Gransnet forums

Chat

harry and megan

(439 Posts)
earnshaw Mon 03-May-21 11:39:22

it turns out that the publicity shy couple were so keen on privacy that they didnt even want the £38 million wedding we were forced into paying for them, blimey, they could have said something earlier, like before the public coughed up a fortune for security, A list celeb guests and more melodrama than an x factor sob story, they are now claiming they wanted none of that because " it didnt feel like their day ", but they went through it anyway, bless em. They told Oprah that they actually had a private exchange of vows three days before, just the two of them were present as well as the archbishop of canterbury - perfectly normal behaviour, , now that they have aired all their laundry in public to the whole world, they are off to work on that private life they claim to crave, At least until the next big interview comes up

Anniebach Mon 03-May-21 16:44:28

I do ?

Ellianne Mon 03-May-21 16:43:01

Anniebach

I don’t know Elliane but she didn’t sell them to the press surely.

Definitely not!
And there must be quite a few families who have code names for relatives! We do! grin

Anniebach Mon 03-May-21 16:38:14

I don’t know Elliane but she didn’t sell them to the press surely.

Ellianne Mon 03-May-21 16:31:35

I'm always fascinated on the Antiques Roadshow when they say private letters are only meaningful to the writers themselves and almost worthless beyond that. Even so we can learn a lot about the author and their times.
Didn't Queen Victoria write horrible letters to one of her daughters?

Anniebach Mon 03-May-21 16:31:02

I am sure some will see the difference between private letters
and a tv interview.

Regardless of what he said in letters he didn’t plunge the knife into the backs of his blood family publicly.

Anniebach Mon 03-May-21 16:27:42

So pleased you have a friend Alegrias

Anniebach Mon 03-May-21 16:26:47

They were private letters , what he called his niece was his choice, he didn’t say it publicly.

Wonder why he and his wife wanted to be buried in the royal
burial ground.

Alegrias1 Mon 03-May-21 16:25:47

The D0W died in 1972 and the letters were released in 1988.

16 years.

The Duchess sanctioned their release in 1975.

Google is my friend.

Alegrias1 Mon 03-May-21 16:22:22

Yet, somehow they are in the public domain...because the Duchess allowed them to be published. We can only speculate on what she wanted to achieve by doing so.

Would it have been OK if he had only said those things behind everyone's backs? And we hadn't known, for instance, that he repeatedly referred to Churchill as "Cry Baby" and the Queen as "Shirley Temple"?

Emily49 Mon 03-May-21 16:20:39

Anniebach

Wish we could have a thread discussing the monarchy

shock. confused. Seriously??

Anniebach Mon 03-May-21 16:18:58

Interesting, Private letters released 50 years after his death

Ellianne Mon 03-May-21 16:18:19

I assume that those letters were private correspondence Alegrias, not for public scrutiny?

Callistemon Mon 03-May-21 16:17:22

they could have said something earlier, like before the public coughed up a fortune for security

Their faces were already on the tea towels.
They had to go through with it.

Mind you, if they'd called it off, those teatowels would be worth double now.

Alegrias1 Mon 03-May-21 16:12:12

In the letters, published by the Daily Mail, the duke [of Windsor] refers to some of his relations as “a seedy, worn out bunch of old hags” and says of his dying mother: “I’m afraid her veins have always been as icy cold as they are in death.”

www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1988-06-20-mn-3553-story.html

Sweetheart.

Anniebach Mon 03-May-21 16:09:56

What makes people publicly speak of their families, not with kindness but with bile, i will never understand this.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 03-May-21 16:08:03

* was - apologies should have been were.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 03-May-21 16:07:27

I think he would have jumped at the chance if Oprah or similar was around.

suziewoozie Mon 03-May-21 16:00:41

Anniebach

Harry is the only the member of the royal family to publicly criticise his blood family, the Duke of Windsor didn’t.

The Duke of W was a bloody Hitler supporting fascist but hey as long as he didn’t go on Oprah ???

Lucca Mon 03-May-21 15:58:16

Alegrias1

He who must not be named and all his celebrity pals done good:

^The event raised $53.8 million (£38.8 million) for Covax, which is working to to ensure vaccines are shared fairly among all nations, rich and poor. Organisers said it was enough to help purchase almost 10.3 million vaccine doses.^

That is a great result! Surely that’s the important thing.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 03-May-21 15:51:42

It is good to learn that the Concert raised millions for COVAX.

Anniebach Mon 03-May-21 15:49:28

Harry is the only the member of the royal family to publicly criticise his blood family, the Duke of Windsor didn’t.

suziewoozie Mon 03-May-21 14:59:04

Atqui

Thank you all forTAAT infosmile

Sorry for ignoring you first time around.

Atqui Mon 03-May-21 14:56:45

Thank you all forTAAT infosmile

suziewoozie Mon 03-May-21 14:55:39

Lillie

There are some very genuine posters on these threads.
Then there are those who sound like a stuck record.
It is laughable because the latter keep banging on and on far worse than the posters they want to criticise.
Very ironic.

That’s a pretty rude post imo - who are you saying isn’t genuine and what criteria are you judging them by? I really dislike posts like yours which just generalise and cast nasty aspersions around.

trisher Mon 03-May-21 14:52:30

Namsnanny

Ellianne, I can remember him being introduced as Harry at some event or another, and the host(ess) being quite clear that this was the first of many events that he was to be known by just Harry from now on.

Well that died a quick death didn't it?

I do accept there is no financial worth in him (to employers) without his connection to the RF.

So if I can work this out why didn't he?

All set up to feed the publicity mill from the off.
No publicity is bad publicity say the people in the business of advertising, and they should know.
All part of the H&M band wagon.

So are you saying that he shouldn't have been at a fundraising event or that he shouldn't do any fundraising now because he isn't part of the RF?
Are the RF the only people permitted to fundraise?
Should all the money raised for Covax be sent back? Perhaps with an apology- "Some GNers think this money was raised under false pretences Harry is no longer a member of the RF. Although his dad will be King and his granny is the Queen"