Gransnet forums

Chat

Fifty Years Ago

(57 Posts)
mrsmopp Wed 10-Feb-21 18:38:14

It was fifty years ago on 15th February 1971, that we lost our pounds, shillings and pence and converted to decimal currency. It took some getting used to as prices rose sharply and we struggled to get used to what we called ‘funny money’,
Was it to bring us into line with Europe? It’s hard to credit now that the pound was 240 pennies and in future it would be worth 100 pence. Remember?

Witzend Sat 13-Feb-21 10:08:01

It was only the ‘dozens’ I ever sussed out, @Esspee. 12 pennies in a shilling, so 12 x fourpence would be be 4 shillings. And three farthings were 3/4 of a penny, so multiplied by twelve, 3/4 of a shilling, which = ninepence.
Phew!

I was pretty hopeless at maths in general - it took me 2 goes to pass O level, and still only got an E.

rockgran Sat 13-Feb-21 10:16:12

In the 1950s half crowns seemed worth a fortune. I remember when I was about 7 my grandad pressed a coin into my hand and said "here's a penny for you" and it was actually half a crown. I pointed out his 'mistake' but he just smiled. Oh the heady delight of instant wealth! 25p just doesn't seem the same.

rockgran Sat 13-Feb-21 10:17:08

....on reflection ..no it was only 12 and half pence!

trisher Sat 13-Feb-21 11:04:08

Espee and Witzend The quick way of doing that mentally would be to roundthe 43/4 up to 5, 5x12 is 60 then subtract the 12 farthings=3d answer 57d or 4s9d
Children are supposed to be taught shortcuts when doing mental arithmetic like rounding up or down.

Larsonsmum Sat 13-Feb-21 11:08:07

Remember it well as a 13 year old. No issues with converting to Decimal coinage for me. However, I still work in inches, feet and yards, pints and miles!

grandtanteJE65 Sat 13-Feb-21 11:15:08

Exactly JackyB and they all look the same unless I put my reading glasses on!

I had left school when British money was changed and didn't really find the conversion all that difficult, but then we had travelled a lot and I was used to foreign currency that used the metric system.