Gransnet forums

Chat

No Grandchildren

(29 Posts)
mrsmopp Sun 21-Feb-21 11:31:31

We have been hoping for grandchildren but we realise now it’s never going to happen and it’s so sad. We have two sons in their fifties and they both live alone unmarried, and never shown an interest in having a wife or family.
We don’t see then very often as they live five hours drive away. A weekly phone call is all. We love them both so much and have a good relationship with them but I’m very sad that our family will come to an end.
All our friends have so much joy with their families and it’s hard to think it will never happen.

Sunny82z Sun 25-Apr-21 18:42:32

Not everybody is cut out for children and shudder grand children. I see ladies in the supermarket or out walking about my age (60) run ragged by two or three grand children and they just look very grey and tired and having a tough time trying to deal with the kiddies, my heart goes out to them; it looks a grim way to spend retirement from my spectator status.

BlueBelle Sun 25-Apr-21 18:59:15

I m sorry mrsmop it must be very difficult for you ?
Please don’t think all the family things will go in the skip maybe your boys will like the medals and some other things or do you have brothers sisters cousins that may be interested
One of my best friends thought she would never have any grandkids then two came along when she was around 70
I have seven, five are overseas and the two that live nearby are both leaving home this year I love them all to bits but won’t see much of any now
I have a lot of family history done over 20 years but none of them seem interested so I hope someone will keep it and maybe add to it one day but no guarantees
Could you help a deprived child or sponsor one nothing like the same I know but ...

CoffeeFirst Thu 27-May-21 18:46:26

Sorry to hear this ?. We are pretty much in the same position and can’t see it changing unfortunately.
It does make me feel sad and especially the fact that I’m an only child and have so few in the way of family too.