Gransnet forums

Chat

Why are so many people so angry?

(96 Posts)
Ealdemodor Thu 06-May-21 12:09:04

My husband is a lorry driver, delivering building materials to sites or people’s homes.
He often has to block the road for the short duration he is unloading with a crane or “grabber”.
This morning, some crazed hothead started arguing with the builder and refusing to move his car. He then tried to let down the lorry tyre with a screwdriver, which my husband at first feared was a knife.
This kind of incident is sadly not unusual. My husband is often sworn at and even threatened.
It seems to be the default setting for so many people now - a minor inconvenience, so let’s go berserk.

timetogo2016 Sat 08-May-21 17:29:45

You can`t beat a good belly laugh nanna8,thank you,you have made my day.

GraceQuirrel Sat 08-May-21 18:30:42

I used to work in customer services in a supermarket. You would not believe the abuse and nastiness from customers over the smallest things. I had a lady scream and shout at me for being overcharged for something by 45p and when I offered to correct it without quibble she told me to refund her card…..a Coutts card.

Jaxie Sat 08-May-21 18:39:55

What amazes me is how nasty people have been to me when I have been parked outside my own house on a single track road toiling up and down the garden steps with heavy shopping. I was called an idiot by one young man even. He didn’t want to wait the five minutes it took me to unload and move off. I’m a white- haired old granny. Would he like his own mother or grand them to be spoken to like that? He could have offered to carry my heavy bags for me.

Bumboseat1 Sat 08-May-21 19:28:13

I don’t know why people are so angry, last year my brother parked his car out my neighbour house, he came out shouting at my brother saying he was allowed to park there ! And saying better not leave your car there as it might get damaged, haven’t spoken to him since

Cabbie21 Sat 08-May-21 19:39:39

Phew, so much anger! I am thankful I live in a peaceful area. The worst behaviour is from young lads who intimidate others, ride bikes the wrong way down a one way street, do wheelies in the road, steal bikes, tip plants out of pots etc. Seems mild in comparison.

Harris27 Sat 08-May-21 19:50:57

Definitely agree with this thread. I’ve witnessed some appalling behaviour recently once everyone out clapping now everyone out scrapping!

Yorki Sat 08-May-21 20:03:02

I totally agree with you. It seems to be a drivers default setting, to kick off at other motorists for no good reason, delivery drivers of any kind have a job to do, and delivering building materials often involves lengthy drop of times with larger than average lorries. There's no need for aggression, they need to understand what's going on and the job has to be done. It's ridiculous how some drivers carry on, they should be ashamed of themselves. There's no excuse for such behaviour. I feel sad for your husband.

Lin52 Sat 08-May-21 21:26:13

NanaPlenty

So many people are rude, aggressive a d have no patience whatsoever, especially on the road. Having said that there all also some people on the road that shouldn’t be - driving standards are absolutely dreadful.

Yes I agree, driving standards are appalling , undertaking and driving along a pavement, simply because car in front of them had to stop and turn right, swerving into opposite side of road because someone slowed to turn left, just two examples I’ve witnessed, all signs of poor driving skills and impatience, they don’t drive a car, they get behind the wheel and aim it. Sorry about the rant, but becoming more dangerous.

valdali Sat 08-May-21 21:41:22

My husband was sworn at by a mum on school run. She took issue with him driving down the road when the children were coming out.I don't think she realised that she was parking outside our house and that's where he was going - bit rich to be told you shouldn't use your own street.

Freespirit55 Sat 08-May-21 21:47:36

I would definitely agree that some people have got more aggressive. My neighbors are a problem, controlling behaviour just because they want something their way. It’s petty and unreasonable how some people behave

seadragon Sat 08-May-21 23:12:41

"Eastenders" and their ilk have become the models for behaviour. I stopped watching decades ago but still see clips occasionally and they are all about screaming and yelling at each other...

Gigi2 Sun 09-May-21 01:01:51

When you get overcrowding in any country people get angry - we are the most populated country in Europe with no end insight

nanna8 Sun 09-May-21 02:39:44

You’re right there about crowding. I think the amount of aggro on the roads is far worse in the crowded suburbs. People are stressed and delayed. It was lovely for that short time during the isolation when only locals were on the road.

maddyone Sun 09-May-21 11:47:59

...everyone out clapping now everyone out scrapping!

Have a look at any threads about GPs on this forum. The anger from some posters is unbelievable. Last year they were clapping for them.

love0c Sun 09-May-21 11:54:46

I see a lot of the 'clappers' are now the 'scrappers'!

MayBee70 Sun 09-May-21 12:19:14

I never clapped for the NHS last year (all of my neighbours did) but I was the only one in my street protesting about the 1% pay rise a few weeks ago.

maddyone Sun 09-May-21 12:32:44

Yes indeed Maybee that upsets me too.
There do seem to be a lot of angry Gransnetters on lots of threads. Maybe the pandemic has caused people to feel so angry. Lots of angry people who aren’t on Gransnet too judging by this thread.

Chewbacca Sun 09-May-21 12:39:27

I wonder if the perpetually angry posters on GN are the same people who are perpetually angry on the roads and in shops?

MayBee70 Sun 09-May-21 12:59:26

I’m a right old Mrs Grumpy these days but am still pleasant and polite to people when I’m out and about or if I’m dealing with something on the phone etc. I was just brought up to be polite to people. Which doesn’t mean to say that I don’t ever get angry with people. But if I do it’s because something really bad or dangerous has happened and my anger actually makes me feel quite ill. When I do get angry it really surprises people.

moggie57 Mon 10-May-21 11:44:55

because some people think the world should revolves around them ,and they do not give time for kindness and patience .younger people are angrier ,they dont like being told what to do ..thats why in this virus time many break the rules .