Gransnet forums

Chat

Is tolerance a weakness or a virtue?

(27 Posts)
DaisyL Mon 25-Jan-21 11:25:22

Sometimes I agree with people just because I don't want to argue with them and sometimes it is because I genuinely try to see both sides of an argument. I had an argument with someone the other day about families travelling to the countryside from the city to give their children fresh air. Of course it is wrong but a friend of mine in London tells me that it is impossible to social distance in any London park. It must be so difficult so I have sympathy and have no idea what I would do in the circumstances but is it worth arguing about or do you just nod in agreement?

Lisagran Sun 31-Jan-21 13:55:10

Sometimes I agree with people just because I don't want to argue with them and sometimes it is because I genuinely try to see both sides of an argument. I would say the second half of your sentence is not that you are necessarily agreeing with them, but rather you are specifically not disagreeing, i.e. you are reserving judgement until you have weighed up the options (e.g. their point of view)

Sometimes one reads something which appears indisputable, but in fact, on closer inspection, can be discussed and disputed. One might imagine that Cyclists who wear helmets are less likely to have an accident is likely to be a valid point. However, I have read that the opposite can be true - as the wearing of helmets can give some people a sense of security that makes them take more risks and, conversely, some motorists are more cautious when driving by cyclists without helmets.