Gransnet forums

Chat

Why are so many people so angry?

(96 Posts)
Ealdemodor Thu 06-May-21 12:09:04

My husband is a lorry driver, delivering building materials to sites or people’s homes.
He often has to block the road for the short duration he is unloading with a crane or “grabber”.
This morning, some crazed hothead started arguing with the builder and refusing to move his car. He then tried to let down the lorry tyre with a screwdriver, which my husband at first feared was a knife.
This kind of incident is sadly not unusual. My husband is often sworn at and even threatened.
It seems to be the default setting for so many people now - a minor inconvenience, so let’s go berserk.

moggie57 Mon 10-May-21 11:44:55

because some people think the world should revolves around them ,and they do not give time for kindness and patience .younger people are angrier ,they dont like being told what to do ..thats why in this virus time many break the rules .

MayBee70 Sun 09-May-21 12:59:26

I’m a right old Mrs Grumpy these days but am still pleasant and polite to people when I’m out and about or if I’m dealing with something on the phone etc. I was just brought up to be polite to people. Which doesn’t mean to say that I don’t ever get angry with people. But if I do it’s because something really bad or dangerous has happened and my anger actually makes me feel quite ill. When I do get angry it really surprises people.

Chewbacca Sun 09-May-21 12:39:27

I wonder if the perpetually angry posters on GN are the same people who are perpetually angry on the roads and in shops?

maddyone Sun 09-May-21 12:32:44

Yes indeed Maybee that upsets me too.
There do seem to be a lot of angry Gransnetters on lots of threads. Maybe the pandemic has caused people to feel so angry. Lots of angry people who aren’t on Gransnet too judging by this thread.

MayBee70 Sun 09-May-21 12:19:14

I never clapped for the NHS last year (all of my neighbours did) but I was the only one in my street protesting about the 1% pay rise a few weeks ago.

love0c Sun 09-May-21 11:54:46

I see a lot of the 'clappers' are now the 'scrappers'!

maddyone Sun 09-May-21 11:47:59

...everyone out clapping now everyone out scrapping!

Have a look at any threads about GPs on this forum. The anger from some posters is unbelievable. Last year they were clapping for them.

nanna8 Sun 09-May-21 02:39:44

You’re right there about crowding. I think the amount of aggro on the roads is far worse in the crowded suburbs. People are stressed and delayed. It was lovely for that short time during the isolation when only locals were on the road.

Gigi2 Sun 09-May-21 01:01:51

When you get overcrowding in any country people get angry - we are the most populated country in Europe with no end insight

seadragon Sat 08-May-21 23:12:41

"Eastenders" and their ilk have become the models for behaviour. I stopped watching decades ago but still see clips occasionally and they are all about screaming and yelling at each other...

Freespirit55 Sat 08-May-21 21:47:36

I would definitely agree that some people have got more aggressive. My neighbors are a problem, controlling behaviour just because they want something their way. It’s petty and unreasonable how some people behave

valdali Sat 08-May-21 21:41:22

My husband was sworn at by a mum on school run. She took issue with him driving down the road when the children were coming out.I don't think she realised that she was parking outside our house and that's where he was going - bit rich to be told you shouldn't use your own street.

Lin52 Sat 08-May-21 21:26:13

NanaPlenty

So many people are rude, aggressive a d have no patience whatsoever, especially on the road. Having said that there all also some people on the road that shouldn’t be - driving standards are absolutely dreadful.

Yes I agree, driving standards are appalling , undertaking and driving along a pavement, simply because car in front of them had to stop and turn right, swerving into opposite side of road because someone slowed to turn left, just two examples I’ve witnessed, all signs of poor driving skills and impatience, they don’t drive a car, they get behind the wheel and aim it. Sorry about the rant, but becoming more dangerous.

Yorki Sat 08-May-21 20:03:02

I totally agree with you. It seems to be a drivers default setting, to kick off at other motorists for no good reason, delivery drivers of any kind have a job to do, and delivering building materials often involves lengthy drop of times with larger than average lorries. There's no need for aggression, they need to understand what's going on and the job has to be done. It's ridiculous how some drivers carry on, they should be ashamed of themselves. There's no excuse for such behaviour. I feel sad for your husband.

Harris27 Sat 08-May-21 19:50:57

Definitely agree with this thread. I’ve witnessed some appalling behaviour recently once everyone out clapping now everyone out scrapping!

Cabbie21 Sat 08-May-21 19:39:39

Phew, so much anger! I am thankful I live in a peaceful area. The worst behaviour is from young lads who intimidate others, ride bikes the wrong way down a one way street, do wheelies in the road, steal bikes, tip plants out of pots etc. Seems mild in comparison.

