Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you have an Irrational fear?......?

(171 Posts)
Shinamae Wed 20-Jan-21 14:11:17

Mine is and always has been since I was a small girl deep,dark ponds. Obviously as it’s irrational I have no idea where this came from but I have been to ponds when my ex used to go fishing for pike,used to go to a pond in the middle of nowhere big trees all around it and this deep dark pond and I could feel my heart beginning to race just looking at it. Also there is one on Exmoor again right in the middle of nowhere and it is quite famous locally I believe, we went for a picnic there years ago to take the children and my then husband wanted to see it and I had to stay about 50 yards away from it and I can guarantee if you had offered me £1000 to swim from one end of that pond to the other there was no way I would do it....???‍♀️.....

GranEd Fri 22-Jan-21 15:51:50

Eggs ..... I can’t bear to break the shells because of the slimy, snotty stuff inside! Ugh ? ?

Onwardsandupwards Fri 22-Jan-21 16:30:37

I suffer from an irrational fear which I only recently found out is an actual phobia. It’s megalophobia, a fear of very big objects, ocean liners, sky scrapers etc. If ever I have to get on a plane I have to look at the ground as I’m walking towards it.. Just the thought of having to look up at it brings me out in a cold sweat..

janeymooli Fri 22-Jan-21 16:33:26

Koumpounophobia.....can barely type it!

Lizbethann55 Fri 22-Jan-21 17:15:37

janeymooli I don't know what that is, but I am so glad I don't have it! ( or maybe I do!!!!??)

Shinamae Fri 22-Jan-21 18:37:05

It’s fear of buttons on clothing apparently ?

Lizbethann55 Fri 22-Jan-21 19:10:22

??? that is a seriously inconvenient phobia to have!!! And very horrific I should imagine!

Jaxie Fri 22-Jan-21 20:23:18

Beetles, especially cockroaches. At the Natural History Museum in Oxford there is a large glass case crawling with dozens of live ones. I screamed aloud when I saw it.

Sawsage2 Sat 23-Jan-21 01:05:02

Lifts, even though I have mobility problems, not been in one for 20 years.

welbeck Sat 23-Jan-21 01:45:30

janeymooli

the amish don't allow them, as being too decorative, vain; hooks and eyes only there.

welbeck Sat 23-Jan-21 01:48:02

Sawsage2

Lifts, even though I have mobility problems, not been in one for 20 years.

i knew a young man at work like that. i assumed he waked 7 floors to keep fit, but no. he couldn't abide tunnels either, so could only go on certain rail lines.

arosebyanyothername Sat 23-Jan-21 02:21:14

I'm not happy going under bridges or through tunnels
Unavoidable at times but if the traffic slows or stops I feel sick!

Shinamae Sat 23-Jan-21 09:41:02

Well I’m glad I started this thread,it has been absolutely fascinating....??‍?

Froglady Sat 23-Jan-21 09:46:59

Oh I forgot about revolving doors as I'm terrified about being stuck in one. If I ever have to use one I try to get to the front so I can get out as soon as possible.
Don't know whether this stemmed from watching The Godfather where one of the characters was deliberately trapped in one and then gunned down. That could have caused it.

Chewbacca Sat 23-Jan-21 12:22:50

When travelling by train, I hate to have to step over those huge corrugated rubber connector things between the carriages. The way they sway and move about really does scare me.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 23-Jan-21 14:29:08

I fear those drop-down barriers by many exits of multi-storey car parks as one once came down on the bonnet when I was a learner.
Going down an escalator is scary - I don't mind going up. High see-through platforms feel dangerous - the Eiffel Tower being a case in point. DH told me about six months after our visit that he'd felt scared - it was windy too. You know that you probably won't be blown off but you're scared you might.

Lizbethann55 Sat 23-Jan-21 15:14:42

I hadn't realised how many things I was terrified of till I read this. Then it was all "oh gosh, I hate that too!!" ??

Melathome Sat 20-Mar-21 11:07:02

Cats - unfortunately I have a real phobia of them like some people are with spiders or rodents. People sometimes say “oh mine’s a very nice cat it won’t hurt you” but that’s not the point, my whole body tenses up when a cat is anywhere near me. I’d love to overcome this as it’s a real nuisance.

Blossoming Sat 20-Mar-21 11:13:49

Caves, especially sea caves. I have been caving when I was young and fit and I have no idea where this fear has come from,

sodapop Sat 20-Mar-21 12:23:15

White food. I cannot eat a plate of white food I would sooner go hungry.

Nandalot Sat 20-Mar-21 13:02:31

janeymooli

Button phobia. Didn’t know the name for it so thank you,janeymooli .DGS has this. It is more common than you would think. I noticed it had been mentioned by two others upthread.
Ok for him at the moment as he is in primary school so elasticated trousers and buttons are cut off from his polo shirts. In a year it is secondary school with white shirts.