Gransnet forums

Chat

How would you feel if you had to retake your driving licence in full- when over 70?

(174 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Kali2 Fri 14-May-21 10:25:47

Interested to know how people would feel about this.

grant1 Wed 19-May-21 20:07:15

@Froglady Wouldn't re-testing at regular intervals as people age dismiss the "assume that 70 year olds can't drive safely anymore" dilemma and provide an avenue to know for sure exactly which 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90 (and over) year olds are at risk for causing an accident due to reduced reaction times, mobility or vision issues related to age? Seems as though if one is completely confident in driving ability (at any age), re-taking a driving test shouldn't be a problem, especially given that you now have years of experience behind the wheel. Just my opinion and not trying to be argumentative here. Of course, the young and inexperienced frequently cause the most accidents but I guess we all have to start somewhere. confused

MayBee70 Wed 19-May-21 20:51:58

Craftycat

I am 70 & I would prefer not to take a test. I have been driving since I was 18 & the only accident I have ever had was when someone ( I'm afraid it was a woman!) drove into the back of me while I was stationery at traffic lights. I think I drive at the correct speed for the road & I am quite happy on motorways too.
I am quite comfortable taking my DGCs out in the car. I think my husband (who has been driving for about 35 years) drives much too fast most of the time & I hate him driving my car if I am in it too.

You sound like me (I, too had someone drive into me while I was stationary at traffic lights: hit and run, too. Had someone been crossing he would have pushed me into them). I don’t drive on motorways because I have no need to. DH, who is a good driver says he feels perfectly happy when I’m driving. If I couldn’t drive would I have to rely on Uber drivers who I don’t know and have no idea how safe their driving is. Do they take special tests? We once had a taxi drive us to Manchester airport and we’re terrified. His driving was awful. I felt bad because it was my idea as I didn’t want DH to drive when he was tired.

Summerlove Thu 20-May-21 12:26:03

Janetashbolt

I'd not pass the full test, including hazard and theory but I agree there should be a reduced test for older drivers MUST include an official eye test

Why a reduced test? Surely theory is just as important?

Froglady Fri 21-May-21 13:27:03

grant1

@Froglady Wouldn't re-testing at regular intervals as people age dismiss the "assume that 70 year olds can't drive safely anymore" dilemma and provide an avenue to know for sure exactly which 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90 (and over) year olds are at risk for causing an accident due to reduced reaction times, mobility or vision issues related to age? Seems as though if one is completely confident in driving ability (at any age), re-taking a driving test shouldn't be a problem, especially given that you now have years of experience behind the wheel. Just my opinion and not trying to be argumentative here. Of course, the young and inexperienced frequently cause the most accidents but I guess we all have to start somewhere. confused

Yes, I like your idea of regular testing.

Kali2 Fri 21-May-21 13:38:55

Lots of very interesting answers, thanks. As one who has had a fil, a mother and a father- who all drove way beyond the time when they should have given up their car- I realise how hard it is to give up driving- especially for those in more remote areas and without public transport.

My mum had 2 minor accidents, only damage to the car and a lamp-post- and gave in her licence. She had been driving for 80 years and was previously a brilliant driver.

Dad waited much longer, but again, gave up when he drove into a railway crossing and wrote his car out. Actually no, he got another car- too powerful and changed to automatic- and 'frit' himself and sold it. Thank goodness they both stopped before run over a child. They both said 'oh but we only drive locally' - but a child can cross the road a few feet from your house! As for my fil, he had his licence removed twice, then still continued to drive, least said. Again, thank goodness nothing happened. He gave up after his 3rd heart attack.

My post however was related to those British expats living in Italy, France or Spain- often in very rural areas- who are now unable to swap their driving licences as required for non EU residents. Many have done the right thing, sent their licences to be swapped, which were returned with 'no need' - and now find it impossible, either because they are over 70, or licence has expired in meantime, etc.

In France, if they have to retake, they will have to do so in French, including the theory course and the first aid course. And even if they are good, safe drivers- I'd say this would be very daunting for many. Can you imagine?

Peasblossom Fri 21-May-21 14:05:51

Actually it doesn’t change my thinking one jot.

Anybody, of any age or nationality, no matter where should be able to pass the test required by a country to ensure that it’s citizens are safe, in charge of vehicle on its public roads.

If you can pass you can drive. If you can’t, you shouldn’t be on the road.

MawBe Fri 21-May-21 15:17:20

My post however was related to those British expats living in Italy, France or Spain- often in very rural areas- who are now unable to swap their driving licences as required for non EU residents. Many have done the right thing, sent their licences to be swapped, which were returned with 'no need' - and now find it impossible, either because they are over 70, or licence has expired in meantime, etc.

Oh Kali2 it is a good idea to give some idea of context when asking a “simple” question in an OP, in the same way that the Passports thread was initially vague and prompted the question “ Why are you asking”

Then those who had been lulled into what seemed to be a general discussion might not have been so disillusioned when it degenerated into yet another Brexit-bashing winkwink

Callistemon Fri 21-May-21 15:29:34

Sorry, I didn't see realise that this was addressed to British ex-pats.

