Gransnet forums

Chat

how to help DD?

(31 Posts)
ellienate Fri 12-Mar-21 21:14:57

My DD is pregnant and has DC's from a few years old to young adults.

there are 5 bedrooms and I was told who are in each room; DD and husband, 1 teen, another teen in another room, 2 kids sharing, the last 'bedroom' which is tiny has been made into a nursery for DD's baby due in winter and will only fit one crib.

Her 16 year old has hesitantly announced today that she is also pregnant and my daughter is distraught and has told me about it about two hours ago and I am expected to respond with advice in an email at some point but I don't know what to say.

My DD has told me 16 year old is wanting to keep the baby, but has not thought out how this will work and expects parents to have it sorted.

This will impact my DD's baby, they can barely afford the one they're going to be having let alone two and can't realistically afford to get a bigger house for a few years yet.

It was suggested that I let 16 year old stay here with baby as DD knows I could afford to pay for them much easier than she could and there are two spare bedrooms, they don't have furniture.

It was suggested that I could let her stay here but this is not what I want to do ideally, as I don't think it's right that I would have to pay for the furniture, baby and grand daughter, and I had plans for my spare rooms as selfish as that sounds sad

It seems to be the sensible thing to do to agree to this but do I really have to take on this burden. Ok, I know I don't have to, but don't want to cause resentment and be distanced from family for being selfish.

PamelaJ1 Fri 19-Mar-21 14:12:52

Lots of good advice on here and I was just about to wade in and add my mite but it looks like the OP has left the building.
She has, presumably, made a decision by now.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 20-Mar-21 11:45:16

I don't think you should accept responsiblity for your pregnant granddaughter.

In your place I would invite the girl for a chat, outside if she is not part of your bubble and ask her:

what part the father of the expected bairn plays in all this?

how she intends to support herself and her child?

Offer to contact Citizens's advice with her or for her to ask about social security, maternity benifits, housing etc. for her.

Tell her as kindly as possible that if she wants to keep the baby, she needs to start planning realistically how she is going to support it and herself.

I would also volunteer to talk to the putative father, as no-one else seems to be holding him responsible.

I hope you can get something in place for her. Plenty of women have had a child at her age. It is not what we want to see happen to a girl, but it can turn out well, if she gets the help she needs .

However, continuing to treat her as a dependant child is not the best or kindest thing in these circumstances.

Ngaio1 Sat 20-Mar-21 11:50:23

I wouldn't take on the responsibility of the mother and child. You will be stuck with it for years. Time for the girl to "grow up" and, if she wants to keep the baby, work out a plan. No use relying on other people to clear up the mess you have made. Harsh but true. Good life lesson.

readsalot Sat 20-Mar-21 12:09:54

This really isn't your problem to solve. I understand you love your family and want to help, but you have been a mother and grandmother and your life and home must now surely be yours to enjoy and live how you choose. This has been a shock for all of you, but the baby has a father whose family should be involved too. Just because you are in a better financial position does not mean you have to pay for anything regarding the baby. It's not your responsibility.
What about SIL's family? She is their GC too. Say No and stand back; you can support later if needed. I am sure that after a short time other solutions will become available.

NotSpaghetti Sat 20-Mar-21 12:26:32

No! Just say no.
The 16 year old can have the baby in with her. Tiny babies actually cost very little unless you insist on everything new. It will be months before space becomes an issue (and it may well stay fine anyway). They are lucky to have 5 bedrooms. Most people don't have space for a nursery at all.

I think your daughter is in shock and will feel better soon.