. I once tore ligaments in my ankle trying to avoid getting near a slug when dog walking.

Woodmouse Wed 20-Jan-21 14:53:38

Big things in water. I could never swim alongside a boat or big ship. Couldn't swim up to the legs of a pier, couldn't dive in deep water down to a wreck.

Sara1954 Wed 20-Jan-21 14:57:04

Same as oopsadaisy, Terrified!

LauraNorder Wed 20-Jan-21 15:03:12

Rats and mice, can’t even watch them on tv or even look at pictures. Mickey and Minnie are okay though.
I do love to fly Gagajo but Orlin developed a fear of flying in his forties, he will not get on a plane anymore. You’re very brave to continue to fly with that fear.

SueDonim Wed 20-Jan-21 15:07:26

Sp*ders, although I think that’s rational, given that they’re the devil’s horsemen. grin

I don’t like woods/forests, I’m always convinced there’ll either be a mad axe murderer in there or that I’ll find a body. I like trees, though!

sart Wed 20-Jan-21 15:12:00

The sea. I am terrified at the thought of being in a ship with all that water beneath me. A friend and I want to go to Ireland when we can but he wants to go by sea but I will have to fly!

Jaxjacky Wed 20-Jan-21 15:14:23

Maggots..don’t even like typing the word!

shysal Wed 20-Jan-21 16:14:03

Dragonflies. I know they are beautiful but I hate the way they stalk me while I am out walking and clash wings with their friends above my head.

EllanVannin Wed 20-Jan-21 16:16:20

Jaxjacky that's my horror too.

GillT57 Wed 20-Jan-21 16:17:59

Walking on wooden piers and seeing the water below does it for me

GagaJo Wed 20-Jan-21 16:23:04

Thank you LauraNorder. I'd like to say it gets easier, but it doesn't. On one flight, since the onset of covid, I was hyperventilating so much, the very kind steward told me I could take my mask off. I didn't, because I am also scared of covid, but...

AGAA4 Wed 20-Jan-21 16:25:40

Spiral staircases where you can see through to the floor below.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 20-Jan-21 16:29:45

Cockroaches.......what’s their purpose.

Stairs that you can see between the treads and below.

Boats, couldn’t watch Titanic.

Shandy57 Wed 20-Jan-21 16:33:49

Getting on a train, I fear I might go down the gap. Far too fat and it'll never happen, but I can't approach the door to get on which is limiting!

WishIwasyounger Wed 20-Jan-21 19:14:09

Oh I can't stand spiders or any otehr creepy crawly. No idea why. I once jumped on a chair just like the films when I saw a mouse run across the room.

LadyGracie Wed 20-Jan-21 19:47:00

Black holes as I see them, cellars, attics and caves, I won't even go out to the bin when it's dark, I'm petrified.
I think it stems from a peeping tom when I was a teenager. Two eyes peering at me through the glass window slats in the bathroom when I lived in Malaysia.

Glorybee Wed 20-Jan-21 20:10:42

Those long green flowing weeds in rivers. I always imagine if you went in they’d wrap around your legs and drag you down!

petra Wed 20-Jan-21 20:16:02

I'm terrified of heights but I love bridges. Never been able to work that one out ?