However, my views still stand.

theworriedwell Fri 21-May-21 15:37:36

To answer the question I'd be nervous but I've got 2 years to polish up my skills.

Maybe everyone should have retests, say every ten years.

MayBee70 Fri 21-May-21 16:33:08

Has anything been done to stop people driving and using a mobile phone by the way? I do see less people doing it but that may be because I don’t go out much these days.

welbeck Fri 21-May-21 16:34:18

it's a good idea to do some basic first aid/emergency procedures, with it.

muse Fri 21-May-21 16:50:20

MayBee70

Has anything been done to stop people driving and using a mobile phone by the way? I do see less people doing it but that may be because I don’t go out much these days.

I'm quoting from Gov.UK:

It’s illegal to hold a phone or sat nav while driving or riding a motorcycle. You must have hands-free access, such as:

a bluetooth headset
voice command
a dashboard holder or mat
a windscreen mount
a built-in sat nav
The device must not block your view of the road and traffic ahead.

You must stay in full control of your vehicle at all times. The police can stop you if they think you’re not in control because you’re distracted and you can be prosecuted.

The law still applies to you if you’re:

**stopped at traffic lights
**queuing in traffic
supervising a learner driver

** I still see these happening

MayBee70 Fri 21-May-21 18:00:41

I used to see people turning right at t junctions in our village with one hand on the phone.

Kali2 Fri 21-May-21 18:03:53

Callistemon

^My post however was related to those British expats living in Italy, France or Spain- often in very rural areas- who are now unable to swap their driving licences as required for non EU residents. Many have done the right thing, sent their licences to be swapped, which were returned with 'no need' - and now find it impossible, either because they are over 70, or licence has expired in meantime, etc.^

Sorry, I didn't see realise that this was addressed to British ex-pats.

However, my views still stand.

It was not - but that is the context and what prompted my question.

sillydevil Fri 21-May-21 23:34:55

I'm over 70 and would not have a problem with it. In fact I'd go further, all drivers should have to take a 10 year refresher driving test and license removed if the tester feels you are not up to spec.

Lolo81 Sat 22-May-21 03:49:10

My DH is a coach driver and has to have a medical (at our expense) to maintain his professional licence. One at 50, 55, 60 and then every 2 years after that.

It cost us about £80 for the last one and the price goes up every time. That said, so much damage can be done if someone who isn’t fit and able to safely drive gets behind the wheel, and for my DH he has the lives of 50 other people in his hands, so it’s essential that he is capable.

I’d definitely advocate for some sort of system to make sure all drivers are still fit and able to drive, if it’s a requirement for professional drivers to test their health/eyesight/reactions which can diminish with age, then surely that supports the assumption that it is a possible scenario for anyone who still drives into retirement/old age.

LuckyFour Sun 30-May-21 10:53:19

I'm not keen on the idea of driving tests for older people. I'm not sure I would pass! I live in a country area where there are two buses a day to town and back. I mainly drive on country roads but I do use very busy city roads when necessary. I'm not keen on the idea of driving a long way eg South West to Scotland on mainly motorways. So fast and unforgiving.

MayBee70 Sun 30-May-21 10:58:05

You sound just like me. And the pandemic has made it worse as I don’t want to use public transport (what there is ) these days. I wouldn’t even be able to visit my daughter who only lives 5 minutes drive away.

Summerlove Sun 30-May-21 20:19:58

LuckyFour

I'm not keen on the idea of driving tests for older people. I'm not sure I would pass! I live in a country area where there are two buses a day to town and back. I mainly drive on country roads but I do use very busy city roads when necessary. I'm not keen on the idea of driving a long way eg South West to Scotland on mainly motorways. So fast and unforgiving.

Unfortunately, it’s people who wouldn’t pass, but continue driving anyway knowing that, that make testing all the more necessary.

Accidents still happen on country roads!

I find this attitude of “I know I’m not safe enough to pass, but I want to drive anyway!” Very interesting.

MayBee70 Sun 30-May-21 20:26:39

I disagree. One of the things about getting older is realising there are some things we can’t do as well. I know my reactions probably aren’t as good as they were. Maybe all the people in this thread that are convinced they would pass a driving test easily are not aware of being older and having slower reactions and are over confident.

Peasblossom Sun 30-May-21 20:45:29

It doesn’t really matter whether you’re confident you’ll pass or you’re not confident.

What matters is whether you can pass the test.

People who think the test is a good idea want to know if they’re not safe on the road. And people who dont want the test would rather keep driving even if they’re not safe.?

MayBee70 Sun 30-May-21 21:42:11

I’d be interested to find out if and when we do have to take the test how many of the Uber confident drivers pass compared to those of us that do acknowledge that we’re older and our responses are slower and we have changed our driving habits to compensate for it. I think there might be a few surprises.

Peasblossom Sun 30-May-21 21:54:35

Both kinds will have some shocks I think.

That’s why a test is a good idea.