Gransnet forums

Chat

Scams

(17 Posts)
TwinLolly Wed 03-Feb-21 10:10:53

There are scams again.

1. I've had a call to say that I'm being investigated for tax evasion and fraud by the HRMC. It sounded like an automated voice. I hung up immediately.

2. DH got a text message to say that the HMRC were refunding him xyz amount, and to text them his details or call..

They are both scams as HRMC don't call, text or email. They write letters. Please be careful. X

granfromafar Fri 05-Feb-21 08:53:05

That's awful, TwinLolly. Glad you realised that they were both scams. There are so many awful ones going round at the moment, including ones where people are being asked for money in order to book the covid vaccination. Hope no one falls for them. The ones I get are usually from an Indian call centre where they start off by asking "And How are you today?"
There are ways of blocking these numbers from most phones.

ninathenana Fri 05-Feb-21 09:31:28

Had a automated callbon my mobile saying there was a criminal investigation in progress and my N.I. number was being immediately suspended.
Also a text from Halifax, saying click the link if you didn't request the payment to Mrs. Mary Smith. I don't have an account with them. My 11 y.o. GS had the same text ?

Esspee Fri 05-Feb-21 11:23:09

I beg to differ TwinLolly. I often receive genuine emails from HRMC, especially leading up to the income tax deadline.

Esspee Fri 05-Feb-21 11:33:46

I received a call last week from our travel agent to say our holiday at the end of April had been cancelled. The lady needed my account number and sort code to process the refund.
I was pretty sure that it was a genuine call but explained that for security reasons I would be calling back via the office number. (she was working from home) I left it until the next day (never call back immediately as your call can be intercepted) and sure enough it was genuine.
You might say I could have saved time and awkwardness by giving the original caller the information but I was not 100% sure. Unless you personally know the caller it’s better to be cautious EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Reiver Sun 07-Feb-21 15:06:19

Especially an excellent point you bring up,never ring straight back.I being super anxious would have rang tout suite to sort it out.

Sara1954 Sun 07-Feb-21 15:09:11

Yes, I’m another one due a big tax rebate as soon as I send them all my bank details.

Sara1954 Sun 07-Feb-21 15:14:39

We know a lot of these things are scams, but it’s still a bit worrying when it happens, I had a text from my bank, it looked completely genuine, so I didn’t do anything, but I did pop into the bank, they said, yes it’s a scam, and thousands of people are receiving them everyday. I’m sure if they try it enough times, someone will get caught.

ayse Sat 06-Mar-21 17:43:31

Hi, anyone here receiving emails purporting to be from Curry’s saying I’ve won a Dyson! I’ve been specially chosen! Has anyone else received these emails?

Squiffy Sat 06-Mar-21 18:12:41

This week my DH received an email from NSandI, only it wasn't, of course! It looked unbelievably authentic and it would have been very tempting for DH to have clicked on the links within. However, he knows the penalty that will be wreaked on him by me if he ever clicks on links within emails!

The scammers are getting better and better at their games angry

Tizliz Sat 06-Mar-21 18:34:59

ayse

Hi, anyone here receiving emails purporting to be from Curry’s saying I’ve won a Dyson! I’ve been specially chosen! Has anyone else received these emails?

Did you enter a competition with Curry’s? If not then it is definitely a scam

Gwyneth Sat 06-Mar-21 19:01:12

I would go as far as to say that you are lucky to have any communication from HRMC these days unless you owe them money. I’ve been trying for almost a year to get a response to my query!!!!
Thank you for the information though twinlolly

lemsip Sat 06-Mar-21 20:17:20

a relative told me they got a text from royal mail saying they have a parcel for them and a link to go online and pay £2.99 shipping charge.. I checked it out for her and it is a scam. delete it. if you pay this money they have your card details and help themselves to your money
on the official Royal Mail site they have a Warning about this scam.

ayse Sat 06-Mar-21 20:23:05

Definitely not, Tizwizz. I just keep deleting them, nasty things!

MrsEggy Sun 14-Mar-21 17:35:06

Lemsip, I've had a message today (Mother's Day) claiming to be from Royal Mail saying "your package has a £2,99 Shipping Fee, to pay this now please visit ..... action will be taken if you do not pay this fee. How cruel to do this when many mothers may have had gifts through the post.

Trixii Mon 29-Mar-21 12:17:15

I've just had an email purporting to be from the DVLA saying my car is now untaxed as there are insufficient funds to automatically renew it. Looked very genuine. Nearly got caught out, but realised just in time and forwarded it to [email protected]

Deedaa Tue 30-Mar-21 21:09:31

I had a phone call today telling me that my mastercard had been used to take £600 from my bank (no mention of which bank) and the money had been sent abroad. I was to press 1 within the next 15 minutes. Oddly enough I didn't.