Bumboseat1 Sat 08-May-21 19:28:13

I don’t know why people are so angry, last year my brother parked his car out my neighbour house, he came out shouting at my brother saying he was allowed to park there ! And saying better not leave your car there as it might get damaged, haven’t spoken to him since

Jaxie Sat 08-May-21 18:39:55

What amazes me is how nasty people have been to me when I have been parked outside my own house on a single track road toiling up and down the garden steps with heavy shopping. I was called an idiot by one young man even. He didn’t want to wait the five minutes it took me to unload and move off. I’m a white- haired old granny. Would he like his own mother or grand them to be spoken to like that? He could have offered to carry my heavy bags for me.

GraceQuirrel Sat 08-May-21 18:30:42

I used to work in customer services in a supermarket. You would not believe the abuse and nastiness from customers over the smallest things. I had a lady scream and shout at me for being overcharged for something by 45p and when I offered to correct it without quibble she told me to refund her card…..a Coutts card.

timetogo2016 Sat 08-May-21 17:29:45

You can`t beat a good belly laugh nanna8,thank you,you have made my day.

Rabbit Sat 08-May-21 17:17:51

Dear Ealdemor, I strongly advise your husband to contact his line manager/head office, with the list of dates/times/places when the incidents of harassments & threats of not only physical harm to him but also to a property of the company (a vehicle) occurred. It should go on file with the HR Department. Reason - he suffered psychological/physical harm. Vehicle is disabled - hence calling the police, he can't travel - taxi expenses to get home, hospital bills, etc. You've got my gist. He should demand (not ask meekly) a body camera. I used to work as an office manager in a huge care consortium. We had staff travelling to/from work to residential care homes. In one rough estate area of West London (Greenford) we had cases of bullying of care staff & clients while on a walk in the neighbourhood & damage to staff's parked personal vehicles. We involved police, prosecuted the tenants of the estate, gave body cameras & personal alarms to staff. Yes, I would add it to the body camera. When next your husband is verbally/physically attacked he should pull the pin out. I can assure you - it works a treat on criminals. The noise is a high-pitched siren of unbearable volume. I rather like it personally myself (I started as a carer in the same area before graduating from the Uni & becoming a head of reception in the head office. After a year, I was promoted to the post of the Office Manager. One of my duties was preparing all paperwork re: staff to the HR Department. Hope this info helps. In the meantime, your husband should demand a work mobile with the camera to record the incidents - a face/body of an attacker, the neighbourhood - exact place where it happened & e-mal it straight to the HR Department, also to the police, if the company sits on its hands This abhorrent, criminal & unlawfulbehaviour by the members of the public should not be tolerated.

BAGGYGRANNY Sat 08-May-21 17:12:12

How I agree with this post!
Road users especially are impatient,cut in front even ifyou are doing the speed limit ! The look as they pass is laughable especially as I am a senior citizen . If I get a shake of the fist ( traffic conditions safe) I smile and wave back
Pleased I have not driven for a while
Keep smiling gransnetters ?

Nanananana1 Sat 08-May-21 16:59:04

Generally speaking where we live is a pleasant little small town full of nice folk, chatty and friendly, kind and courteous but we do get a lot of 'incomers' who seem to think the town is here for their convenience and entertainment.

The parking on pavements, the yelling, the dog excrement, cycling on pavements and litter are heartbreaking to a small community where we try hard to take care of our environment and be proud of what we are lucky to have

Of course visitors are welcome as they boost the local trade, fill the cafes and bring a welcome holiday season to our quiet backwater but it does seem people are getting stroppier, more 'entitled' and are arguing and screaming at us as if it is their 'right' to use our hard work as their playground to use and abuse as they please

During lockdown I have both been amazed at how kind and warm people have been and also how some can be so rude and arrogant too

I am practising Zen and my 'looks' that my sons used to say made them freeze in their tracks!

earnshaw Sat 08-May-21 16:23:10

i have had no personal experience of the pandemic bringing people together, only of mobs declaring that the pandemic is a hoax, ant maskers and anti vaxxers, such angry from so many, even the illegal raves, mainly young ones look crazy, i know we can blame the pandemic and mental health partly for this but if i have to hear again someone say that they need to go abroad for a holiday because of mental health i will scream

lemongrove Sat 08-May-21 16:16:50

pinkjj27

My friend's son is a Binman and he gets this almost every day, road rage because the lorry slows up traffic and this went on long before covid.
A friend of mine has just been trolled on Facebook with very nasty threats over a post about flowers.
I just think we live in a world where people are so entitled they think they are more important than others and think its ok to express anger when they feel like it.

Good post, I agree ??